Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:they decided to omni Daredevil and replaced that one I guess, but they still do Spidey as well and Rulk got one recently.

Warren Ellis's Iron Man is in the current Previews in the format.

And they stopped doing 616 Spidey.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Chris wrote:And they stopped doing 616 Spidey.

meh... probably because of the three a month. Plus really did people want to pay more for JMS's run?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:23 pm

thefourthman wrote:meh... probably because of the three a month. Plus really did people want to pay more for JMS's run?

IIRC, those sold well.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:05 pm

not that it really matters, I guess, cause Chris made his choice, but I just got an email from Radical saying that The Last Days of American Crime will ship next week.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:53 pm

this was some of the most fun I have had reading a comic in a while

the art was spot on for a what I expected a Disney book to be. Story wise, this book would not only be fun for a 6 year old, but also a parent of a 6 year old to read. Some nice homages to the X-men and Booster Gold. Of course the humor was simple and juvenile, its a kids book, and it read just like I think a cartoon of this would have been written if this had aired during the after-school years of Duck Tales and Darkwing Duck.

The amount of comic I got for 2.99 was outstanding, and I look forward to giving this book to my neighbor's kid and helping ot get him into reading, and comic books.

A book like this, with an easy to understand plot that continues to the next issue but is not dependent on a previous one is exactly what can "hook" children on to comics. For me it was Rocky And Bullwinke, and for my brother it was Ren & Stimpy

story - 8
art - 8
value - 9 (not weighed equally)

overall 8.2 (ish)

inspired choice 4thy
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:not that it really matters, I guess, cause Chris made his choice, but I just got an email from Radical saying that The Last Days of American Crime will ship next week.

that's the one with 64 pages and only costs $3.99 right?
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:56 pm

GHERU wrote:that's the one with 64 pages and only costs $3.99 right?

yeah!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:yeah!

Isn't it $4.99?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Punchy wrote:Isn't it $4.99?

okay 4.99, still three times as much new content as GSWOML and it is square bound as well, making it a sturdier product and probably a better product, it may be prettier and with OML that is actually saying something.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:okay 4.99, still three times as much new content as GSWOML and it is square bound as well, making it a sturdier product and probably a better product, it may be prettier and with OML that is actually saying something.

Square binding can't make up for boring as fuck Rick Remender writing. I'm getting sleepy just thinking about reading it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:13 pm

amlah6 wrote:Square binding can't make up for boring as fuck Rick Remender writing. I'm getting sleepy just thinking about reading it.

fuck you.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:40 pm

thefourthman wrote:not that it really matters, I guess, cause Chris made his choice, but I just got an email from Radical saying that The Last Days of American Crime will ship next week.

Would've still picked Hellboy. I'm trade waiting on that book.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:05 pm

Jess Nukem wrote:Huh. I guess I'll be the first to review this thing in a few minutes. I just ventured into a comic book store for the first time in months to pick up Jonah Hex and this week's pick. Jonah was just plain awesome but I don't wanna do a review on it since no one cares anymore.

Not that anyone here would ever admit to caring in the first place. :lol:

But if you feel like writing the Hex review, do so.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Old Man wrote:Not that anyone here would ever admit to caring in the first place. :lol:

But if you feel like writing the Hex review, do so.

I will be writing one of those there Jonah Hex reviews tomorrow.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Jess Nukem wrote:Anyway, the writing is a little clunky, but it was translated so you have to give it some leeway to the writer and blame it all on the translator. Because obviously, the artwork is totally capable and dare I say, well paced and with a smooth flow. Writer gets 7/10. Translator 6/10.

The artwork is fantastically cartoony. People poohpooh on cartoony artwork in comics, but in a talking animal comic, this guy is like a Joe Madueria. They still look Disney, but it's nicely modernized without too much deviation. I will post some panels later to show the strengths. However, some details are lacking and we're left with quite a few of panels without a background. I also had to a double take since the lettering and the art didn't mesh too well.

Yeah, translations are a problem when they are literal translations. Best to literally translate, then slightly re-write for a smoother story.

And don't forget that along with the translation, the lettering has to be re-done, too. That's probably why it doesn't mesh.
Last edited by Old Man on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand