Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:57 am

GHERU wrote:rest of review group not 4thy wrote:
this book was for kids and sucked
I hated it
total score 7.8

if you disagree you are an asshole
if you disrespect my opinion you are an asshole
no, that double standard does not make me a hypocrite cause I think that Nazis are bad

I am not sure what this is supposed to mean :?

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 287 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:03 am

48THRiLLS wrote:I am not sure what this is supposed to mean :?

its a drunken prediction
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:26 am

GHERU wrote:its a drunken prediction

Well, since my shop didn't have this Gheru apparently wrote my review form me. 8)

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 287 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:28 am

48THRiLLS wrote:Well, since my shop didn't have this Gheru apparently wrote my review form me. 8)

i meant that prediction for people who read the book
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:17 am

about half way through reading it right now, just had to say. Holy shit is that a pretty comic!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:49 am

Just read this, it was OK, the art was very nice, but it was pretty boilerplate superhero stuff, nothing to set it apart really, if this didn't have Mickey and Goofy in it, it would be much worse.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:58 am

that's kind of the point though. If you take the superpowers out of incognito, you get a run of the mill witness protection crime story... but you add super powered villains and it becomes cooler than the sum of its parts.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:42 am

Review written, uploading presently.

score

for adults story 4
art 8

for kids
story 7
art 10

overall 7.25

a fun and delightful book. I am glad there is a bunch of hype surrounding Boom's revitilization of the Disney comics, it is well deserved and hopefully Disney and Boom can both profit from a long and healthy partnership.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:55 am

I couldn't finish this comic. There was nothing there for me, and there was nothign there to make me turn the page. I was already flipping dialogue but it just wasn't for me. I don't want to give a score as I literally can't finish it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:56 am

thefourthman wrote:that's kind of the point though. If you take the superpowers out of incognito, you get a run of the mill witness protection crime story... but you add super powered villains and it becomes cooler than the sum of its parts.

But didn't the Disney books used to have their own styles and types of stories? Now they are just other genres (Fantasy, superhero) with Mickey and Donald shoved in there.

It's kind of a shame this book has had to become a superhero book to get noticed.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:12 am

Punchy wrote:But didn't the Disney books used to have their own styles and types of stories? Now they are just other genres (Fantasy, superhero) with Mickey and Donald shoved in there.

It's kind of a shame this book has had to become a superhero book to get noticed.

The Disney books have always told whatever kind of story they wanted. The Mickey Mouse is telling a fantasy story right now.

That has always been the deal with the Disney books. This is not, nor will it be the last time, that the Disney Characters have been used in superhero stories, be it Darkwing Duck or Mickey Mouse Meets The Blot. There have been Disney Superhero comics since there have been superheroes. Does it annoy you that Disney uses Mickey Mouse in a Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation or that more than half of their animated feature output has been based on already established and classic stories?

This is what Disney has always done. To the delight of children (and those of us who don't always want to be serious grown ups) and to the grumbling of haters. "They ruined Tarzan" is never really ever balanced with Burroughs' published works saw a spike. I have been a life long devourer of anything written by Lewis Carroll or related to Wonderland (except for that god awful Grimms Fairy Tale crap) since I saw the Disney Movie as a kid. That is the ultimate power of Disney, getting kids to read or to learn the classic stories (through whatever filter)... I think many kids would be less inclined to get past Spongebob without the Disney films. Heck, in a film thread here recently, there were pages and pages devoted to which villain was the best.

The books have been noticed not because of Superhero stories, but for telling the same quality stories (because for the most part it is the same material) in a cheaper format than what was being done by Gemstone. More over, they have been noticed because Boom! has done such a great job with both the Pixar and Muppets properties.

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:13 am

Punchy wrote:But didn't the Disney books used to have their own styles and types of stories? Now they are just other genres (Fantasy, superhero) with Mickey and Donald shoved in there.

I really wish Fourthy picked Uncle Scrooge which came out this week as well. That's really a better representative of the Disney brand. But Disney has always done stories of their characters in different genres. It's just a way of changing things up a bit. Every story can't always take place in Duckburg and have the Beagle Boys trying to get into Scrooge's money pit.

Archie comics does this too.

[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:15 am

Jubilee wrote:I couldn't finish this comic. There was nothing there for me, and there was nothign there to make me turn the page. I was already flipping dialogue but it just wasn't for me. I don't want to give a score as I literally can't finish it.
I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously ever again. Or find you credible when it comes to comics. This just reeks of closed-mindlessness to me, and I don't think you even bought the comic or even try looking for it.
[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 am

Jess Nukem wrote:I really wish Fourthy picked Uncle Scrooge which came out this week as well. That's really a better representative of the Disney brand. But Disney has always done stories of their characters in different genres. It's just a way of changing things up a bit. Every story can't always take place in Duckburg and have the Beagle Boys trying to get into Scrooge's money pit.

Archie comics does this too.

I picked this one, because I thought it would be a better bridge for pigeonholed capes and tights readers, learned my lesson, next time I will pick completely from the heart.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:19 am

Jess Nukem wrote:I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously ever again. Or find you credible when it comes to comics. This just reeks of closed-mindlessness to me, and I don't think you even bought the comic or even try looking for it.

I downloaded it. It wasn't at my LCS.

It's not closed mindedness. It's just a boring story which I don't want to read.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand