Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 am

Jess Nukem wrote:I really wish Fourthy picked Uncle Scrooge which came out this week as well. That's really a better representative of the Disney brand. But Disney has always done stories of their characters in different genres. It's just a way of changing things up a bit. Every story can't always take place in Duckburg and have the Beagle Boys trying to get into Scrooge's money pit.

Archie comics does this too.

Duckburg and Beagle Boys is what I expect from Disney.

I think the thing is, I'm reading 20 or so superhero books from Marvel/DC already, I look to other publishers for a bit of variety, and want something different from superheroes, like that Archie book, I couldn't give a damn about Archie superheroes, if I wanted to read Archie, I'd want the lame jokes and Betty and Veronica and Jughead eating burgers.

Advertisement

Jess Nukem
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jess Nukem » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 am

thefourthman wrote:I picked this one, because I thought it would be a better bridge for pigeonholed capes and tights readers, learned my lesson, next time I will pick completely from the heart.
I figured that was the case. The only time I really enjoy these kinds of genre stories is the western ones. But don't sell yourself short, the comic wasn't horrible and I was really surprised by the artwork. The coloring is the best I've ever seen in a Disney comic, usually it's very flat.

And there was a lot of story in this comic, it took me more than five minutes to read, actually, it took about twenty (More than last week's X-Men Corrections--suck it, Jude). That's perfect for a kid. DC and Marvel really should be taking notes because this is how it should be done.
[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

Jess Nukem
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jess Nukem » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:25 am

Punchy wrote:Duckburg and Beagle Boys is what I expect from Disney.

I think the thing is, I'm reading 20 or so superhero books from Marvel/DC already, I look to other publishers for a bit of variety, and want something different from superheroes, like that Archie book, I couldn't give a damn about Archie superheroes, if I wanted to read Archie, I'd want the lame jokes and Betty and Veronica and Jughead eating burgers.

:roll: How can you blast Chappy for being stuck in the past for wanting comics to be stuck in the '70s and '80s when you don't even afford Archie and Scrooge the same benefit of doing something difference once in a while?
Last edited by Jess Nukem on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:26 am

For a kids story yes, this might have been great. And the colouring was great.

But I just sat there reading the recap for the "ultrapods" and it used the words ultra about 10 times and it become a chore to read.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:26 am

Jubilee wrote:I downloaded it. It wasn't at my LCS.

It's not closed mindedness. It's just a boring story which I don't want to read.

Honestly I think it is, I don't see a significant difference in the kind of story being told here and the majority of the superhero books on the market. The only real difference is the character set being used and the voicing. If you finished reading the book and then gave a thoughtful critique of why you didn't like the voicing or refrained from making Punchy like comments of "it's a shame the only way the Disney books get noticed is by making them superheroes".... then it would be a lot easier to take the whole I'm not being closeminded thing, but you have bitched about this pick from the second it was made, even when I have read funking stupid shitty books like Image United and Teen Titans 75, I have never a. not read the book or b. bitched about the picked book so vehemently before reading it. I have numerous times said I would have picked a different book and said why, but I have never gone into a book with the mindset of this will suck, except for maybe Buffy and I was confused as hell by that shit because it was impenetrable and I had already seen this, now that I have watched some of the show, I think it would be easier for me to look at that book, but I made my complaints about that book then and I stand by them.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:27 am

I don't think I even said anything about this book in teh old thread. I'm not exactly bitching like fuck over it, I just knew I wouldn't like it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:30 am

Jubilee wrote:I don't think I even said anything about this book in teh old thread. I'm not exactly bitching like fuck over it, I just knew I wouldn't like it.

Punchy sure as hell did and you might as well get over the fact that you two are the same person to most people. Hell if Amlah wasn't so fucking OCD, everyone would still confuse him and me.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:30 am

and you pretty much said you hated the book before you attempted to read it in this thread. :P

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:31 am

Jess Nukem wrote::roll: How can you blast Chappy for being stuck in the past for wanting comics to be stuck in the '70s and '80s when you don't even afford Archie and Scrooge the same benefit of doing something difference once in a while?

I'm not stuck in the past really, I never read Archie or Disney comics as a kid, it's not nostalgia, it's just that there's so many superhero books already, why do Disney and Archie have to do the same? It's not doing something different, it's doing the same thing as everyone else.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:34 am

Punchy wrote:I'm not stuck in the past really, I never read Archie or Disney comics as a kid, it's not nostalgia, it's just that there's so many superhero books already, why do Disney and Archie have to do the same? It's not doing something different, it's doing the same thing as everyone else.

THEY ALWAYS HAVE, this is nothing new and as usual shows your ignorance outside of your somewhat limited experience. Historically Disney and Archie have told different kinds of stories, just like Marvel does Marvel Noir and Marvel Fairy Tales, and Strange Tales MK, etc with their character set.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:35 am

The big difference being that Archie and Disney do it in their books, Marvel & DC feel the need to create mini-series for the genre bending stories.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:38 am

I guarantee you Archie could have sold a hell of a lot more Archie Marries Veronica/Betty books if they had done them as mini series, they could sold a lot more Freshman Year if they did it as a mini series, but it would have been to the harm of the regular titles. Just like doing an Ultraheroes book would be harmful to WDC&S, just like doing Spider-Man 1602 Cloone Wars Mr. Negative fights Antivenom Secret Wars Spectacular is harmful to Amazing. But Archie has no clue what they are doing, they only have the highest circulated American Comic. :roll:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:39 am

thefourthman wrote:THEY ALWAYS HAVE, this is nothing new and as usual shows your ignorance outside of your somewhat limited experience. Historically Disney and Archie have told different kinds of stories, just like Marvel does Marvel Noir and Marvel Fairy Tales, and Strange Tales MK, etc with their character set.

I don't approve of them doing it in the past then either!

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 am

thefourthman wrote:and you pretty much said you hated the book before you attempted to read it in this thread. :P

I can tell that this is not a comic for me before I read it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 am

Punchy wrote:I don't approve of them doing it in the past then either!

But it is okay for Marvel to do it? And to the harm of their long term business?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand