Advertisement

Review Group Week 200 - INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #21

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:43 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Solid issue.

Insightful review.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 510 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:30 am

Old Man wrote:Insightful review.
Agreed.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:06 am

john lewis hawk wrote:Solid issue.

really? Cause mine was a little malleable, kind like it was made out of paper. :P
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

stingerman
Birdman

Liked in: 0 post

Postby stingerman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:54 pm

I thought this was a good issue.

I started picking this back up again with the Tony Stark Disassembled arc going on.

*SPOILERS*

As far as being a new reader its pretty easy to follow if you got the last couple issues. Obviously, Norman has been after Stark since the end of Secret Invasion. Tony has the info to the Superhuman Reg Act and Replusor Tech - in his head. Norman wants it but Tony won't let him.

Well, finally Norman gets a hold of Tony, but he is crazy as heck! Also, its being televised for the world to see - and Norman didn't know it! Well as he is kicking the crud out of Tony - and Tony is losing his mind literally so Norman doesn't get the info - Norman is informed that he is on camera and refrains from killing him. However, Tony's last request (if I remember correctly) was to have his own Doctor - Donald Blake aka THOR!

Tony needs to get his mind back together - and needs Pepper Iron Woman's armor to do it. He left a recording for Cap, IM, Pepper etc. I liked how Tony took responsibility for his actions but wasn't remorseful one bit. Ha! Tony Stark!

Meanwhile, Tony seems to be stuck in some kind of limbo which repeats over and over. Just as he begins to find the armor some kind of Iron Man sentinels reach him first and then it repeats. However, each time he/they get a bit closer, things change.

Back in the real world, Tony has Pepper's armor hooked into him but he needs a reboot - via Thor. They need a good conductor - Cap's shield!

I don't have the issues in front of me but I think this is pretty accurate what happened in the last couple issues. I thought Faction did a heck of a job here. Obviously, we know from solicits that the band is getting back together. Having Tony not be a sorrowful schmuck was a good choice! Cocky even in death, lol!

Regarding the Cap Reborn thing, I'm not reading it so this and the DA Annual really didn't bother me. Heck, its called 'Reborn' lol - but kinda sh!tty for Marvel to do. Obviously, they can't hold back a bunch of titles for one.

I'm glad I jumped back on board with the last couple issues of Invincible Iron Man as its a great read. I recommend it. Shoot to thrill, indeed!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 510 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:17 pm

thefourthman wrote:really? Cause mine was a little malleable, kind like it was made out of paper. :P
I couldn't smoke it or shove it up my ass and call it an enema so obviously it can't liquid, plasma, or gas. It must be a solid.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:37 pm

The Invincible Iron Man #21

While I'm not a huge IM fan, the buzz on this run and the nature of the redemptive storyline, where a man recognizes his own hubris as he is stripped of everything, caught my attention and I've Byrned or bought a few issues here or there. My thoughts upon reading them have been, "hunh, could've just read the spoilers" or "dang, no Iron Man" mostly. Ok but not great. I keep trying Fraction books and thinking ok but not great.

Issue 21 is no exception. While I understand this may be the payoff to a long storyline regular followers of the book have been looking forward to, for me reading as Tony's blue glowing head walks everyone through their parts is about as exciting as reading the instruction manual for installing a new dvd player--or at least as exciting as I imagine it would be if I had ever read one.

Obviously, the important thing is to have Tony's oldest friends who he mistreated--and yes, I view DNA theft and cloning of Thor to commit murder mistreatment--by his side for his rebirth. But the in-story mechanism for involving them is an egregious bit of comic bookery. If Cap's shield conducted energy of that nature it would be a pretty crappy shield indeed. But whatever. All I can say is, if you've ever criticized comics from the '80s or earlier for being juvenile and having dumb plot points but thought that was clever? You need to get your own brain jump-started is all I can tell you.

The art was ok, the pink Pepper pages were ugly as hell. The Ghost pages were nice. Cap and Bucky should not wear nearly identical costumes and finish each other's sentences like that, or I will begin to think of them as the Unambiguously Gay Duo.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:09 am

john lewis hawk wrote:I couldn't smoke it or shove it up my ass and call it an enema so obviously it can't liquid, plasma, or gas. It must be a solid.

you can so smoke it, just twirl it up and light the end, dumb ass.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand