Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:27 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Crazy-ass people.... that i hope to rip off and screw over with overpriced comics.


Are you ironing your NM #98 while you post?

Just look, this comic is going for roughly the same price:

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-d ... e_id=24798

But they are not equal in quality by any measure.

Advertisement

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:33 pm

guitarsmashley wrote: I mean anyone who didn't get the, "Are you planning on luring a child into your car with this?" look as you were buying it...


If that's the kind of look your LCS staff gives you, then you are in the wrong comics shop.

My LCS regularly sells more copies of Tiny Titans than many other titles, including Savage Dragon, several DC and Marvel titles, and almost anything from Image except Buffy. It is purchased by married people, single people, parents, non-parents, men, and women.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 pm

Jubilee wrote:I still think the "This isn't aimed at me, but if it was I'd give it..." is bullshit.

No-ones done that for any book in this group, for example no-one said "No I don't like Image Reborn, but it's not aimed at me, it's aimed at people who like Liefelds work"


Okay, Johnny One-Note, we get it. You didn;t like this comic, and you don;t like the fact that others might. We get it, all ready.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Old Man wrote:If that's the kind of look your LCS staff gives you, then you are in the wrong comics shop.

My LCS regularly sells more copies of Tiny Titans than many other titles, including Savage Dragon, several DC and Marvel titles, and almost anything from Image except Buffy. It is purchased by married people, single people, parents, non-parents, men, and women.


My LCS only had one extra WDC #701, the comic shop guy thought it was cool it was being reviewed by a group of some kind.

Although Uncle Scrooge looked better.

Chimichanga #1 was the best book last week, you should check it out.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Old Man wrote:Okay, Johnny One-Note, we get it. You didn;t like this comic, and you don;t like the fact that others might. We get it, all ready.


Comics have moved on from this, you know. Welcome to the Bendicene Era. :roll:

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:40 pm

House of J wrote:Are you ironing your NM #98 while you post?

Just look, this comic is going for roughly the same price:

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-d ... e_id=24798

But they are not equal in quality by any measure.


9.6 sure isn't what it used to be. Upper left corner has slight rounding, and the pages are not even on the upper right side, possibly suggesting former spine roll.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Postby Starlord » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Jubilee wrote:I still think the "This isn't aimed at me, but if it was I'd give it..." is bullshit.

No-ones done that for any book in this group, for example no-one said "No I don't like Image Reborn, but it's not aimed at me, it's aimed at people who like Liefelds work"


:deadhorse
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:42 pm

House of J wrote:My LCS only had one extra WDC #701, the comic shop guy thought it was cool it was being reviewed by a group of some kind.

Although Uncle Scrooge looked better.

Chimichanga #1 was the best book last week, you should check it out.


I did. It stank. That's not a comment on the quality of the book, but its odor. It was not pleasant, and I had to put it down and go wash my hands.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:44 pm

Old Man wrote:I did. It stank. That's not a comment on the quality of the book, but its odor. It was not pleasant, and I had to put it down and go wash my hands.


I don't...huh??

I am smelling mine right now, I think it smells like a sexy lady.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:29 pm

House of J wrote:I don't...huh??

I am smelling mine right now, I think it smells like a sexy lady.


The cover isn't bad, but the interior pages reeked. And the guy that was buying it when I asked to look at it thought it was smelly, too.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:33 pm

Old Man wrote:9.6 sure isn't what it used to be. Upper left corner has slight rounding, and the pages are not even on the upper right side, possibly suggesting former spine roll.


This.

That scan is a perfect example why slabbing/grading is nothing but a total scam.

I wish it had been my idea. :evil:

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:35 pm

Old Man wrote:The cover isn't bad, but the interior pages reeked. And the guy that was buying it when I asked to look at it thought it was smelly, too.


It was probably you. Like Dagmar the Witch.

doombug
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13026
Likes: 174 posts
Liked in: 57 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Holden, Ma


Online


Postby doombug » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:57 am

House of J wrote:That would be awesome! We know Doombug's copy won't make the grade with the pages all sticky like that and stuff..

Whoever the winning bidder was, he clearly has no wife.


Why am I dragged into this you motherfucker? :lol:

Edit: oh it's fucking Deadpools first appearanced which just by that alone it's shocking he's still around today. New Mutants #98 is that fucking terrible. :lol:

3MJ
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby 3MJ » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:34 am

Old Man wrote:Okay, Johnny One-Note, we get it. You didn;t like this comic, and you don;t like the fact that others might. We get it, all ready.


I don't like the fact so many people are all like "Ok I don't really like this comic... but if I was 6 I'd give this a....."

When no other comic gets that kind of bullshit allowed as the score.

When you read Image United who said "Ok I don't really like this comic, but if I was a Liefield fan"

Or

"I don't really like New Avengers, but if this was my first run on the Avengers I've read"

It's stupid that people are changing thier score based on if others would like it.

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Postby Starlord » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:55 am

Jubilee wrote:I don't like the fact so many people are all like "Ok I don't really like this comic... but if I was 6 I'd give this a....."

When no other comic gets that kind of bullshit allowed as the score.

When you read Image United who said "Ok I don't really like this comic, but if I was a Liefield fan"

Or

"I don't really like New Avengers, but if this was my first run on the Avengers I've read"

It's stupid that people are changing thier score based on if others would like it.


I guess maybe because we are able to shift out minds to the fact that this is directed towards a different audience.

By your thought process, everytime I leave a kids movie with my children I should be pounding in their head how horrible the movie was for me since I am way to grown up for the silliness that I just saw. I choose to look at it through my children's eyes and ears, instead.

If there really is a case of comparing apples and oranges, this is it. Mickey Mouse and gang are nothing like Avengers, X-Men or Justice Society. Nor is it comparable to Scalped, Fables, or Preacher.
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: doombug, FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 83 guests

Advertisement