Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:43 am

starlord wrote:I guess maybe because we are able to shift out minds to the fact that this is directed towards a different audience.

By your thought process, everytime I leave a kids movie with my children I should be pounding in their head how horrible the movie was for me since I am way to grown up for the silliness that I just saw. I choose to look at it through my children's eyes and ears, instead.

If there really is a case of comparing apples and oranges, this is it. Mickey Mouse and gang are nothing like Avengers, X-Men or Justice Society. Nor is it comparable to Scalped, Fables, or Preacher.

But Image United is aimed at just as much a specific audience as Disney comics.

I think the problem is that the audience for mainstream Marvel and DC books isn't very well-defined, some are aimed at older fans with a passion for continuity, and some are aimed at younger fans who like widescreen decompression and all that jazz. The problem is that both sets of fans read titles called 'Avengers'.

Should I put myself in the head of Cat-Scratch whenever I read Mighty Avengers and see it from the perspective of a 30-year Avengers fan? Should you put yourself in Twigglet's head when reading a Bendis book?

All we should do is review from our own heads.

And yes, I realise your response will now just involve 'head'.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:56 am

Jubilee wrote:I don't like the fact so many people are all like "Ok I don't really like this comic... but if I was 6 I'd give this a....."

When no other comic gets that kind of bullshit allowed as the score.

When you read Image United who said "Ok I don't really like this comic, but if I was a Liefield fan"

Or

"I don't really like New Avengers, but if this was my first run on the Avengers I've read"

It's stupid that people are changing thier score based on if others would like it.

the difference is that the majority of the members of the group are the active target demographic of New Avengers and Image United. Walt Disney Comics and Stories is a KIDS BOOK. It is not targeted at us. Period. End of discussion.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 am

Punchy wrote:But Image United is aimed at just as much a specific audience as Disney comics.

I think the problem is that the audience for mainstream Marvel and DC books isn't very well-defined, some are aimed at older fans with a passion for continuity, and some are aimed at younger fans who like widescreen decompression and all that jazz. The problem is that both sets of fans read titles called 'Avengers'.

Should I put myself in the head of Cat-Scratch whenever I read Mighty Avengers and see it from the perspective of a 30-year Avengers fan? Should you put yourself in Twigglet's head when reading a Bendis book?

All we should do is review from our own heads.

And yes, I realise your response will now just involve 'head'.

BUt in the end Marvel and DC would like it very much if you read all the DCU or 616 books. Marvel is NOT targeting Marvel Adventures books at you. DC is NOT targeting Johnny DC books at you. It may seem like it cause they use Avengers and Titans, but they really aren't.

The MA books are kept alive by subscriptions which are for the most part kids getting comics so that parents don't have to take them to seedy comic shops or even worse there is no comic shop in timbutfucktoosmallasstown, Nevada.

They are marketed different, they have whole different sections on the publishers websites and are very rarely featured in advertising. They are a different kind of book, meant for a different audience.

Image United was aimed at fans of X-Force, Deadpool, Spawn, Savage Dragon, The artists involved, Image in general, and Mr. Kirkman. MOST of those fans disliked it, it failed to do its job. It is not a matter of only Liefeld fans would like it, it fucking sucked, period. It was devoid of story and the art was all over the place. This comic is miles better from the get go by not having those particular issues at ALL.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Jubilee wrote:I don't like the fact so many people are all like "Ok I don't really like this comic... but if I was 6 I'd give this a....."

When no other comic gets that kind of bullshit allowed as the score.

When you read Image United who said "Ok I don't really like this comic, but if I was a Liefield fan"

Or

"I don't really like New Avengers, but if this was my first run on the Avengers I've read"

It's stupid that people are changing thier score based on if others would like it.

But I did like the comic. I just recognized it wasn't for me.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Jubilee
Review Grouper

Formerly: Twigglet

Postby Jubilee » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:05 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:But I did like the comic. I just recognized it wasn't for me.

Fair enough

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:07 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:But I did like the comic. I just recognized it wasn't for me.

I did too, I think most of the people who scored it high did. Twigg and Punchy are just butt hurt that this is gonna get a higher score than Image United.

Jubilee
Review Grouper

Postby Jubilee » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:07 pm

thefourthman wrote:I did too, I think most of the people who scored it high did. Twigg and Punchy are just butt hurt that this is gonna get a higher score than Image United.

Image United sucked.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Jubilee wrote:Image United sucked.

See. Even you know it sucked. Go fix Punchy.

Jubilee
Review Grouper

Postby Jubilee » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:See. Even you know it sucked. Go fix Punchy.

You're the one who needs fixing. Punchy is a legend.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:11 pm

Jubilee wrote:You're the one who needs fixing. Punchy is a legend.

:| , sure. I believe that.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Jubilee wrote:You're the one who needs fixing. Punchy is a legend.

Is that what you call him during sex?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:24 pm

. :smt095 :smt063

Postby ****** » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Image United was awesome. Y'all need to stop with the hatin'.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:32 pm

amlah6 wrote:Image United was awesome. Y'all need to stop with the hatin'.

Really, you want to side with Punchy and Jude on this?

Postby ****** » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:35 pm

thefourthman wrote:Really, you want to side with Punchy and Jude on this?

I did in my review, it's not my fault everyone else was too busy tripping over each other in your race to prove how e-cool you all are with your Liefeld hate to notice.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand