Advertisement

Review Group Week 202 - HELLBOY: THE BRIDE OF HELL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:29 pm

House of J wrote:Has everyone had the pleasure of seeing The Amazing Screw-on Head?

[spoiler][youtube=425,344,_64GdGhuOkU][/youtube][/spoiler]
Yeah, that was great stuff.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Yeah, that was great stuff.

I was pretty sorry that wasn't picked up. I think someone said it was a one-shot only, but I found the site where they solicited opinions of it as a pilot for a series. That would've been excellent.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:39 pm

House of J wrote:I was pretty sorry that wasn't picked up. I think someone said it was a one-shot only, but I found the site where they solicited opinions of it as a pilot for a series. That would've been excellent.
I don't if Giamatti would've stayed on though if it became a series.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 640 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:41 pm

I'll be making my monthly trip to the comic shop on Saturday, so I'll pick up this and the Walt Disney Comic I missed as well, and review both then.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:50 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:I don't if Giamatti would've stayed on though if it became a series.

It's hard to say--it would be pretty easy work for a (probably) small number of episodes.

He's excellent in that pilot, but could be replaced.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:03 pm

I liked the issue, but I never review after only one read. It's a solid one-shot, though, trade-waiters needn't worry. The back cover advertises it and 8 other one shots as a cure for crossover fatigue. Smart. Know that I know that Goon issue is a oner too, I'll probably pick that up.

Poop potato!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:30 pm

thefourthman wrote:Blackest Night #6 comes out next week and some freebie shit from Marvel.

Diamond decided not to ship books next week. I know that they are having problems and all but this seems like a massively stupid decision on their part. In a business where the majority of their clients are cash flow businesses, a week off will be detrimental. I wonder how many shops will close next week for the holidays and never reopen. It should be an interesting week to read RObot 6 and Journalista.

I understand what you are saying, but really, if a business is barely surviving from week to week, it is inevitable that they will crash and burn anyway. My LCS is the biggest in Toledo, Ohio, and it wouldn't surprise me if it closed. And I think it is the biggest because it is also a gaming shop. Lot of Warhammer guys.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:33 pm

House of J wrote:I liked the issue, but I never review after only one read. It's a solid one-shot, though, trade-waiters needn't worry. The back cover advertises it and 8 other one shots as a cure for crossover fatigue. Smart. Know that I know that Goon issue is a oner too, I'll probably pick that up.

Poop potato!

Isn't Goon essentially a semi-annual book now? The issue in November was the first in about 6 months.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:56 pm

House of J wrote:I liked the issue, but I never review after only one read. It's a solid one-shot, though, trade-waiters needn't worry. The back cover advertises it and 8 other one shots as a cure for crossover fatigue. Smart. Know that I know that Goon issue is a oner too, I'll probably pick that up.

Poop potato!

The Goon issue was great, well worth the effort to track it down.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:10 am

amlah6 wrote:The Goon issue was great, well worth the effort to track it down.

I'd've bought it if I'd known it was totally stand-alone.

Dark Horse and other companies should promote more of their established series to new readers by reprinting an issue or one-shot at a lower than normal cover price (dare I say $1?). I've tried random issues of stuff from my LCS' dollar bin, and often it leads to me buying up the trades if I like the sample. Fear Agent and The End League, for example, are both books I've bought up on the strength of a single issue in the cheapo bin that didn't even make much sense taken out of context but make me want to know more.

This one-shot reminded me of the Hellboy FCBD issue, which is what make me think of that. I think Vertigo's $1 issues really pay off for them.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:32 pm

I haven't had internet access the past couple of weeks, nor have I gone to my LCS. But I'll be going next week for BN 6, so I'll get stuff

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:49 pm

I've already read the comic but didn't buy it since Hellboy's not my cup of tea. But Richie Corben totally drew the heck out of that thing. I would freakin' love a Hulk vs Thing fight sequence drawn by him someday. He is seriously the MAN. :-D
[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:37 pm

Hey Amlah, are you gonna start a new thread for webcomics recommendations? Are you gonna do that soon? It would be helpful like before the thread goes up. Especially since I might be able to make one or two happen for right away. Also, would this not be a good kind of thing to do a drive with in the Asylum?

Also, the rest of you suck. Where are the reviews?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 301 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey Amlah, are you gonna start a new thread for webcomics recommendations? Are you gonna do that soon? It would be helpful like before the thread goes up. Especially since I might be able to make one or two happen for right away. Also, would this not be a good kind of thing to do a drive with in the Asylum?

Also, the rest of you suck. Where are the reviews?

I've had no time to myself.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 301 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:42 pm

That was disappointing. That's all I can say right now. It was maybe the weakest Hellboy story I've read in a long time or just maybe the weakest Helboy story period. I need some time and maybe a re-read.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand