Advertisement

Review Group Week 202 - HELLBOY: THE BRIDE OF HELL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:47 pm

thefourthman wrote:Also, the rest of you suck. Where are the reviews?


Post a review before you say that, suck-ass!

Advertisement

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27188
Likes: 343 posts
Liked in: 184 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:49 pm

House of J wrote:Post a review before you say that, suck-ass!

I already said I was abstaining and gave my reasoning. Everyone else is just being a slack ass.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:50 pm

thefourthman wrote:I already said I was abstaining and gave my reasoning. Everyone else is just being a slack ass.


Your reason is stupid though, this book relates to nothing. :roll:

Kerny
User avatar
Review Grouper
 
Posts: 5253
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:24 pm
Title: All-American American


Postby Kerny » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:51 pm

My shop was sold-out of this. They've ordered a new one for me.

OTOH, I liked part 2 of Frankencastle and the final issue of Dark Avengers:Ares, two recent RG book picks :P

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:53 pm

I need to read it again, but my box of comics came on Thursday and there was some stuff in there I couldn't wait to read. I need to finish Last Days of American Crime first.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:00 pm

thefourthman wrote:Also, the rest of you suck. Where are the reviews?


Hey, give some of these guys a break...it's Christmas weekend, and I'm sure a couple of them were traumatized by having to come out of their Mom's basement for three hours yesterday.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:05 pm

BTW...for more snowmen as pictured in the signature above, here is the link to where I was linked to it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/2 ... &slideshow

I liked Hit By Car best, then Suicidal Snowman.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27188
Likes: 343 posts
Liked in: 184 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:06 pm

House of J wrote:Your reason is stupid though, this book relates to nothing. :roll:

My reason is not stupid.

Do you read Hellboy?

Everything matters. Mignola is writing a vastly detailed and rich epic, every piece relates to every other piece.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27188
Likes: 343 posts
Liked in: 184 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:07 pm

Old Man wrote:BTW...for more snowmen as pictured in the signature above, here is the link to where I was linked to it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/2 ... &slideshow

I liked Hit By Car best, then Suicidal Snowman.

huh?

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:My reason is not stupid.

Do you read Hellboy?

Everything matters. Mignola is writing a vastly detailed and rich epic, every piece relates to every other piece.


Ordinarily, yes, but Dark Horse specifically designed this as part of their "One Shot Wonders" promotion and so it doesn't.

Your reason is the same reason I didn't buy The Goon one-shot, which was a mistake in hindsight.

Unlike most issues of Hellboy, you could have swapped his character out for 1000 others in this one shot.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27188
Likes: 343 posts
Liked in: 184 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:20 pm

House of J wrote:Ordinarily, yes, but Dark Horse specifically designed this as part of their "One Shot Wonders" promotion and so it doesn't.

Your reason is the same reason I didn't buy The Goon one-shot, which was a mistake in hindsight.

No, it is designed to stand alone. That does not mean it serves no purpose or is not important to the larger story...

The Goon is a good example of how One Shots can fail. It tells a great stand alone story, but will be incomprehensible to folks that have never read the Goon before because they won't know who or what anyone is and what they are doing. It think it was a brilliant comic and some of the best Pantomime work I have seen outside of the introduction to The Hunter by Cooke, but it relies heavily on the reader being familiar with the work at large.

The program is not designed to give people books that are separate from the larger book but to show new readers that these books are approachable, to give them the feeling that they can jump in. Many of them are merely introductions or origins. some of them are reprints of previously available material, some of them rely on the creator and the properties to speak for themselves. They are not big crossover events. I think DH did a tremendous job with the initiative, but I never got the impression that they were side stories that didn't matter.

It was sort of an anti crossover thing for being a way to get readers excited in their books.

If this book were Hellboy Bride of Hell part 1 of 5, I don't think anyone would say word one about me not reviewing it. It is no different than us doing a separate thread or whatever we did for the last issue of Y to respect the way that the trade readers read the story. Knowing what Mignola has done with Hellboy and why I chose not to just read the tpbs and catch up, I don't want to find out things that aren't necessary for me to read yet. I didn't take this stand with the Witchfinder book, but I am gonna do it now. My reason is not dumb, you may not like it, but it is a valid reason and my reason for not reviewing the book.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Unlike most issues of Hellboy, you could have swapped his character out for 1000 others in this one shot.

Any other issue than this, you'd be right--it's ironic that you choose to draw the line at this issue, which when you finally read it (if it's even collected with the others) you will understand why. Hellboy is nearly inconsequential in it.

I guessing that's one reason why guitarsmashley didn't like it--it goes so far to free itself from the Hellboy mythos that he barely mattered. There's nothing to accidentally find out.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27188
Likes: 343 posts
Liked in: 184 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:31 pm

House of J wrote:Unlike most issues of Hellboy, you could have swapped his character out for 1000 others in this one shot.

Any other issue than this, you'd be right--it's ironic that you choose to draw the line at this issue, which when you finally read it (if it's even collected with the others) you will understand why. Hellboy is nearly inconsequential in it.

I guessing that's one reason why guitarsmashley didn't like it--it goes so far to free itself from the Hellboy mythos that he barely mattered. There's nothing to accidentally find out.

I didn't want to read Witchfinder, and after I read the second issue, I wish I had kept to that. Just because Hellboy is inconsequential in the story, does not mean it is inconsequential to the mythos or the story that Mignola is telling...

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41376
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 49 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Postby Chris » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:37 pm

:lol: :lol:
Image

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:37 pm

thefourthman wrote:I didn't want to read Witchfinder, and after I read the second issue, I wish I had kept to that. Just because Hellboy is inconsequential in the story, does not mean it is inconsequential to the mythos or the story that Mignola is telling...


Like I say, I believe when you read it you'll see that it is. It's a sort of generic EC-style horror tale--I have been wracking my brains trying to figure out where I've read a similar story long ago--with the same sort of twist at the end you learn to see coming a mile away. (Of course, Richard Corben himself adds to that impression.)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 53 guests

Advertisement
cron