Advertisement

Review Group Week 202 - HELLBOY: THE BRIDE OF HELL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ****** » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:No, it is designed to stand alone. That does not mean it serves no purpose or is not important to the larger story...

The Goon is a good example of how One Shots can fail. It tells a great stand alone story, but will be incomprehensible to folks that have never read the Goon before because they won't know who or what anyone is and what they are doing. It think it was a brilliant comic and some of the best Pantomime work I have seen outside of the introduction to The Hunter by Cooke, but it relies heavily on the reader being familiar with the work at large.

It was my first issue of The Goon and I had no trouble whatsoever following it. Unclench you snobby fuck.

Advertisement

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:31 pm

this was pretty good. also my first hellboy book although he didn't matter. it did give me a glimpse into mignolas style and i liked it. i'll probably get the trades or those big library editions at some point down the line.

story 8
art 8
overall 8

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:45 pm

[quote="House of J"][/quote]Penguins cannot be gay but those emus... they're definitely mostly gay.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:52 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Penguins cannot be gay but those emus... they're definitely mostly gay.

Hey! Scientists have yet to rule out the avian equivalent of My Two Dads!

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:18 am

thefourthman wrote:make fun of me all you want. I am secure enough to say that I enjoy romantic comedies...

I also like Depeche Mode and The Pet Shop Boys.

I won't be seeing It's Complicated in a theater, but I did see Mamma Mia in the theater. By myself. Well, I went alone, but the theater was nearly full of couples and large groups of women. Mostly people who got the senior discount. The reactions by the audience were almost as fun as the movie.

And I couldn't name a song by either Depeche Mode or The Pet Shop Boys if I had to save my life. Ask me any Carpenters song, though.

Maybe I'm the aberration.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:44 am

Old Man wrote:And I couldn't name a song by either Depeche Mode or The Pet Shop Boys if I had to save my life. Ask me any Carpenters song, though.

Maybe I'm the aberration.

Nah, Carptenters are cool. When I hear them on the radio it's like it's yesterday once more and suddenly I'm on top of the world, looking down on creation. Especially if I hear them on a rainy Monday, cause... well... you know...

We need more reviews around here, people! Come on! We've only just begun!

:D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:02 am

[youtube=425,344,XrAA6VMIPb0][/youtube]

You internet babies are lucky, you have no idea hard this early Todd Haynes flick was to find before.

Postby ****** » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:27 pm

[center]Image[/center]Diamond might be taking next week off, but the Review Group doesn't stop for anyone. Next week is Webcomics Week! Everyone gets to pick what they want to review. Either pick your favorite or try something new or both! It's up to you what you will be reviewing, you can pick a comic from the following list or you can venture out to the wilds of the internets and find something cool on your own.

Not sure where to start? Here are some ideas:

Webcomics by current or former Review Group Members

New Comic Day (doombug)
Mice Templar: Games (Ryan the Iowan)

2009 Eisner Nominees for Best Digital Comic

Bodyworld
Finder
The Lady's Murder
Speak No Evil
Vs.

2009 Harvey Nominees for Best Online Comics Work

Black Cherry Bombshells
High Moon
Least I Could Do
The Night Owls
PVP

Other Webcomics

Angry Little Robot (Jamie Smart)
Bayou
Billy the Dunce
Dr. McNinja
FreakAngels (Warren Ellis)
Garfield Minus Garfield
Indestructible Universe
Let's Be Friends Again
Looking For Group
Mermaid Hostel
Penny Arcade
Planet Saturday
Shortpacked
Sin Titulo (Cameron Stewart)
Wondermark
XKCD
Year of the Rat

Wecomic Resources

Next-Door Neighbor
Shadowline (Image)
Zuda Comics (DC)

There are a gazillion others out there, if there's something you want me to add to this list, just post it. :cool:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Do we review only the most recent edition of the comic, or the whole thing?

Postby ****** » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:30 pm

Punchy wrote:Do we review only the most recent edition of the comic, or the whole thing?

Doesn't matter, whatever the reviewer chooses.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 22 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Hellboy - The Bride of Hell
by Mike Mignola and Richard Corben

Story - This was pretty good, if not completely predictable. I'm not sure if I've seen this story play out elsewhere or what, but it felt very familiar. Not the best Hellboy story I've ever read, but certainly not the worst.

8/10

Art - I'm usually not a fan of Richard Corben's art for some reason, but it worked for this story. There's a certain vibe that all Hellboy books need to have, and he delivered on that front.

7/10

Overall: 7.5/10
Last edited by Chris on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 22 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:48 pm

And no, there is literally nothing in this story that could be considered a spoiler of any sort for people who read this in trade or HC.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:04 pm

amlah6 wrote:It was my first issue of The Goon and I had no trouble whatsoever following it. Unclench you snobby fuck.

you would have enjoyed a 1000 times more if you had read the 32 issues from DH, the ones from Avatar and Exploding Albatross as well as the graphic novel that preceded it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:06 pm

starlord wrote:Nah, Carptenters are cool. When I hear them on the radio it's like it's yesterday once more and suddenly I'm on top of the world, looking down on creation. Especially if I hear them on a rainy Monday, cause... well... you know...

We need more reviews around here, people! Come on! We've only just begun!

:D

I wish the gay man would stop helping us sensitive hetero's with our sensitive side.

The Carpenters do indeed rule though.

Have I mentioned that I saw Neil Diamond live once?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:53 pm

thefourthman wrote:you would have enjoyed a 1000 times more if you had read the 32 issues from DH, the ones from Avatar and Exploding Albatross as well as the graphic novel that preceded it.

Doesn't that go for, say Superman too though? Do you tell that to everyone who buys a random comic in the shop, and if so do you spit when you say it?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand