Advertisement

Review Group Week 202 - HELLBOY: THE BRIDE OF HELL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
User avatar
Review Grouper
 
Posts: 3223
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Stumptown
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool


Postby 48THRiLLS » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Hellboy: The Bride of Hell
I have no previous knowledge of Hellboy except the movies which I enjoyed. I haven't read a Hellboy comic for the same reason I have not read Fables or Sandman... which is the fact that there is a whole lot of volumes going on and I just haven't had the cash to dive in. Anyhow, this was not quite a Hellboy comic but more of a comic that had Hellboy in it, so from that standpoint I was a bit disappointed. Aside from that however this was a neat little one shot, I definitely did not see the twist at the end coming at all. This was not a great comic but it was a inoffensive safe fun read it may not have me running to amazon with my credit card to purchase volumes and volumes of Hellboy books but it gave me an idea of what I am missing in this title and maybe I will check out some of the trades sooner than later. The art on this was very stylistic, I didn't quite love it but it didn't make my eyes hurt either.

STORY - 7.5

ART - 6.5

OVERALL - 7

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15332
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:45 am

why isn't my review in there?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Postby ****** » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:59 am

guitarsmashley wrote:why isn't my review in there?


I think the answer to that is pretty obvious.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:08 am

amlah6 wrote:I think the answer to that is pretty obvious.


Image

:?

When I did a google image search for "it's in there prego" I got about 5000 pictures of women taking digital pics of their bellies swollen with child in mirrors.

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15332
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:27 am

amlah6 wrote:I think the answer to that is pretty obvious.


I actually wrote a pretty good one.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

GHERU
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 38354
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 9 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Fucking Akron


Postby GHERU » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Finally was able to read this book

To be honest, I am not the biggest fan of Hellboy comics and I think that it because none of the ones that I have read ever "feel" like the movies. I know that I should be able to separate the movies from the comics, but for some reason in this case I cannot, maybe that's due to the fact that the moves felt so very much like a comic, or whatever.

But, in the case of "Bride of Hell" I think I finally found that Hellboy book that I really enjoyed. This book was touching in a very weird way where I ended up feeling bad for the demon and his bride. Although the book still lacked the humor that I like from the movies, it did provide an empathetic quality that I appreciated.

story 8
art 7
overall 7.5
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Jess Nukem
cheese
 
Posts: 1846
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:29 pm
Location: Lewis


Postby Jess Nukem » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:10 pm

Punchy wrote:I'm also considering Nation X: X-Factor, but if I don't like #200 I won't pick that.

PICK IT. IT WILL HAVE DAZZLER.

:-D
[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Postby ****** » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:18 pm

My copy of this still isn't here. :(

There's a (kinda) new shop pretty close to my office that I'm going to check out next week. Hopefully it doesn't suck and I can start going there on new comic days instead of paying shipping for books that take over a week to travel 3 hours up I-35. :x

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34183
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Online


Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:14 pm

I got a copy of this today and read it on the train, I liked it, it was a bit too expositiony, but the art was great, and the way it played with perceptions of who was good and who was bad was clever.

Review tomorrow if I'm not too hungover.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Punchy wrote:Review tomorrow if I'm not too hungover.


Buy less booze = buy more comics.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34183
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Online


Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:57 pm

Old Man wrote:Buy less booze = buy more comics.


I bought more comics than I should have anyway!

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34183
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Online


Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Hellboy: The Bride Of Hell - 'The Bride Of Hell' - Mignola and Corben

Story - For reasons that are unknown even to myself, I've never read a Hellboy comic before this one here. I don't understand why that is, I like the movies, I like Mignola's art, there is no good reason for me to not have read Hellboy before in my life. But there it is, no Hellboy until now. So what did I think of this one-shot?

It was OK.

Just OK, there were some good ideas present here, and I liked how it played with perceptions of good and evil, but there was too much exposition, and there was nothing here that set the book apart from anything else. I understand this is part of Dark Horse's one-shot initiative to pick up readers who are bored with Crossovers at bigger companies, but I can't help that feel this might have needed more substance to hook these disillusioned superhero fans, this just seemed like a normal superhero story, albeit with a bit more research put into the mystical mumbo-jumbo. From what I've read Mignola is playing with some truly epic mythology in the book's main plots, and that would have been more useful here, rather than a big red dude punching a monster.

Because that's basically what this issue is, an American tourist has gone missing, and Hellboy tries to save her from a big monster. I was kind of disappointed that this was just Hellboy, and that Abe Sapien or that Pyrokinetic character weren't involved, I like Abe Sapien a lot from the movies.

You can't fault Mignola for his love of mythology, it fuels the whole book, but over half of this issue was taken up by exposition about the history of this monster, of warring groups of Knights, of King Solomon, and it was just a bit too much, I'd prefer some more action and characterisation from Hellboy himself (who only has like 10 lines of dialogue) in a one-shot designed to make me go back and make an expensive commitment to an entire library of trades.

That said, the way Mignola switched it around in the end, with the Monster being innocent, and the kindly priest being evil was pretty clever, and played with my idea of which side of good and evil each religion is, in Western society, you tend to automatically assume anything Christian is right and good, but it's not necessarily true, Christians have done some shitty things, such as murdering a Monster's wives!

This was an OK issue, there were some interesting ideas, but Mignola spent too much time teaching us about Mythology, and not enough time actually writing his title character. It may be a brief respite from Dark Reign and Blackest Night fever, but afterwards, I felt like I needed something a bit more substantial (So I read Dark Avengers #12).

Art - Richard Corben is an artistic legend, and rightly so, his blocky style is unique, and perfectly suited for the dark, horror tone of a Hellboy series. One thing I found interesting was that he rendered much of the book in his own style, but Hellboy looked much more Mignola-esque, which is only appropriate. While I'd rather see Mike Mignola write and draw his stories, Corben is a more than adequate substitute.

Best Line - 'This is just the kind of crap gives people nightmares'

6/10

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26391
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:52 pm

is it me or is a large part of Punchy's review contradicting another large part of his review?

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34183
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Online


Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:53 pm

thefourthman wrote:is it me or is a large part of Punchy's review contradicting another large part of his review?


I think it's you.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26391
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Punchy wrote:I think it's you.

I don't know dude, you spend a fair amount in the beginning saying there is nothing there, just a big red guy punching a monster. Then you say that it spends too much time on mythology and you would like more action. Then you say you went to read some Dark Avengers for more "substance" or some such shit. It seems like you go to one extreme to dislike it then say you dislike for the opposite extreme. Actually your review made my head hurt more than Final Crisis.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests

Advertisement