Advertisement

Review Group Week 203 - WEBCOMICS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:09 am

doombug wrote:No one's going to review New Comic day. :cry:

Goddamn, it's only been 24 hours you needy bastard. You don't have to cut yourself quite yet. :P

I'm going to try and review something different each day, I'll definitely read it before the end of the week.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:14 am

amlah6 wrote:Goddamn, it's only been 24 hours you needy bastard. You don't have to cut yourself quite yet. :P

I'm going to try and review something different each day, I'll definitely read it before the end of the week.

I'm guessing more cutting happens after us grumpy asses review it. :P

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:18 pm

amlah6 wrote:Goddamn, it's only been 24 hours you needy bastard. You don't have to cut yourself quite yet. :P

Do I have to put a smiley face everytime im obviously fucking around? because that would drive me nuts.

and yes, the cutting happens all the time.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:18 pm

Well........my LCS ran out of Invincible Iron Man #21, which baffles me, and I forgot Hellboy when I got to the store.

But I did get Hex. So maybe some reviews to come. And some I missed.

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Engineering The Future

Postby spidertour02 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Aw, nuts. I was going to try to convince you guys to review the webcomic I'm working on when it's about a month or two in. :x

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:31 pm

Mice Templar: Games
Written by Ryan Schrodt
Art by Steve Ott

A nice if not particularly needed prologue to the first book. There is nothing here that is not at least implied in the first volume of Glass and Oeming's epic fantasy tale.

We do get a bit of expansion on the youthful exuberance of Keric that seems so brief as the tragedy that befalls his community happens so quickly in the main book.

The rest of the story is merely a moment in time captured. We already know that Keric played templars and most of his peers (and the community at large) scoffed at him. We know that the majority of his knowledge of the ancient order comes from Lieto. The bit with Deishen at the end would be a nice bit of foreshadowing, if you know, it had been written before the revelations of Deishen later in the series.

That being said, the character work is nice. Schrodt captures both the imagination and joy of youth along with the kewl mean side of children as well. Ott does a good job of making the designs that Oeming and Santos have perfected his own, while conveying the emotional content of the script.

On a technical note, the one thing that keeps me from following more webcomics is the interface. The interface here is almost an afterthought. The comic is reproduced at 100% which means lots of scrolling around, making it unpleasant to read. Then there is just a next tab at the top of the page that links you to the next page of the comic. It is shotty and seems like Jude programed it. :p

The front page of the Mice Templar website proclaims that this is "an amazing work of fan fiction." This certainly holds true as Schrodt's writing overcomes its needlessness and Ott does a great job of making Santos and Oeming's designs his own while expertly conveying the emotional content of the script. It is a shame that something like programming could make it a less than pleasant reading experience.

Story-7
Art-8
Interface-2

Overall-6

Postby ****** » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:33 pm

doombug wrote:Do I have to put a smiley face everytime im obviously fucking around? because that would drive me nuts.

and yes, the cutting happens all the time.

We worry about you doombug, this cutting thing isn't a joke.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:36 pm

amlah6 wrote:We worry about you doombug, this cutting thing isn't a joke.

...not even worth mentioning i'm fucking around still is it?

Postby ****** » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:37 pm

doombug wrote:...not even worth mentioning i'm fucking around still is it?

Dude, cutting is not fucking around, it's serious. You need to seek help immediately.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:19 pm

We should have an intervention. First part is no one reads his webcomic. That way he has to have will power not to cut himself and we are preventing more butthurt and more desire to cutt.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

thefourthman wrote:We should have an intervention. First part is no one reads his webcomic. That way he has to have will power not to cut himself and we are preventing more butthurt and more desire to cutt.

i hate you both right now, you have no idea. :lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:26 pm

doombug wrote:i hate you both right now, you have no idea. :lol:

we just want you to get the help you need. We know it is tough, but this is dangerous.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:30 pm

thefourthman wrote:we just want you to get the help you need. We know it is tough, but this is dangerous.

In all seriousness though, can we move on. I've known a few of my friends who were stupid enough to cut and it made lose a lot of respect for them and bad stuff happened to them.

It's a stupid disorder that people should notice the signs for a lot quicker.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:31 pm

doombug wrote:In all seriousness though, can we move on. I've known a few of my friends who were stupid enough to cut and it made lose a lot of respect for them and bad stuff happened to them.

It's a stupid disorder that people should notice the signs for a lot quicker.

there is a very big part of me that wants to say
that's why we are so concerned

but I won't. :p

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:36 pm

thefourthman wrote:but I won't. :p

Why are we friends again? :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand