Advertisement

Review Group Week 203 - WEBCOMICS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:52 pm

I will have to check that out. I love Atomic Robo. I will say that the art doesn't really appeal to me, although a story can overcome the art, if it is good enough.

I am a couple months into Girl Genius right now and I am enjoying it. girlgeniusonline.com. It is still heavy exposition where I am at, but it is lots of fun and the interface while clunky, is simple and really effective.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:55 pm

hey Amlah, hows the SOD gonna work on this?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:hey Amlah, hows the SOD gonna work on this?

It's taking the week off.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:23 am

I want to hop in and write a brief review* Mocktopus Comics by Max Huffman-
Max Huffman is a 15 year old kid in High School that makes roughly two web comics a week. I found out about the site through the Let's Be Friends Again guys (he did a fill in for them this week) and Chris Sims on twitter.

Here's the site: http://www.mocktopus.com/
and a sample:
Image.

I like these comics. I like them a lot. In tone and temperment, they remind me a lot of the comics I read online when I first got the internet (mainly PLIF), largely due to a sense that anything can end up in one of the comics (all of the other web comics I read are pretty well established at this point and I generally know what to expect when I go there). The characters that are recurring are funny enough to keep me interested.
The art isn't amazing to look at, but he tells a (3 panel) story well enough with it.
I'm still amazed he's 15. It's like if Twigglet turned all his adolescent hormones away from loving Bendis and towards making comics...

The site generally updates Tuesdays and Thursdays. Check it out.

8/10

*It's not a real review though. Mostly a plug and a bad joke at Twigglet's expense.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:25 am

Kerny wrote:Dr. McNinja

This comic kicks ass. I believe there's at least one collection out if you didn't want to scroll through archives.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:38 am

guitarsmashley wrote:It's taking the week off.

doubtful.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 am

I guess that Mocktopus comic is good for a fifteen year old, but I don't get it and it seems like it wouldn't be my thing. The art is not bad though, for the kids age... he could easily grow up to be the next Jamie Smart or Jeff Lemire for all we know.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:45 am

thefourthman wrote:I guess that Mocktopus comic is good for a fifteen year old...

Thus good for Twigglet? :P
I was perfectly content before I was born.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:52 am

thefourthman wrote:I guess that Mocktopus comic is good for a fifteen year old, but I don't get it and it seems like it wouldn't be my thing. The art is not bad though, for the kids age... he could easily grow up to be the next Jamie Smart or Jeff Lemire for all we know.

I get that. He makes me laugh. He did the most recent Let's be friends again- which I think is a funny two panel gag.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 am

mrorangesoda wrote:I get that. He makes me laugh. He did the most recent Let's be friends again- which I think is a funny two panel gag.

I don't get that either. I think I am missing context on both.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:00 am

thefourthman wrote:I don't get that either. I think I am missing context on both.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:36 am

Anyhow, I love a challenge and Amlah's idea of doing one a day for the week seems awesome to me. So I posted two old ones while I figured out what to do the rest of the time. I am reading Girl Genius currently cause it won the BF award for best webcomic, but that is a lot of stuff to get through and I will probably not make it by the end of the week. (In other words, expect me to revive this particular thread from time to time.)

While I read that one, I don't want to get all behind in the daily review thing and this next choice will lead directly into the choice after that ... hell before it is all said and done, I might take a look at all the ones in the op.

Anyhow, my next pick will be the current "issue of Dark Horse Presents"... but before I get to that, I figured why not take a look at the 2008 Eisner winner for best Webcomic, a little thing that started in DHP's first issue way back in August of 2007...

Sugar Shock
Written by Joss Whedon
Illustrated by Fabio Moon
http://www.myspace.com/darkhorsepresents

I am hella late to the whole Joss Whedon band wagon. I am an episode or two shy of finishing Buffy Season 2. I have never seen the movie and Firefly has not even had a viewing yet. Astonishing X-Men had an amazing first arc, a not so amazing second arc and then the second half of the Whedon issues fell flat on me, but I hate mutants, so it might just be me. His Runaways was voiced all wrong and plagued by delays that made it all jibberish by the end. It wasn't bad, just wrong.

So now I come to something with no real preconceived notions. Sugar Shock is the story of Dandelion and her band who quite bizzarely get sent to another planet to save the universe, I think?

It is manic fun, chaotic and energetic. It is easy to see why little girls like my daughter, Amlah and McKegan identify with the characters he writes. Dandelion never shuts up and as a result it is not always coherent, but the ideas are big and fun. Imagine if Umbrella Academy formed a band and went on space adventures together. Or maybe if Umbrella Academy and Young Liars fused into one conglomerate of insanity and you might actually be closer. It is an interesting and inventive book if not overly original or even expertly assembled.

I am guessing that charm Dandelion exudes despite her obnoxiousness is part of what draws people to Whedon. Even early on, Buffy and her friends are as obnoxious as the cool kids they want to be different from. That is clearly on display here, while the band can find fault with her, they also love her, despite her flaws. This and a few twists make this a great read, but also make one wonder what is going on with the Eisner voters. Sometimes, I think it is just a recognition thing. laziness ensues. Oh, Whedon wrote this is must be good... cause everyone loves all that other stuff he does.

Moon is amazing. His brother and that whole group are amazing. In fact, it may be the designs and Moon's ability to bring Whedon's insane ramblings together that got this one a Eisner and not some payola apathy machine. His designs are clever, breath taking in their fluidity, and fun. His art does more than match Whedon's writing, it elevates it making Sugar Shock an unbalanced piece instead of the breath taking brilliant statement one would expect when the words "Eisner Award Winner" are on the cover.

It's worth checking out, certainly there are worse ways to spend $3.50 if you by the recent "collection" from Dark Horse as part of the one shot program and judging from Dark Horse's talent roster and publication history, free is definitely worth the time to click around over at myspace.

Story 5
Art 9
Overall 7

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:38 am

mrorangesoda wrote:Image

It's not the comic reference, I don't have a context for the other characters. It plays as meaningless homage instead of funny gag because other than Batman, I don't know who anyone in those two panels are or what their motivations are.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:52 am

Morgan's review of Sugar Shock (I handed it to her after I finished reading it)

It was good but weird. I am pretty sure Dandelion is insane.

The art was good.

I give it a 7

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Sugar Shock is everything that's wrong with Joss Whedon, it was fucking shit.

Moon was wasted.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand