Advertisement

Review Group Week 203 - WEBCOMICS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Dark Horse Presents (Via myspace):

I love anthology titles. Marvel's recent one, Bizarro world, Popgun and many others I flat out love. Dark Horse is no different as I have all the volumes that have been put out in trade. It's great to see a company putting out exclusive content online filled with top tier creators with such varying storytelling.

Dark Horse presents is an anthology that's put out on myspace.com where creators like Steve Niles, Joss Whedon, Gerard Way and others share usually short 8 page stories or longer with the online audience. Artists like Gabriel Ba, Fabio Moon, Jo Chen and many others also grace the pages of the anthology series.

The stories themselves vary from Joss's Sugarshock which has some of the most beautiful artwork I've seen from Moon yet to Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey which is very hard to describe. Something I know I constantly enjoy getting in each collection are the Steve Niles paranormal stories which are a personal treat to read each and every time. They are pulpy and you definitely root for the lead character who goes through some bizarre things.

There was a two page buffy story which really only felt like you'd get it if you were a huge fan (which I of course am) and it's good to see a little bit of Dr. Horrible as well as 3 different Umbrella Academy short stories just focusing on a few of the individual siblings.

It's fun to see this experiment doing so well and I personally cannot wait for more.

Score: 8

(There are currently at least 3 trades out that you can order and I highly recommend them)

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:08 pm

Punchy wrote:Sugar Shock is everything that's wrong with Joss Whedon, it was fucking shit.

Moon was wasted.

Are you Twigg all the sudden? :lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:10 pm

doombug wrote:Are you Twigg all the sudden? :lol:

always was, imo.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:11 pm

doombug wrote:Are you Twigg all the sudden? :lol:

Nope, it was just shit.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Looking for group

By Ryan Sohmer and Lar Desouza

Hands down one of my favorite comics being published today. We follow a group of elfs, mages, trolls and other creatures that feel like you'd be playing D and D as they go on a really crazy journey trying to escape the evil that hunts them down. Okay that's a horrible description but it will work.

Our lead character is an elf named Cale who at the start of the comic is much different then he is now. He was idealistic, caring about the whole world and just confused about his role in life. That is until he got mixed up with the undead warlock Richard which is hands down the best character in the series. Richard likes to cause chaos, light things on fire and just generally be a thorn in everyone's side. But as all characters like that he's easily likable and you can't help but route for the bastard.

The cast is fleshed out by a panther named sooba who is cale's familair, Benny a female half breed healer,Krunch a tauren, Pella who seems to be have the characteristics of both a dwarf and a knome. Together they go on a bizarre journey which has led them to some very interesting places.

The series is overrun by pop culture references and just some great one liners and is a constant treat to read through. I loved learning Rich's battlecry which I wont spoil for you. It's also great seeing all the craziness drawn by Lar who you can tell enjoys each second of it.

Grade: 9

(There are 2 hardcovers volumes available on the site and it is done by the same creative team that does Least I can do.)

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:28 pm

thefourthman wrote:always was, imo.

ala Fight Club or Secret Window? :wink:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Punchy wrote:Nope, it was just shit. IMHO

There you go.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Jude I showed my colorist and my artist the strip you edited, they both laughed. Haven't heard back from my co-writer yet though.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:33 pm

doombug wrote:ala Fight Club or Secret Window? :wink:

ala Norman Bates... twiggy was a real live girl once upon a time, but there was an accident and now she inhabits the mind of Punchy.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:33 pm

doombug wrote:Looking for group

By Ryan Sohmer and Lar Desouza

Hands down one of my favorite comics being published today. We follow a group of elfs, mages, trolls and other creatures that feel like you'd be playing D and D as they go on a really crazy journey trying to escape the evil that hunts them down. Okay that's a horrible description but it will work.

Our lead character is an elf named Cale who at the start of the comic is much different then he is now. He was idealistic, caring about the whole world and just confused about his role in life. That is until he got mixed up with the undead warlock Richard which is hands down the best character in the series. Richard likes to cause chaos, light things on fire and just generally be a thorn in everyone's side. But as all characters like that he's easily likable and you can't help but route for the bastard.

The cast is fleshed out by a panther named sooba who is cale's familair, Benny a female half breed healer,Krunch a tauren, Pella who seems to be have the characteristics of both a dwarf and a knome. Together they go on a bizarre journey which has led them to some very interesting places.

The series is overrun by pop culture references and just some great one liners and is a constant treat to read through. I loved learning Rich's battlecry which I wont spoil for you. It's also great seeing all the craziness drawn by Lar who you can tell enjoys each second of it.

Grade: 9

(There are 2 hardcovers volumes available on the site and it is done by the same creative team that does Least I can do.)

This book is decidely not for me, but you should check out North World, if you haven't already.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:40 pm

thefourthman wrote:This book is decidely not for me, but you should check out North World, if you haven't already.

I shall. I take it you don't like Least I could do either?

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:42 pm

thefourthman wrote:ala Norman Bates... twiggy was a real live girl once upon a time, but there was an accident and now she inhabits the mind of Punchy.

So they co exist or what? :?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:42 pm

doombug wrote:I shall. I take it you don't like Least I could do either?

never heard of it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:46 pm

doombug wrote:So they co exist or what? :?

he keeps her corpse in the attic to scare of potential baristas.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:never heard of it.

you can find it in the first post of the thread. 8)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand