Advertisement

Siege #1 Is On Sale Now!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:01 pm

thefourthman wrote:[spoiler]It's all Loki's fault![/spoiler]

I don't mind if it's She-Loki, that was weirdly hot.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:03 pm

I meant the snow, not the book.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:I meant the snow, not the book.

I don't mind if the snow is She-Loki's fault!

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:You are paying an extra dollar for the event. Marvel has not been dishonest in this. Dark Avengers and New Avengers are $3.99 with no extra content. This also has a cardstock cover.

I can't believe I am defending Marvel's pricing policies, but this is long ago old news, it should not be a surprise to anyone. Marvel charges more for their most successful and most high profile books. They told us they were going to do this.

Sorry but that is a factor that could influence someone's purchase of this book. It's padded with extra content, half of which is not even relevant to the book you are buying. If they had replaced the Hulk preview with other Siege related material, it would have been acceptable. Even if they had taken the preview out of the book so they could have said 27 pages and this is how much we are asking for it. To say that a book is 42 pages but 6 is a preview for another (crappy) book and another 3 is the EIC recapping the last 10 years of Marvel history is misleading.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:10 pm

Dragavon wrote:Sorry but that is a factor that could influence someone's purchase of this book. It's padded with extra content, half of which is not even relevant to the book you are buying. If they had replaced the Hulk preview with other Siege related material, it would have been acceptable. Even if they had taken the preview out of the book so they could have said 27 pages and this is how much we are asking for it. To say that a book is 42 pages but 6 is a preview for another (crappy) book and another 3 is the EIC recapping the last 10 years of Marvel history is misleading.

the solicitation doesn't have a page count and again Marvel stated over a year ago that ALL event books would be $3.99 regardless of page count. War World Hulk and Secret Invasion were $3.99 with no additional material. I fail to see why this is an issue two events later. This one has added material and a card stock material and a preview... seems to me this is a better deal than the last two events.

I understand that GSWOML caused all this butt hurt and I was very vocal about that being fucked up, but that was a situation were more than half the book was not even remotely new material or story and it was two dollars more expensive than a normal book. Hell, it could have been $3.99 and I probably would not have bitched about it.

In the end there is nowhere were we were lied or misled about this. Marvel was one hundred percent straight up about this policy and did not solicit this issue as being larger. I fail to see where these complaints are coming from, other than backlash from GSWOML and that seems misplaced to me. No one had a problem paying this price for WWH or SI, why should they have a problem now? If they had charged $4.99 I might be with you.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:13 pm

Here let me put it another way, I don't see anyone bitching about paying $3.99 for 24 pages of content for Blackest Night and having eight times the number of ads and splash pages every three or four pages.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:Here let me put it another way, I don't see anyone bitching about paying $3.99 for 24 pages of content for Blackest Night and having eight times the number of ads and splash pages every three or four pages.

We're all hypocrites.

BN does have those Black Hand diary things, but those are really shit so I don't read them.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1172 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Punchy wrote:We're all hypocrites.

BN does have those Black Hand diary things, but those are really shit so I don't read them.

:lol: Me neither. It's embarrassing when comics try to do prose, IMO.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Jude Terror wrote::lol: Me neither. It's embarrassing when comics try to do prose, IMO.

Alan Moore can do it well, and that's pretty much it.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Punchy wrote:Alan Moore can do it well, and that's pretty much it.

Yeah, I did a lot of skipping in Black Dossier as well. :wink:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Yeah, I did a lot of skipping in Black Dossier as well. :wink:

You shouldn't have, some of the prose sections are hard to get through (The Kerouac/1984 thing in particular) but it's really rewarding, I know Moore was only really imitating other writers' styles, but it was spot-on, the Shakespeare was scarily good.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Punchy wrote:We're all hypocrites.

I'm not a hypocrite about this. I am being consistent. Wolverine was a lie and an outrage. More than half the book was useless to me and it cost 2 extra dollars.

This book is not horribly decompressed. It is written a lot better than GSWOML. It is cooler, imo, and remember that I am a DC over Marvel guy, than Blackest Night. It has actual bonus content that means something and I liked the Cup O Joe, in fact, I miss it being a monthly thing in the big books. I even like the expanded version here.

But you know what lets count the cup o joe and the title page of the transcript as 1 page. I won't hold the misprint against it, it should have been a page of content and even then I am effectively erasing two pages of content from this book... That gives us Siege #1 at 28 pages of new content for $3.99 Only 5 pages of that are not standard new story comic. There are a total of 4 ads in the entire book and that counts the inside and back covers. There are a total of two single page splash pages in the entire book. And 7 pages of preview.

Now for $3.99 Blackest Night #5 has 25 pages of new content - including a one page text thing and another editoral one page from didio. it has a total of ten pages of ads. It has 8 pages of covers that have been previously released else where for tie in issues. There are also 3 splashes, two of which are two page splashes and one which encroaches on another page of content.

Yet fans are bitching about one and not the other. Seems to me DC could have charged less for their book with all the ads.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:28 pm

thefourthman wrote:I'm not a hypocrite about this. I am being consistent. Wolverine was a lie and an outrage. More than half the book was useless to me and it cost 2 extra dollars.

This book is not horribly decompressed. It is written a lot better than GSWOML. It is cooler, imo, and remember that I am a DC over Marvel guy, than Blackest Night. It has actual bonus content that means something and I liked the Cup O Joe, in fact, I miss it being a monthly thing in the big books. I even like the expanded version here.

But you know what lets count the cup o joe and the title page of the transcript as 1 page. I won't hold the misprint against it, it should have been a page of content and even then I am effectively erasing two pages of content from this book... That gives us Siege #1 at 28 pages of new content for $3.99 Only 5 pages of that are not standard new story comic. There are a total of 4 ads in the entire book and that counts the inside and back covers. There are a total of two single page splash pages in the entire book. And 7 pages of preview.

Now for $3.99 Blackest Night #5 has 25 pages of new content - including a one page text thing and another editoral one page from didio. it has a total of ten pages of ads. It has 8 pages of covers that have been previously released else where for tie in issues. There are also 3 splashes, two of which are two page splashes and one which encroaches on another page of content.

Yet fans are bitching about one and not the other. Seems to me DC could have charged less for their book with all the ads.

We all know that Marvel gets bashed more online than DC, it's because they're the top dog, and even as massive as DC is, it's still seen as the underdog.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 pm

DC really sucks.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:31 pm