Advertisement

Archives, Masterworks & More

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 949 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Archives, Masterworks & More

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:07 pm

So, I thought I'd ask some questions here, of you my fellow Outhousers.

I love the existence of the DC Archives and the Marvel Masterworks plus others like them from other publishers, so I was wondering, what's on your wish lists in those regards?

For myself from Marvel, I'd love to see a Defenders run. I enjoyed that series as a kid in the 70s and think it more then deserves the treatment.
Then if possible, The Micronauts and Rom The Space Knight, but I figure I'll see a live martian before that happens. :cry:
Other choices, beyond them continuing with the ones on the go now, would be The Champions, Guardians Of The Galaxy and Inhumans from the 70s.
From the 80s, The New Mutants and Moon Knight. I think that's all there.

From DC, more of them continuing the series going now but also including the 70s JS of A appearances along with Power Girl, The Fourth World stuff after Kirby, since those are done or being done. Mike Grell's Warlord would be great too plus the Freedom Fighters. From the 80s, All-Star Squadron and the Young All-Stars plus The Outsiders along with Firestorm and maybe Captain Atom. I definitely would like to see more of the Spectre's modern run from the 60s and 70s and also, any Aparo drawn Batman.

From other's, I think most are getting produced, including Mr Monster and DNAgents. But, there's always getting Archie to put out more of their MLJ heroes and Mighty/Radio/Red Circle ones.

You all? :-D
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Advertisement

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:25 pm

I don't think I am the one to ask, since I actually prefer the Showcase/Essential format to the Archive/Masterwork one. :D

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 159 posts

Postby misac » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm

I wish they weren't so expensive.

If I every buy any of these it'll be the two Seven Soldiers.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:34 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I don't think I am the one to ask, since I actually prefer the Showcase/Essential format to the Archive/Masterwork one. :D

You like the cheap b&w version to the kind that'll last to your grandkid's time?

Wow. :shock:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:36 pm

misac wrote:I wish they weren't so expensive.

If I every buy any of these it'll be the two Seven Soldiers.

I wish they were more affordable too, but I still think they're worth the money. I'm after most of them. I've got most of the original run of the Masterworks.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:You like the cheap b&w version to the kind that'll last to your grandkid's time?

I OWN two archive editions and one Masterwork. EACH one of them has been read five or less times. Each one is having binding issues. My Essentials, which I have read many times, have not that problem. So which is more likely to see my grandkids' time?

Plus, as an original art collector, I actually dig the B&W thing. ;)

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

Spidey-Man

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby Spidey-Man » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Defenders is coming

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I OWN two archive editions and one Masterwork. EACH one of them has been read five or less times. Each one is having binding issues. My Essentials, which I have read many times, have not that problem. So which is more likely to see my grandkids' time?

Plus, as an original art collector, I actually dig the B&W thing. ;)

Wow, either you lucked out on those copies or you're being a real beast to them while reading! :shock:
Mine are in great condition.

B&W is cool, but I like seeing the colour too. :-D

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Spiderrob wrote:Defenders is coming

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Severed Djed » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:57 pm

I've never bought an Archive at full price, generally at half or below, and they've stayed in good shape, so that's worked out for me.

I'd like to see more Challengers of the Unknown in that format, but the Showcases have outstripped them in content, so it is unlikely.

My dream Archive would be a Captain Comet, which I think they could do as a large done-in-one, but I don't think that'll happen either.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:31 pm

Severed Djed wrote:I've never bought an Archive at full price, generally at half or below, and they've stayed in good shape, so that's worked out for me.

I'd like to see more Challengers of the Unknown in that format, but the Showcases have outstripped them in content, so it is unlikely.

My dream Archive would be a Captain Comet, which I think they could do as a large done-in-one, but I don't think that'll happen either.

Hey, we can always dream and spam the hell out of their mailboxes with requests! :-D :wink:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 377 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:49 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:You like the cheap b&w version to the kind that'll last to your grandkid's time?

Could you imagine monkeyboy having grandchildren? Yikes! :P

I don't think I'd buy these mostly because they're expensive and I don't like old comics most of the time but I have seen some and they look pretty neat. D had some, I think, when he was clearing out stuff and they looked impressive. Of course, I only buy books in hardback if they're discounted ;)
SHABBA!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:53 am

That Masterworks cover is FUGLY. It looks really cheap.

I own a couple of the Marvel phonebooks, and I'd way rather have them than the expensive hardbacks. Especially since most of them are really goofy silver-age stuff that I can't often read without a healthy dose of irony.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand