Advertisement

I read some comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

I read some comics

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Skaar Son of the Hulk #1
Stupid. It was like Planet Hulk, but disjointed and with bad art.

The Eternals #1
Meh. It's trying too hard to be the New Gods and I got bored by the end of the first issue.

Guardians of the Galaxy #1
This was fun. Adding it to my list. I should have bought this when it first came out.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Advertisement

diana_fan

Re: I read some comics

Postby diana_fan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:32 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy #1
This was fun. Adding it to my list. I should have bought this when it first came out.

What's it about? I don't really follow Marvel at all, so I'm completely out of the loop.

Midas
cheese

Postby Midas » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:12 pm

diana_fan wrote:What's it about? I don't really follow Marvel at all, so I'm completely out of the loop.

A bunch of the second tier cosmic heroes from the Annihilation series get together and form an intergalactic first response squad. They are headquartered at the crossroads of reality (called Knowhere, I think) inside the floating head of a dead celestial. Very "high concept" stuff. The first issue introduced a lot of concepts but this promises to be a very fun book.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Midas wrote:A bunch of the second tier cosmic heroes from the Annihilation series get together and form an intergalactic first response squad. They are headquartered at the crossroads of reality (called Knowhere, I think) inside the floating head of a dead celestial. Very "high concept" stuff. The first issue introduced a lot of concepts but this promises to be a very fun book.

Thanks.

Sounds interesting. I don't know any of the characters or the milieu. But maybe I'll give it a look.

Midas
cheese

Postby Midas » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:19 pm

I just read Drafted #7 and since I'm probably the only one out there reading this, I wanted to say that it's a great book. A seemingly all-powerful alien armada reaches Earth and conscripts almost the entire population into fighting yet another alien onslaught that has our planet in its sights. It's mostly the story of a small group of draftees (including the president of the United States) and how they are dealing with the complete paradigm shift they are experiencing. It's got great character moments (how are all these people dealing with this) and characters. Despite this micro level, we also are getting a great macro level story (told mostly through the context of three religious men who have joined together to preach to the masses. On top of all that, we the readers are not even sure as to whether the first aliens really have our best interests at heart--they've killed whole swathes of people, destroyed cities and have done a lot of things that make the reader question their motives. The art is the best I've seen from Devil's Due. The writer, Mark Powers, is a real talent. I believe it's already been optioned for a movie, and it could be a really good one depending on how things turn out. The second alien invasion is coming next issue. Very worthy of finding the back issues and jumping on board.

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Dugan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Midas wrote:A bunch of the second tier cosmic heroes from the Annihilation series get together and form an intergalactic first response squad. They are headquartered at the crossroads of reality (called Knowhere, I think) inside the floating head of a dead celestial. Very "high concept" stuff. The first issue introduced a lot of concepts but this promises to be a very fun book.

Plus it has a telepathic Russian Dog and talking Raccoon/Tree Buddy-duo!

I'm glad i didn't pick up Skaar in the end, other than Planet Hulk and Incredible Herc (which i actually give more credit to FVL for) Pak's never impressed me.
Last edited by Dugan on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midas
cheese

Postby Midas » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:21 pm

diana_fan wrote:Thanks.

Sounds interesting. I don't know any of the characters or the milieu. But maybe I'll give it a look.

I didn't either, but they do a very good job of introducing everybody and letting you know what you need to. There's definitely some deeper stuff going on that long-time readers would appreciate, but none of that "continuity" detracted from my enjoyment of this book as a casual reader.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:21 am

Dum Dum Dugan wrote:Plus it has a telepathic Russian Dog and talking Raccoon/Tree Buddy-duo!

I'm glad i didn't pick up Skaar in the end, other than Planet Hulk and Incredible Herc (which i actually give more credit to FVL for) Pak's never impressed me.

yeah, that's not gonna sell d_f. he has some blind ridiculous hatred for talking animals in comics. unless they're from Gorilla City.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:33 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, that's not gonna sell d_f. he has some blind ridiculous hatred for talking animals in comics. unless they're from Gorilla City.

LOL

Oh, come on. There are some I tolerate. Like ... hmm.

Maybe you're right. :)

Wait. Tyrone is awesome. And he "talks."

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Dum Dum Dugan wrote:Plus it has a telepathic Russian Dog and talking Raccoon/Tree Buddy-duo!

Quoted for the truth!

Pak is just average. He wrote a decent story after the sorry mess that was Jones's run, and people were so relieved they were willing to say that he was a good writer (but then almost anybody is compared to Jones).

Van Lente has far more skill and is deeply underrated.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand