Advertisement

Review Group Week 206 - JOE THE BARBARIAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:05 pm

doombug wrote:i seriously have to use quick reply just to post in this thread.

charging 3.99 for one shot or an annual is no big deal.

for a mini or a new ongoing it's fucking insane.

fuck you, i fixed it you whiney bastard.

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:08 pm

thefourthman wrote:fuck you, i fixed it you whiney bastard.

:lol:

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:we'll never know because it didn't happen. I think Unwritten and this book see better sales then they would have as a result of the price.

People seem to like SWORD, a lot. The third issue just hit the stands with the announcement that 5 was it.

With the FOC system, #3 is the settle down point. If it had a #1 that was only a dollar it would probably have another issue before the attrition would have forced the hand and that is another issue for word of mouth to get out.

I know that you are going to say it sucks and that is why it is cancelled, but you know what? I genuinely don't think anyone puts out comics that they think suck and some people like books you don't. Giving them an edge in the market place can only be a good thing, regardless of any other issues the book may have.

Exactly.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

doombug wrote:i seriously have to use quick reply just to post in this thread.

charging 3.99 for one shot or an annual is no big deal.

for a mini or a new ongoing it's fucking insane.

I also kind of agree with this. I think if the mini or new ongoing is about a lower level character, like Brother Voodoo, and is by a creative team that isn't one of the biggest then it's insane. However if it's a big thing like Blackest Night or has a high profile team like Morrison and Quietly or Bendis and Copiel it makes sense. With books that don't have a Batman or a Bendis type of draw, you need to give it more advantages to get it out to the public.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:21 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I also kind of agree with this. I think if the mini or new ongoing is about a lower level character, like Brother Voodoo, and is by a creative team that isn't one of the biggest then it's insane. However if it's a big thing like Blackest Night or has a high profile team like Morrison and Quietly or Bendis and Copiel it makes sense. With books that don't have a Batman or a Bendis type of draw, you need to give it more advantages to get it out to the public.

i agree completely with this actually.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:09 pm

doombug wrote:thanks for breaking the page lee. :lol:

punchy your insane if you don't think that the 1 dollar thing would help new marvel series by a lot.

I never said it wouldn't help, I just think that $3.99 for a #1 issue doesn't hurt, both SWORD #1 and Doctor Voodoo #1 were over-sized after all.

The reasons for those 2 books cancellation are more than price, it's the fact that they star D-List characters and are by new writers.

Joe The Barbarian is by Grant Morrison, Unwritten is by Mike Carey, established names with a following.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Punchy wrote:I never said it wouldn't help, I just think that $3.99 for a #1 issue doesn't hurt, both SWORD #1 and Doctor Voodoo #1 were over-sized after all.

The reasons for those 2 books cancellation are more than price, it's the fact that they star D-List characters and are by new writers.

Joe The Barbarian is by Grant Morrison, Unwritten is by Mike Carey, established names with a following.

Mike Carey isn't nearly the name that a guy like Bendis or Morrison or Johns is. He's a guy with a small following and the $1 first issue was a major selling point.

Also, The Unwritten had a 40 page first issue for $1. If Marvel had done oversized first issues for $1 for SWORD and Doctor Voodoo, they would have sold more issues and maybe more people would have stayed with the book.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:14 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Mike Carey isn't nearly the name that a guy like Bendis or Morrison or Johns is. He's a guy with a small following and the $1 first issue was a major selling point.

Also, The Unwritten had a 40 page first issue for $1. If Marvel had done oversized first issues for $1 for SWORD and Doctor Voodoo, they would have sold more issues and maybe more people would have stayed with the book.

But he's far bigger than Kieron Gillen and Rick Remender.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Punchy wrote:But he's far bigger than Kieron Gillen and Rick Remender.

I'd say he's only a little bigger than Remender, honestly. Carey has done some X-Men stuff, Remender has done some Punisher stuff. Remender has some really well liked but low selling indy stuff, Carey is the same. Carey is where Remender will be in 2 or 3 years. Carey has more in common with him than with Morrison or Bendis or Johns or whatever.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:20 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I'd say he's only a little bigger than Remender, honestly. Carey has done some X-Men stuff, Remender has done some Punisher stuff. Remender has some really well liked but low selling indy stuff, Carey is the same. Carey is where Remender will be in 2 or 3 years. Carey has more in common with him than with Morrison or Bendis or Johns or whatever.

He's got a big following at Vertigo, he did Lucifer for 70 or so issues, when the team behind that book launch a new Vertigo ongoing... then it's a big deal.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Punchy wrote:He's got a big following at Vertigo, he did Lucifer for 70 or so issues, when the team behind that book launch a new Vertigo ongoing... then it's a big deal.

Lucifer wasn't a huge seller. I don't really think he has a much bigger following than a guy like Remender.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:26 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Lucifer wasn't a huge seller. I don't really think he has a much bigger following than a guy like Remender.

It sold enough to last 75 issues

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 pm

Punchy wrote:It sold enough to last 75 issues

Vertigo lets a lot of books hang around even if they aren't huge sellers and have other books that sell better and don't last as long. 70 issues is a good accomplishment, but it's not something that means it was selling amazingly. And even if it was an easier sell, that's more reason to charge more, not to charge $1. Saying the $1 price point wasn't a big part of why the first issue sold so much is silly. Of course it helped sell more issues.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:32 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Vertigo lets a lot of books hang around even if they aren't huge sellers and have other books that sell better and don't last as long. 70 issues is a good accomplishment, but it's not something that means it was selling amazingly. And even if it was an easier sell, that's more reason to charge more, not to charge $1. Saying the $1 price point wasn't a big part of why the first issue sold so much is silly. Of course it helped sell more issues.

I never said it didn't, I just think that Mike Carey is a big enough name to also have had an effect.

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Dugan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:44 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Also, The Unwritten had a 40 page first issue for $1. If Marvel had done oversized first issues for $1 for SWORD and Doctor Voodoo, they would have sold more issues and maybe more people would have stayed with the book.

Not entering the debate but S.W.O.R.D. #1 was larger than normal wasn't it, it had the back-up with art by McKelvie which dealt with the conclusion from one of the best selling comics of recent times (Astonishing X-men).

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand