Tuesday, May 31, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Good enough for government work!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Review Group Week 206 - JOE THE BARBARIAN #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

******

Postby ****** » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:49 pm

Dum Dum Dugan wrote:Not entering the debate but S.W.O.R.D. #1 was larger than normal wasn't it, it had the back-up with art by McKelvie which dealt with the conclusion from one of the best selling comics of recent times (Astonishing X-men).


But if you're at the shop and you're thinking about buying a new comic, which are you more likely to try, a standard length book for $1 or a book with a backup story for $4?
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:02 pm

amlah6 wrote:But if you're at the shop and you're thinking about buying a new comic, which are you more likely to try, a standard length book for $1 or a book with a backup story for $4?


I bought both :lol:
User avatar

guitargod694

cheese

Postby guitargod694 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:11 pm

So uh... do you guys ever review comics in your comic review threads?

:-D
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

guitargod694 wrote:So uh... do you guys ever review comics in your comic review threads?

:-D


Not this week, Amlah should start a weekly Price bitching group.

******

Postby ****** » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:20 pm

guitargod694 wrote:So uh... do you guys ever review comics in your comic review threads?

:-D


No, mostly we just bait Punchy into an argument and see how far he'll take it.

When House of J comes back, I think he'll be proud. :-D
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:26 pm

amlah6 wrote:No, mostly we just bait Punchy into an argument and see how far he'll take it.

When House of J comes back, I think he'll be proud. :-D


This is pretty tame.
User avatar

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Joe the barbarian #1

This is more proof that anything Grant Morrrison gives us of his own creations, is a superior read to 99.99% of everything he does for the big two. A young boy who is ridiculed by other children and has lost his father can create his own world to live in.

The story was actually comprehensive, not at all pretentious in the ways that Grant feels is necessary in his mainstream work. I love the art as well. It seemed to be a great fit for the beginning of this story. The house alone is worth the price of admission when it comes to the art.

At the same time, not much really happened except a very basic introduction, but then for a dollar, what more should you expect?

I enjoyed this and could find myself wanting more. Just like his Seaguy. But it has made me wonder if Grant just wants to work with the big guys to try and destroy them from the inside? (Except perhaps Superman) I just don't get how he could be so terrific in his own work and not get a simple concept like Batman or X-Men?

Still, I recommend this very much.

Story: 6
Art: 9
My Score: 7.5
User avatar

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Joe The Barbarian Review

Morrison is a guy that I absolutely believe is one of the most talented writers of our generation. Sometimes he writes shit that I have no fucking idea what he's trying to do and other times I'm just blown away. Even in the stuff I am utterly confused I at least respect what he's trying to do. Final Crisis had brilliant ideas but failed in execution for me, a non-DC guy. This is a book that I probably would have passed on and grabbed the trade at some point but I couldn't pass on the one dollar price tag. I'm damn glad I did bc this is instantly added to my pull list. This has a very I Kill Giants feel to it and that is one of my favorite stories. Sean Murphy is a perfect fit for this comic. there were a lot of pages with little to no dialogue and that didn't hurt at all. As a side note, that kids room is awesome and I'd love to live in a house like that. Morrison dropped enough plot threads here to keep me thoroughly interested in sticking with the book. I am super excited to see where this goes, I just hope this book doesn't end on a sad note (i have an odd feeling that it will) but I am in for the ride regardless.

Story 8
Art 9.5
Overall 8.75
User avatar

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Starlord, I really liked his x-men and although his batman got confusing as shit towards the end, I really liked what he was doing with the character. I think he fully understands the mainstream stuff but he doesn't conform to it at all which is why it rubs people the wrong way.
User avatar

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 am

Chubbles wrote:Starlord, I really liked his x-men and although his batman got confusing as shit towards the end, I really liked what he was doing with the character. I think he fully understands the mainstream stuff but he doesn't conform to it at all which is why it rubs people the wrong way.


But this is what I've noticed about the difference between his mainstream and his own stuff. Please bare with this analogy.

It's like if he took over Sweethearts and decided to eliminate all the flavors and change them with: Coffee, pumpkin pie, sardine, and lasagna flavor. Then turns around and makes his own brand of sweethearts with grape, cherry, orange, and lime flavor.

I don't get why he does that. :?
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:29 am

so, Joe is gonna get a reread, but I was far from impressed. It is really uneven in its writing and I HATE IT WHEN A FUCKING BOOK REQUIRES THAT YOU READ OUTSIDE INFO TO UNDERSTAND IT (and how wrong is he about diabetes to begin with?). I will say this though, it sure was pretty.

And I think I would have rather paid $2.99 and gotten issue two with this, so I had some idea what the hell it was all about.
User avatar

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:57 am

thefourthman wrote:so, Joe is gonna get a reread, but I was far from impressed. It is really uneven in its writing and I HATE IT WHEN A FUCKING BOOK REQUIRES THAT YOU READ OUTSIDE INFO TO UNDERSTAND IT (and how wrong is he about diabetes to begin with?). I will say this though, it sure was pretty.

And I think I would have rather paid $2.99 and gotten issue two with this, so I had some idea what the hell it was all about.


Not knowing what was really going on was what i liked most about it. I have faith that this could be a pretty good read going forward. Plus like you said, the art is good on the eyes.
User avatar

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:59 am

starlord wrote:But this is what I've noticed about the difference between his mainstream and his own stuff. Please bare with this analogy.

It's like if he took over Sweethearts and decided to eliminate all the flavors and change them with: Coffee, pumpkin pie, sardine, and lasagna flavor. Then turns around and makes his own brand of sweethearts with grape, cherry, orange, and lime flavor.

I don't get why he does that. :?


I think what he tries to do is put his own little spin on anything he touches. Sometimes it works (New X-Men), sometimes it doesn't (Final Crisis). I just like that he doesn't give a shit and wants to be as wild and crazy as possible. I admire that in the guy.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:22 am

Chubbles wrote:Not knowing what was really going on was what i liked most about it. I have faith that this could be a pretty good read going forward. Plus like you said, the art is good on the eyes.

I have no problem with not knowing what is going on, but when your solicitation copy and interviews and editorial slab say something, it should not only be more obvious in the book, when it is something like the kid's affliction it should be a tad bit better researched.

Also, it was really annoying that the previews robbed the book of its emotional crux... the revelation on the last page was new, but the sense of wonder had already been lost.

Plus, from an editing stand point, this may be the worst book I have read in a while. There are "typos" all over the place, syntax errors and phrases dropped into the nethersphere.

I was really disappointed overall.
User avatar

Kerny

Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:00 pm

thefourthman wrote:so, Joe is gonna get a reread, but I was far from impressed. It is really uneven in its writing and I HATE IT WHEN A FUCKING BOOK REQUIRES THAT YOU READ OUTSIDE INFO TO UNDERSTAND IT (and how wrong is he about diabetes to begin with?). I will say this though, it sure was pretty.

And I think I would have rather paid $2.99 and gotten issue two with this, so I had some idea what the hell it was all about.


Very wrong I think

I have type 1 diabetes and have had low and high blood sugars before.

I have never tripped balls like Joe did here :lol:

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Hermit_Sage, Yahoo [Bot] and 103 guests

cron