Advertisement

Review Group Week 206 - JOE THE BARBARIAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 am

The issue certainly doesn't seem to have generated the discussion of the last couple of books we've reviewed.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 am

MrBlack wrote:The issue certainly doesn't seem to have generated the discussion of the last couple of books we've reviewed.

I don't know, I am sure there is a place for it in the sod, but it seems like a lively bit of discussion, anyhow.

prozacman
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: Sir PopsPills Alot
Formerly: Darth Prozac

Postby prozacman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 am

Don't think I can get this one (along with most of the comics I have in my pull box). I'm not only merely broke, I;m really most sincerely broke!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:15 am

prozacman wrote:Don't think I can get this one (along with most of the comics I have in my pull box). I'm not only merely broke, I;m really most sincerely broke!

I'm waiting, but the music isn't starting.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:18 am

11 hours later, and I'm still not ready to review. Maybe later today.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:55 pm

No review today, went to the pub instead, and you shouldn't review drunk.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Joe the Barbarian
So, as a $1 comic, Joe the Barbarian is an amazing book. The art by Sean Murphy is rich and textured and beautifully detailed. He draws a number of full-page panels and demonstrates in them his ability to illustrate complex scenes with a perfect blend of realism and dynamic stylization. The page with the kid walking to his house as the bus drives off is simply amazing. A real masterpiece in a technical sense. Murphy has been on fire artistically since he did two issues of Hellblazer about a year ago. So I am very pleased that he will have the chance now to draw a long story and show off his considerable talents.

But that said, as an introductory chapter to an eight-issue story, I'm not sure what to make of Joe the Barbarian. We are introduced to Joe, a sickly teenage kid who is the cliched artist-type tormented by the cliched school bullies. We see that Joe comes from a broken home and that he considers his attic-bedroom a refuge from the ugliness of the outside world. And we also see Joe suffering a brief hallucinatory break from reality, where his toys come to life and introduce him to a nightmarish world. But we don't know where this story is headed or what this book is really about. In other words, there are a lot of introductions but not much action or development or even basic foreshadowing.

On one hand, it's difficult to rate Grant Morrison's story so far, because it's unfair to expect too much from the first chapter in an eight-chapter story. But on the other hand, aside from a few snappy lines ("This fairytale's on a one-way trip to hell"), nothing in the story made me want to read issue two. Joe is not particularly interesting as a character. Hallucinations are not particularly novel (especially in Grant Morrison stories). And talking toys have been done before. So, to be honest, if the art weren't so damn good, I don't think I'd make any effort to pick up future issues. It's especially hard to be enthusiastic about this book because it's poorly edited; it has typos, repeat words, and some very choppy dialogue in one key scene.

Joe the Barbarian may turn into a wonderfully written series. But the first issue is a very, very, very slow start.

Story: 6
ART: 10

I edited my review based on Fourthy's observations. Thanks, Lee.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Punchy wrote:No review today, went to the pub instead, and you shouldn't review drunk.

in your case, I wish you would.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I edited my review based on Fourthy's observations. Thanks, Lee.

now I feel bad.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Punchy wrote:No review today, went to the pub instead, and you shouldn't review drunk.

Some of my best reviews have been whiskey inspired.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:24 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Some of my best reviews have been whiskey inspired.

48THRiLLS book reviews:

[youtube=425,344,QTN7Qs5v5-I][/youtube]

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Just read this.

I loved it. But more for the art than the story. I fucking LOVED the art.

The story was pretty simple. There really wasn't enough there to judge the book on. Right now, it just seems like Home Alone meets The Indian in the Cupboard.. hopefully Morrison doesn't deliver a turd with the rest of the issues.

Story: 7

Art: 10

Total: 8.5

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:44 pm

thefourthman wrote:now I feel bad.

Why? I appreciate your response to my review. If we post opinions here, we want input on our opinions. At least I do. And I agree that the editing is sloppy in the book and it merits mention.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:55 pm

unless some one has a better idea (and I'll be the judge of that), next weeks book is Robocop Vol 2 #1
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:04 pm

GHERU wrote:unless some one has a better idea (and I'll be the judge of that), next weeks book is Robocop Vol 2 #1

[center]Image
Robocop #1
as selected by GHERU[/center]Writer: Rob Williams
Penciller/Inker: Fabiano Neves

Dynamite Entertainment proudly presents the dynamic debut of Robocop by writer Rob (Classwar) Williams and artist Fabiano (MARVEL ZOMBIES VS. THE ARMY OF DARKNESS) Neves! Under two awesome covers - one by the sensational Stephen Segovia and the other by Dynamite's newest artistic sensation (and the pupil of artist David Finch) Johnny D! - Dynamite goes back to basics as it unveils the dystopian, deeply satirical, and all-out violent world of Robocop.
This is ROBOCOP meets the conspiracy theory mystery of ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, following on from Paul Verhoeven's original by mixing high action, extreme violence and satire. Plus: the return of ED-209!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand