Advertisement

Review Group Week 206 - JOE THE BARBARIAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:44 am

Pfffft! wrote:I will do just about anything for a dollar, though.

Fixed.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:38 am

Old Man wrote:Fixed.

That's what I meant.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 am

I was going to LOLtron the Wacker, Brevoort and Alonso promotions, but my Internet has been iffy all week.

I think they deserve it.

Also, I have a challenge, let's go a month, 4 weeks of Review Group with no discussion of pricing? Can we do it?

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:46 am

Punchy wrote:Also, I have a challenge, let's go a month, 4 weeks of Review Group with no discussion of pricing? Can we do it?

How much you gonna pay me to not talk about money?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Punchy wrote:I was going to LOLtron the Wacker, Brevoort and Alonso promotions, but my Internet has been iffy all week.

I think they deserve it.

Also, I have a challenge, let's go a month, 4 weeks of Review Group with no discussion of pricing? Can we do it?

I will not be censored!

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:06 pm

My review...finally.

Went out to the bar last night. Got to bed at 5 this morning. Got up at 9:30. What better time to re-read a Morrison book than in a state of lesser brain function.

Joe the Barbarian -- It's by Morrison. It doesn't have to make sense. All it has to do is suggest a much greater story is there, and to suggest that I don't have the smarts to figure it out. Was the title inspired by political pop culture icon Joe the Plumber?

Joe is a nerdy high school student. He is an artist, and he has a gerbil and a whole bunch of action figures.* In a cutsey twist, he doesn't live in his mother's basement, he lives in her attic!

Joe is also apparently a diabetic. This can be inferred from the story, but I understand Morrison has stated so in an interview. In the story, his mother tells Joe to make sure he eats his candy bar. I'm under the impression that a candy bar is eaten in emergency cases when a diabetic's blood sugar gets too low, not as an ongoing control agent. Then again, Morrison is so much smarter than I am that he may know differently.

The art is okay. It's very close to being very good. Maybe as we get further into the story the art will gain that extra little bit to make it very good. The house is supposedly integral to the story. It is drawn in detail for several panels, quite nicely, I might add. Is this house the house where Morrison grew up? Is that the meta context here? Am I searching too hard to find the great story that Morrison has in his head?

It's a Morrison story, so I will give the next issue a chance to win me other. From a lesser creator, I'd give this a 6. That it is from Morrison, and the artist is making an effort here, I'll give it a 7. But if the second issue doesn't impress me, I may go create my own fantasy world.
____

* Did you know the difference between an action figure and a doll? If it has a change of clothes, it's a doll.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:07 pm

As I am sure Punchy has a change of clothes, does that make him a doll? :?:

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Old Man wrote:Is this house the house where Morrison grew up? Is that the meta context here? Am I searching too hard to find the great story that Morrison has in his head?

No, Sean Murphy actually talks about it in the back of the issue.. he designed it all himself. It's the kind of room he always wanted as a kid, or something.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:12 pm

CHRIS! wrote:No, Sean Murphy actually talks about it in the back of the issue.. he designed it all himself. It's the kind of room he always wanted as a kid, or something.

On the editorial page, I'm assuming. Almost never read those.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Old Man wrote:How much you gonna pay me to not talk about money?

I will give you your happiness back.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Punchy wrote:I will give you your happiness back.

Not gonna happen. Me and happiness is mortal emanees. (m n eee) (enemies)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Old Man wrote:Not gonna happen. Me and happiness is mortal emanees. (m n eee) (enemies)

Your life will be so much better!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:13 pm

oh yeah, my review for Robocop may be a little late, as I'm taking in my laptop to be fixed tomorrow, as the hinge is broken. It'll probably be back on time, but it may not be, so... yeah.

I could go into Uni and write my review, but I'd be seen with a comic! Can I stand the shame?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Punchy wrote:oh yeah, my review for Robocop may be a little late, as I'm taking in my laptop to be fixed tomorrow, as the hinge is broken. It'll probably be back on time, but it may not be, so... yeah.

I could go into Uni and write my review, but I'd be seen with a comic! Can I stand the shame?

Don't you already have to deal with the shame of looking like this?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:28 pm

CHRIS! wrote:Don't you already have to deal with the shame of looking like this?

I look much better now.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand