Advertisement

Review Group Week 206 - JOE THE BARBARIAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 182 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:45 pm

I got a better idea punchy, how about four whole weeks where you don't bitch about the things that others don't like about comics. If you can do that, maybe the rest of us will do you challenge the following four weeks.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:49 pm

thefourthman wrote:I got a better idea punchy, how about four whole weeks where you don't bitch about the things that others don't like about comics. If you can do that, maybe the rest of us will do you challenge the following four weeks.

You bitch more than I bitch, bitch.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:55 pm

You both bitch more than the rest of the forum combined.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:56 pm

CHRIS! wrote:You both bitch more than the rest of the forum combined.

Bitch

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby MrBlack » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Old Man wrote:As I am sure Punchy has a change of clothes, does that make him a doll? :?:

Cosplayer.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:04 pm

MrBlack wrote:Cosplayer.

I will mash your face in and then take your mother Mrs Black out for a lovely seafood dinner, and never call her again!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 184 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 pm

CHRIS! wrote:You both bitch more than the rest of the forum combined.

I actually kind of agree with Chris here. :lol:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Punchy wrote:I will mash your face in and then take your mother Mrs Black out for a lovely seafood dinner, and never call her again!

Wow the british really do suck at trash talking.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:19 pm

doombug wrote:Wow the british really do suck at everything.

Fixed

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 391 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:20 pm

doombug wrote:Wow the british really do suck at trash talking.
He just said MrBlack's married to MommaBlack.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:37 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:He just said MrBlack's married to MommaBlack.

No he said he was going to take out MrBlack's mother for food and then never call her. :lol:

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 pm

It wasn't bad, but it took me 3 tries to read it because I kept getting interrupted.

I give it a 6.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 391 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:46 pm

doombug wrote:No he said he was going to take out MrBlack's mother for food and then never call her. :lol:
Yeah but he said MrsBlack. everybody knows MrBlack's momma is called MommaBlack.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:42 am

doombug wrote:Wow the british really do suck at trash talking.

That was a quote from an American movie

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:15 am

Joe the Barbarian

I enjoyed this book, despite not having much of a clue what was going on. Grant Morrison does a good job of introducting us to Joe, a talanted young artist with some father issues and a target for local bullies. In addition, Joe is diabetic, and we see his mother cautioning him to eat a chocolate bar while on a field trip (I will get to that later). We also see that he has a strong connection to his house, and seems concerned over the possibility that he and his mother may be forced out of it for reasons yet unknown.

After going home and laying down for a nap, Joe wakes up and begins to hallucinate, which he seems to blame on his diabetes. He then sees a world made up of his action figures, who have been decimated by some unknown force and are in the midst of fleeing.

Like others here, I initially thought that Morrison simply did not do his research on diabetes. I did find, however, that low blood sugar can lead to hallucinations in some cases, so Joe's reaction is not entirely outside the realm of possibility. The chocolate bar is definitely out of the ordinary, but maybe his mother is trying to kill him or something; it's Morrison so anything is possible.

As for what any of this actually means, I have no clue. This may be a tale of a boy becoming a man, told through his diabetes-induced hallucination about his action figures. It could also be that Joe's hallucination has caused him to intersect with an actual alternate reality, a theme frequently touched on by Morrison. It could be nothing more than a simple hallucination, with the actual story dealing with the trials and tribulations of Joe in the real world. Or it could be something completely different; again, it's Morrison.

The big question is whether this is a satisfying story. I would say that as a first issue, it did its job of setting up the main character and teasing the audience just enough to get them to buy issue #2. That said, it would have been nice to have a little bit more of an idea of what is going on, but I am willing to forgive that of Morrison because he generally delivers on the promise of his ideas.

Sean Gordon Murphy does an excellent job on art chores. It is very detailed and Murphy structures his layouts perfectly. The POVs used by Murphy are very interesting, particularly when we are first shown Joe's bedroom, and on the last page. In each, Murphy uses a POV that fits the needs of each panel like a glove. With the bedroom, the POV establishes the actual size of the room Joe has chosen to live in, compared to the modest sized rooms in the rest of the house. In the second, Murphy manages to fit in a large cast of characters while still showing devestation on the horizon and isolating Joe, both physically and mentally. The finishing work is a little rougher than I'm used to seeing in comics, but it adds a nice energy and roughness to the finished product.

I enjoyed this comic, and I am definitely intrigued enough to check out the second issue. I do not know if I would recommend it based on this issue alone, but the art is wonderful, and the story has a great deal of potential, despite numerous editing flaws and a potentially major research mistake by the writer.

Story: 7.5
Art: 9
Overall: 8.5

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand