Advertisement

Review Group Week 206 - JOE THE BARBARIAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm hoping to pick this up soon. It's been really busy.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ****** » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:45 pm

Joe the Barbarian #1

The first time I read this it came off a bit odd and I think maybe reading and taking part in some of the discussion here clouded my judgment of it a bit.

After putting it aside for a few days and taking a fresh look at it, I liked it a lot. It does have a few of Morrison's idiosyncrasies with pacing that have been a part of his work for the past couple of years, but it didn't bother me at all upon re-reading the issue. There is a fuzzying of the real world science to get where Morrison is going with this, but I don't think the how stuff is happening is as important to the story as what is happening. Things here were certainly set up well enough that I won't think twice about reading the rest of Joe the Barbarian when the series has been completed.

Morrison's story however feels a bit inconsequential when compared to the contributions of Sean Murphy and Dave Stewart. Morrison may be credited as "Creator", but Sean Murphy owns this book. This was just a stunning achievement in detail, I find my self looking at the issue again and again and I find something new each time. I never read the editorial page in Vertigo books, but for whatever reason I did this time and it's certainly worth it for everyone to take the time and give it a quick read.

Story: 8
Art: 10
Overall: 9

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Punchy wrote:That was a quote from an American movie

and now your trying to be hip? :lol:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Just finished this. I need to finish some homework then my review since I loved this book a lot.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:53 pm

So I will start by echoing everyone sentiment that this book is absolutely gorgeous. Sean Murphy is a true talent that I think we'll be the next major exclusive contract signing by dc or stolen by marvel. I've also been reading all the complaints of the lack of direction or things not on page of the comic that's happening off the page, well I didn't have that problem at all. I think Grant is telling a great story that I will be waiting till it's collected only because I don't feel like waiting 2 years for an 8 issue mini.Morrison is not treating you like an idiot and letting you figure things out for yourself. This was a great 1st issue and I look forward to a promising series however long it takes to be collected. Also Joe has a pet rat...so do I. The pet rat puts it over for me and I give the book a score of

9.9. Great first issue.

- Les Paul

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post

Postby MrBlack » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 pm

I'm torn on the pet rat. My family had one for years that we loved, but we just had one in our house that ate our dishwasher.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 pm

That was a rat? I thought it was a gerbil. How do you (and I mean anybody who read it) know it was a rat? Did I miss that in the book? Or is that revealed elsewhere? (The comic os about 15 feet away from me right now, but I am old and feeble. It might take too much effort to walk that far without my walker.) :wink:
I was perfectly content before I was born.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:58 pm

Old Man wrote:That was a rat? I thought it was a gerbil. How do you (and I mean anybody who read it) know it was a rat? Did I miss that in the book? Or is that revealed elsewhere? (The comic os about 15 feet away from me right now, but I am old and feeble. It might take too much effort to walk that far without my walker.) :wink:

Ummm...it looked like a rat? :?

http://comicmastersonline.com/shop/imag ... AN%20I.jpg

Big image, so I'm linking instead of posting it. Check out the tail on that sucker. Definitely a rat.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Definitely a rat. And if it's name is jack then it has humoungous rat balls.

- Les Paul

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:12 pm

7.8* out of 10* Just a warm up issue. Still interested in the series, though.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Postby ****** » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:19 pm

Old Man wrote:That was a rat? I thought it was a gerbil. How do you (and I mean anybody who read it) know it was a rat? Did I miss that in the book? Or is that revealed elsewhere? (The comic os about 15 feet away from me right now, but I am old and feeble. It might take too much effort to walk that far without my walker.) :wink:

Time for new glasses then. :wink:

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:46 pm

amlah6 wrote:Time for new glasses then. :wink:

I appreciate the comment in many ways, but these ARE new glasses. I am in no way blind, having just passed the eye test for renewing my driver's license, but...I can't see shit with these glasses, nor could I with the last pair. One good thing about that is that I can't see how ugly people are unless I get real close to them.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 pm

amlah6 wrote:Time for new glasses then. :wink:

:lol: love the new filler bunny avatar.

Postby ****** » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks. :-)

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:45 pm

amlah6 wrote:Thanks. :-)

You read the Jhonen Vasquez MODOK story in that Marvel indie anthology?

He really needs to release a new damn project already.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand