Advertisement

Review Group Week 206 - JOE THE BARBARIAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Old Man wrote:I appreciate the comment in many ways, but these ARE new glasses. I am in no way blind, having just passed the eye test for renewing my driver's license, but...I can't see shit with these glasses, nor could I with the last pair. One good thing about that is that I can't see how ugly people are unless I get real close to them.

which is why I keep my distance. ;-)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:57 pm

doombug wrote:You read the Jhonen Vasquez MODOK story in that Marvel indie anthology?

He really needs to release a new damn project already.

It's only been 10 years since his last regular comics work. Why should he start now? :evil:

I haven't read the Strange Tales story yet, but I think the hardcover of that isn't much more than a few weeks away.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 am

amlah6 wrote:It's only been 10 years since his last regular comics work. Why should he start now? :evil:

I haven't read the Strange Tales story yet, but I think the hardcover of that isn't much more than a few weeks away.

It's very him to be honest. when you read it you'll understand. 8)

He keeps talking about some big project that he'll have coming up every once and a while on his blog at questionsleep.com, I just can't figure for the life of me what the fuck it is.

Never pegged you as a Jhonen fan to be honest.

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:30 am

doombug wrote:It's very him to be honest. when you read it you'll understand. 8)

He keeps talking about some big project that he'll have coming up every once and a while on his blog at questionsleep.com, I just can't figure for the life of me what the fuck it is.

Never pegged you as a Jhonen fan to be honest.

While JTHM is cliche goth today, it was just a twisted, very fun book at the time and there wasn't anything else like it coming out. I got into the series early on with the 2nd or 3rd issue and have followed everything he's done since.

It's not like I'm going to hold it against the guy for his stuff becoming Hot Topic chic. His stuff became the cliche because it's really freaking good. The Roman Dirges and the Jamie Smarts are cool and I like them a lot for what they are, but they totally wish they could be Jhonen.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:22 am

amlah6 wrote:While JTHM is cliche goth today, it was just a twisted, very fun book at the time and there wasn't anything else like it coming out. I got into the series early on with the 2nd or 3rd issue and have followed everything he's done since.

It's not like I'm going to hold it against the guy for his stuff becoming Hot Topic chic. His stuff became the cliche because it's really freaking good. The Roman Dirges and the Jamie Smarts are cool and I like them a lot for what they are, but they totally wish they could be Jhonen.

Jhonen hates that part of the fanbase and tries to distance himself as much as possible which I find pretty damn funny.

Like Master J
Review Grouper

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Twigglet

Postby Like Master J » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 am

What was the alonso/wacker/brevort thing?
You don't have to like me
You don't have to respect me
But you will LISTEN to me.
-----
Always Right

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:48 am

Jubilee wrote:What was the alonso/wacker/brevort thing?

Alonso and Brevort are now Vice Presidents, Wacker is now a Senior Editor.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... nd-wacker/

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 am

doombug wrote:Jhonen hates that part of the fanbase and tries to distance himself as much as possible which I find pretty damn funny.

As well he should. :twisted:

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 am

I'm not going to write a huge review for this book, but I liked it. The $1 price tagged helped me decide not only to purchase this book, but also to give #2 a shot since I'll still be ahead of the curve on average price per comic.

Was it perfect, no, there were some confusing parts, but I am in the mood to re-read the Books of Magic and Joe seems to be a lot like the early issues of that series (the ongoing, not Gaiman's mini).

The art was fantastic, and the "silent" pages told a wonderful story

story - 7
art - 9
score - 8
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:14 am

INVADER ZIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 am

I have been lazy this week. My review is written, but I couldn't be bothered to enter it into the site. Hopefully, I will get off my ass and do that tonight.

Anyhow, score wise...

Story - 5
Art 10
Overall 7.5

An interesting, if somewhat boring and by the numbers start saved by breathtaking art.

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:13 pm

starlord wrote:which is why I keep my distance. ;-)

That's an unfair statement you just made there, my friend. Unfair to you.

For those of you who have not met starlord, let me tell you that he is a handsome man, with or without a mustache. He is well spoken, and has a good sense of humor. If I was gay, he might be my type. I am pleased and honored to call him my friend.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Old Man wrote:That's an unfair statement you just made there, my friend. Unfair to you.

For those of you who have not met starlord, let me tell you that he is a handsome man, with or without a mustache. He is well spoken, and has a good sense of humor. If I was gay, he might be my type. I am pleased and honored to call him my friend.

:oops: You make me blush my friend.

And for future reference, David and I are both looking for sugar daddies. ;-)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm upset you haven't responded to my post in the avatar thread! :(

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand