Advertisement

Review Group Week 207 - ROBOCOP #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:54 am

Heh, my shop actually had this... it looks so retarded but I am totally intrigued... I'll read it when I get home from work today.

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:57 am

I didn't see it in my shop yesterday, but I don't think they had everything out when I went in. I'll check tomorrow or this weekend; going to the ballet tonight. ;-)

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:09 am

john lewis hawk wrote:I did the review... just late: http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... ?p=1605740

I saw it, sorry. I had it updated in the SoD, but missed it in the OP.

Postby ****** » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:14 am

Wasn't sure any of the shops would have this, so I Midtown'd it.

Since Weathermageddon is hitting OKC today I'm taking a half day before the inevitable office closing at Noon to avoid the commute home in an ice storm so I'll check the Norman shops this morning just for something to do.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Robocop 1

Everything you need to know about this book can be summed up in this exchange:

"There's still just one cop car and the lone lawbitch" BRRRRRRRAPPPP "Two Lawbitches, actually"

Story 6
Art 6

Overall 6

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Benderbrau wrote:The quote button is your friend. :lol:

Yeah, but my brain is my fucking enemy.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Kerny wrote:Robocop 1

Everything you need to know about this book can be summed up in this exchange:

"There's still just one cop car and the lone lawbitch" BRRRRRRRAPPPP "Two Lawbitches, actually"

Story 6
Art 6

Overall 6

LOL that was the only thing i enjoyed about this book

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Robocop Review

I'll be honest, this was a pretty awful comic. It did have the nastalgia factor working for it and this very much felt like i was watching an old school movie but damn, this does not hold up well over time. The art was ok, nothing special but decent enough to not detract from the book. The dialogue was about as cheesy as it gets with the whole lawbitches thing as mentioned before. It was both the worst piece of dialogue ever and the best at the same time. It achieved the status of being so bad it was genius. Overall, this was a pretty bad comic, not as bad as Image United but certainly in the same ballpark.

Story 3
Art 5
Overall 4

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:17 pm

amlah6 wrote:I saw it, sorry. I had it updated in the SoD, but missed it in the OP.
Cool.

Postby ****** » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Robocop #1

I was 12 when Robocop was released. Between the violence, the edgy humor and the sex it was pretty much the greatest thing I had ever seen this side of Star Wars. For it's time it was a great movie and I certainly wore out my VHS copy, but that was a long time ago and with the crappy sequels I eventually lost interest. I do still have a bit of nostalgia for that first movie though. If nothing else this comic got me to add the movie to my Netflix queue.

Dynamite's licensed books can be a bit of a risky proposition. Some of them are great (Lone Ranger) but some of them are crap too (Battlestar Galactica), this is just the first issue but it's looks like Robocop is going to fall firmly in the latter category. It's hard to make that jarring type of violence work in a comic and as a result the car chase in this book is just a car chase. Nothing suspenseful, nothing to make itself stand out from a million other car chases you've seen in comics. The basic starting point of the series is pretty basic and uninspiring, but they did at least make the right choice in setting it after the first movie thus avoiding events from the film's lesser sequels. The OCP Food Recycler bit was the only time the comic ever felt like it matched the tone of the film, but 4 panels can't make up for the other 20 pages.

The art is just your basic bland Dynamite licensed comic house style art. It's not bad and the basic structure of it is solid, but like the rest of the comic there's nothing much about it that's memorable.

Story: 5
Art: 5.5
Overall: 5.25

Postby ****** » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Old Man wrote:And I can't believe they charged $3.50 for this.

Would you buy it for a dollar? :smt112

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Why is my name still red?

Postby ****** » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:17 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Why is my name still red?

Because I had to do math to get the aspect ratio right on the Robocop trailer?

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Why is my name still red?

Better your name than your ass.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Old Man wrote:Better your name than your ass.

QFT!

And it was good seeing you yesterday as well. Yep, that was Larry at the end of the table. My best bud for over 20 years now. We've been through a lot together.

Thanks for the email too. Nice to hear whats going on with the gang. I was hoping more of them would have been there yesterday, but ahh well. Hopefully all this crap will be over soon and I'll be able to hang out again. :-)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand