Advertisement

Review Group Week 206 - JOE THE BARBARIAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:I'm upset you haven't responded to my post in the avatar thread! :(

Must have missed it. But if you had kept the old avatar. You would have been number 1 with a bullet.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:16 pm

starlord wrote:Must have missed it. But if you had kept the old avatar. You would have been number 1 with a bullet.

It would have just been changed for me.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:It would have just been changed for me.

well, i officially have no comment. Unofficially, I nearlly tossed off several times to it. :-D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:26 pm

starlord wrote:well, i officially have no comment. Unofficially, I nearlly tossed off several times to it. :-D

I still think I should have gotten an honorable mention though. :p

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Sorry for the lateness but I would've felt like an ass going to the shop and buying an one dollar comic just by itself.

So, on to the review. First off, the best part, the art. Sean Murphy's going to places. The art was detailed, realistic, emotional, and cartoonish and pulling off all of those things is hard. Dave Stewart, the colorist, also needs to be mentioned as guy has done great work before but the colors on this issue are great.

As for the story, interesting premise and has some strong dialogue (which I feel is a weakness of Morrison's) but it doesn't develop enough to satisfy. If this issue was more than a dollar, I would feel ripped off. While I'm definitely not getting the next issue, I'll definitely be checking out the trade even if it's just to stare at Murphy's pretty art.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:54 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Sorry for the lateness but I would've felt like an ass going to the shop and buying an one dollar comic just by itself.

So you went today and bought a $1 comic by itself?
I was perfectly content before I was born.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Old Man wrote:So you went today and bought a $1 comic by itself?
No, I picked up three trades. My local shop which is two miles away, didn't have it so I decided to play it safe and went to the best somewhat local store, which is more than 40 miles away, so I needed an excuse to go besides a dollar comic.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Oh my god, my review is finally live (cause I finally finished rewriting it last night - kind of meta for a Morrison book)...

anyhow:
It’s a sparse and pedestrian effort. Maybe it is a reaction to fanboy outcry over so much of Final Crisis happening between panels and off page. Whatever the reason, Morrison takes his time with this book. Instead of a light and overly decompressed book, we get a deftly dense read. Partially because the kid is such a cliche, but also because there is detail for days. There isn’t a lot of dialogue and the pieces of the puzzle are not highlighted in neon, but somehow the scribe manages to get the kind of characterization that a novelist would achieve in 50 or 60 pages.

Part of this is thanks to Murphy’s incredible artwork. While the words and script may be almost bohemian in their nonsuperfluous nature, the art is decadent in detail. It is easy to imagine this house being inhabited by a member of The Goonies. The atmospheric and at times hypnotic artwork is the real star here. The pencils show off the town’s personality and, more importantly, the house’s character. Even better, where other artists have failed the writer recently, Murphy makes sure that all the information needed to understand what is going on (as much as it is understandable this issue) is in the panel.

read the rest here: http://brokenfrontier.com/reviews/p/det ... arbarian-1

(btw it is a long one)

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 am

Via telegram, Pfffft! wrote:Joe the Barbarian #1

It's risky to anticipate a new Grant Morrison venture these days, but he's been one of my favorite writers for years and I've been a fan of the Vertigo imprint from day one so I've been looking forward to this comic. Does it deliver? Well yes, to the extent it's setting up the pieces quite literally for the story to come.

Some folks have been searching for the meta-type of of concept but I will just say I was struck by the layout of Joe's house and the detail almost like a diorama or dollhouse if you will. Likewise the strangely wooden demeanor of Joe's mother and the fact that his father was in the army also brought certain toy based archetypes to mind. Is Joes' dead dad a veteran of the war in Iraq or is he G.I. Joe? Probably the former, but that's the way the story and art may have thrown some people, especially as it regards Joe's diabetic condition. I thought it was fairly well done and a welcome relief from "Joe you know you havve diabetes and must watch your blood sugar" etc. etc. or similar overly wordy declarations.

As to the toys, someone explain to me why toy Robin or toy Superman weren't helping the injured toy Batman here. I imagin a falling out involving several tiny toy weenises and a lot of jealousy, but that might be the cough syrup talking.

Not bad for a start, I give it an 8.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:21 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Sorry for the lateness but I would've felt like an ass going to the shop and buying an one dollar comic just by itself.

Why would you feel bad about it?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Arion wrote:Why would you feel bad about it?

It's the standing at the counter, counting out the 100+ pennies I'm sure.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:30 pm

PS Even though Western Union garbled my review a wee bit, cheers to Amlah and the SOD for actually processing a review in Morse Code.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:PS Even though Western Union garbled my review a wee bit, cheers to Amlah and the SOD for actually processing a review in Morse Code.

Yeah, morse code isn't real big on punctuation.

I considered using an online converter to create an audio version and posting it as a mp3, but I didn't have time. :(

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:58 pm

amlah6 wrote:Yeah, morse code isn't real big on punctuation.

I considered using an online converter to create an audio version and posting it as a mp3, but I didn't have time. :(

That's what I wanted to do too!

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand