Advertisement

Review Group Week 208 - 4th ANNIVERSARY FREE4ALL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 279 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:53 am

To wall #2 Written from the art of Bendis of Michael of Brian for Olivier Copiel

"It obscures the books of the premium one-hero. Always to pull me in".

This is that I said while I ended to read this cómico. She sees, I the flavor of the different one a, I the flavor of the small things, and therefore excited while I age for the dark kingdom after the private invasion, one of half of the year after, I was deprived. I have given above in Avenging novelties, the darkness of Avenging, the private warriors, Deadpool, etc. that the night pierced also most of myself blackens.

To the unexpected, alone one the handle and reserve the rule of the carousels of panting I age the reading was my Spider-dear Man and my favorite person or my thing of two big ones, the batman. In the end of this book, is it a the other the certificate. It is the rage of Nick that groups again his troops and to the unexpected one I led to good end that I was lacking for I am on to give the of above of the phantom in the edition four.

That it ages some excrement me of the ass! And there the weren' some t images. The approval, to the actual cómico. Badassery abunda. The airs appaiono for I am that played it to the Norman and is the mijado, but oh the cagou that' the sentry of the mold of s that the actua while a pair grew. FINALLY.

The large yellow começ individual for low to the business and to the tears Airs a novelty, literally. The meanwhile, Jarvis experiences to receive in returns the band together another time. The thorn of channel has some novelties warlike and some Avenging. Oh itself and the Thor goes to the relegates some ass. The hell itself.

To joke' the gloves of s I am, breaks the action of some witness. The hook. The things that I am confused alone on… a that the pinches I was the man aged that says Airs on Asgard that is not there for a mistake and for what does of the half that Thor' the paizinho of s is alive? After that, that' s the Ares' the caçoe than Nick says to leave, the right hand? Itself I assume taken of I to the pegarar of the private commerce or something of warrior it.

And it was pleasant to see the page correctly printed some certificate of the last edition and in contrast of the marvel that stops for I am a novelty to put right the mistake. They show almost of the hall. It is easy to understand that this edition after because Bendis has working with the hickman in the private warriors, simply the question is because is the switch that do not go through himself on with this.

Unhappily, my question (these on this book) the aren' t answered in the page as soon as I give to this book that the I continue count: the story - 8 Art - 9 8,5 totals

A good idea is always an idea worth stealing and butchering.

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 am

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #3 Preview
Written by Greg Rucka
Art by Nicola Scott
http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... hp?t=36527

I can't help but think that wouldn't WW and Carol Ferris both have the bodies of 40 year-olds because those are some pretty slutty costumes they're wearing.

Anyways, not a bad set-up and gives readers a some catching up on what's happening in the main series, Blackest Night. Art-wise, probably the weakest I've seen from Scott, a normally good artist.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:38 am

Flash: Rebirth #6 Variant cover
By Ethan Van Sciver

Nicely drawn but the lightning leaving the Flash strikes me as more Wally than Barry. Kinda dull too.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:39 am

Zorro Mantanzas #1
Written by Don McGregor
Art by Mike Mayhew

A lost tale by Don McGregor the comic god of Zorro. With pencils by Mike Mayhew.

This reads like an adapted novel. McGregor is not afraid to be verbose and his prose is as good as any novelist. This story is a tale between a father and son at a crossroads. The father, unbeknowningly, has befriended his son’s enemy. And everything is threatening to fall down around Diego’s ankles.
Machete is cool, a kind of Captain Hook. What is nice about this book is the duality of Zorro and his villain.

There is also a great deal of insight into the hero’s world, from how his cave came to be, to his artistic pursuits. It is interesting to note the comparisons to Batman, who is a noted character influenced by this one. More noteworthy is the parallels to Superman, if not in power set in the nature of Diego’s secret life versus his public life. As such, Machete is a perfect foil and the seeking of Alejandro’s approval is all the more dramatic as a result.

A note about the book, the main book is on hiatus as of this week and this is the perfect way to fill the gap while it is on break. I wish DC and Marvel would note that this is the proper way to use a mini.

Story 8
Art 8
Overall 8

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Red Sonja Wrath of the Gods #1
Written by Luke Lieberman
Art by Walter Geovani

A little back story never hurt anybody and we get that for the Budini and it all seems very interesting, especially when the book that contains the story is known more for Cheesecake then compelling story.

Then there is the lying and deceit and one wonders if it was all real or not. It is an interesting start, but almost a false start, is this an insight into the history of the character or a ploy to get her to do something distasteful?

The questing work here is solid, it recalls Tolkien and Red Sonja speaks a bit too much like Conan, not being that familiar with the red headed warrior, I wonder if that is a mistake or apt characterization.

The art is a mixed bag as well. When everyone is standing around talking, it is all a bit awkward. However, when the action starts it is glorious, just like the title character’s breasts. Details in bars and villages are also spot on as are some monster designs.

An okay read, this book does little to make me feel that this character is not a weird misogynistic version of Conan. Especially when she speaks like a Geico spokesperson and the story robs me of an emotional investment so early on.

Story 5
Art 6
Overall 5.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 355 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:31 pm

amlah6 wrote:Little girls and their delusions. :lol:

I blame Yoni for the group lasting this long, only he could have saved us from the clutches of Punchy's tenure.

Thank you, I did start the trend of the trains running on time and that's all I can take credit for. I also would like to say good on you for keeping things going when Sire thought he could.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Demando pri ordo: Estas hieroglyphs permesis, kaj se jes kiom da vortoj ili kalkulas kiel?

P.S. Saluton, pugo ĉapeloj.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:59 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Thank you, I did start the trend of the trains running on time and that's all I can take credit for. I also would like to say good on you for keeping things going when Sire thought he could.

Thanks. 8)

As soon as we can find someone who can match my obsessive compulsive behavior though I'm outta here. :wink:

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 144 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:59 pm

jesus christ! lee will be on the top of the list by the end of this. :lol:

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:14 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:Demando pri ordo: Estas hieroglyphs permesis, kaj se jes kiom da vortoj ili kalkulas kiel?

P.S. Saluton, pugo ĉapeloj.

Se vi poto fari hieroglyph revuo tio estas preter simpla pellet revuo, gxi will estas permesita.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 817 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Kion pri bildoj de mia koko private mesaĝoj? Kiom da vortoj far tiuj kalkulo por?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Siege #2
Written by Brian Michael Bendis
Art by Olivier Coipel

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Dark Reign and the last 12-18 months of Bendis written Avengers books?

Yeah, I guess I have.

I bought this anyway in spite of hating the first issue. The last page with Cap just kind of left me cringing at what Bendis might do with him. Mostly though, I think Bendis handled it okay in this as long as I don't let myself try to reconcile anything going on in the Marvel Universe with Brubaker's Cap-verse. I'm sure if you make some giant continuity timeline map they reconcile, but fuck it. Bru's Cap is the only Cap that matters and the rest is just for funsies.

Ramble much? Yes, yes I do.

Other than the big Cap makes a speech scene, I'm not really sure what I think about the rest of the book. I really like the character on the receiving end of the big character death, but it's comics so he'll be back so whatever. As a catalyst for making Sentry into a character to be feared though, I think after years of floundering Bendis finally seems to have done something with the character that wasn't in the infinite loop of repeating Sentry stories. Holy shit. That. Was. Awesome. I soooooo want to see Thor utterly destroy Bob now and I guess that means I'm in for reading the next two issues.

Coipel draws the shit out of the big splash pages in this. The book looks great, but I gotta say there were a few instances in the storytelling where I wasn't exactly sure what happened. Whether that was intentional to convey the chaos of war or just a convenient side effect of a couple of misteps on Coipel's part I have no idea. Either way, it's hard to go wrong when there's a giant splash page of blood in the climax of the book.

Story: 8.5
Art: 8
Overall: 8.25

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:41 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Kion pri bildoj de mia koko private mesaĝoj? Kiom da vortoj far tiuj kalkulo por?

Diable, kiu speco de Esperanto vi nigrulaĉoj est uz?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 817 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:Diable, kiu speco de Esperanto vi nigrulaĉoj est uz?

Mi havas LOLtron traduki por mi dum plezuro mi voĉe. Malkiel la Apple iPad, LOLtron povas multitask.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Ultimate Comics X #1
by Jeph Loeb and Art Adams

It's kind of funny how much shit Jeph Loeb gets within this community. If you asked people here what creator they hated more and made them pick between Loeb and Liefeld a fair chunk of them would probably need some time to think about it.

This makes me like Jeph Loeb.

A lot.

Nevermind the fact that his work with Tim Sale is some of the best comic booking of the last 20 years, in general I find that his super-hero work is just plain old fashioned fun. Isn't that kind of the point to all these floppy pamphlets we've grown up reading? Now I'm not saying Loeb comics are always good, I'm just saying they're not worthy of the vitrol that gets thrown his way... except for Ultimatum. That was one giant turd of a book. (Except for the Blob eating people, of course.)

Coming straight out of Ultimatum we have Ultimate Comics X. I read a decent chunk of Ultimate X-Men and I have to say as far as books that need a total relaunch go, it was a pretty good candidate. Some of the biggest names in the industry (Millar, Bendis, Kirkman, BKV) worked on that book and none of them were able to do much beyond making it readable.

As far as wiping the slate clean and starting over with UCX, this seems to do that. No Cyclops or Jean or Beast or Colossus or Ice-Man or any of those characters you probably like and want to read about. Kitty Pryde is here though, so I'm good. Maybe somewhere down the line those done to death X-Men characters can come back in Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men Forever or something.

So we've got Kitty Pryde, right? Why? Well, someone had to tell yet another one of Wolverine's kids who their daddy was. It's kind of a played out story and UCX definitely needs a little Ultimate Hulk to spice it up. This was just your standard introduction issue to a character you don't really care about yet. Maybe a Wolverine fan would get all excited about a younger version of the character, but it didn't do anything for me.

Art Adams is a freaking legend. I hope he gets to draw some cool stuff in this book eventually. A talking heads book like this issue isn't exactly making the most of his talents. Still, what's there looks great.

Story: 6
Art: 8
Overall: 7

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand