Advertisement

Review Group Week 208 - 4th ANNIVERSARY FREE4ALL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:26 am

Jude Terror wrote:Siege had like 5 variant covers.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm sure twiggy could wax rhapsodic for about 200 words per cover! :lol:

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 am

Rooster Illusion wrote:Were there 7 of the "mature and adult" books you prefer??

Well quite obviously yes. Did you not just see me say I had 7 books to review :?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 am

thefourthman wrote:I don't know who this Rooster person is, but I thought I should let it be known that I reported that avatar, Sarah Palin and I are not amused.

You think that guy is a spaz? I thought he was just trying to look sexy.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:32 am

Jude Terror wrote:How did he get that picture of you in the diaper anyway?

Files on everyone, Jude.

Hard copy ones, not those e-kinda ones.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:34 am

Jubilee wrote:Well quite obviously yes. Did you not just see me say I had 7 books to review :?

Sorry. I forgot about Sonic the Hedgehog & Female Force: JK Rowling.

My bad.

Postby ****** » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 am

Rooster Illusion wrote:Sorry. I forgot about Sonic the Hedgehog & Female Force: JK Rowling.

My bad.

I wish that hadn't been a chase variant, I would have totally been down for a Female Force book this week obviously. :oops:

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 am

Rooster Illusion wrote:Sorry. I forgot about Sonic the Hedgehog & Female Force: JK Rowling.

My bad.

Saying I like something mature, than saying I read immature books.

Comedy genius!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:49 am

Jubilee wrote:Saying I like something mature, than saying I read immature books.

Comedy genius!

Bendis wrote a Sonic comic once, but he and Knuckles and the rest just sat around eating Chinese take-out and asking each other if they were on a date.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:10 am

Dingo #3

This book just hasn't really connected with me at this point. It should be an easy favorite, a guy with a giant evil dog and a bitch of an ex, what's not to like? Well, 3 issues out of 4 in the can and I don't really understand what's going on except something about Dingo's brother's soul in a box and some ten foot-tall Hellraiser-looking bitch who wants to buy it from his ex and her small army of dudes with weird-looking shades that look like the swear boxes in All Star Batman & Robin.

The first three issues have me feeling like I'm missing something, or that there is information left out that would make this a more coherent read. Color me surprised to find out this is actually a graphic adaptation of a novel I've not heard of. Suddenly, this books weaknesses make more sense, why it seems the characters in the comic book should be somehow more fleshed out or understandable than they are to me. I'm sure Dingo can't rate the kind of word-for-word adaptation BOOM! is doing with DADOES, but it would probably be a better read if they had.

The last page tease at the end of #3 will probably bring me back for the final issue, I just hope it doesn't turn out the way I predict it will, that the main character's brother's soul isn't in the box at all, but rather...

Not one of BOOM!'s stronger offerings, I'm afraid, but not without it's merits.

Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Siege #2

Finally someone tells Ares he's wrong about everything and he actually listens for once. The ugliest depiction of Steve Rogers since Liefeld makes the least inspiring speech I've ever heard. The Sentry sort of rips Ares in half I think, much of the art is not clear to me in this issue. Thor fries Daken with a lightning bolt, in what is one of the few parts of the book I really enjoyed. I wish he'd taken a hammer to the remains, then hit it with a couple more bolts. The final page of the story is used to show the same image of Iron Norman with Cap's shield reflected in his armor in such a way as to suggest Norman should probably duck since his armor's shields were just depleted. It may be meant to be dramatic but it strikes me as one of the most boring pages I've ever seen until I turn the page and find more of that "Fury Protocol" text crap. I buy these things for the synthesis of art and story, not for what reads like watching the subtitles for a bad movie with the picture turned off. Then of course, the obligatory "Duh, sorry!" page printing the missing text from issue #1--since Tom Brevoort has been promoted perhaps this book will actually get an editor to keep such an obvious gaffe from being repeated anytime soon. It underscores the worthlessness of such text pages, that even the editors don't bother reading them.

Better than issue #1 of Siege, but I'm still not very intrigued. Glad to see Ares killed, hope he stays dead to prove what mature comics these are. After hearing so much about Coipel, I was underwhelmed by the art in #2. Some of the figures look great, so why does Steve look like shit? Also, most of the backgrounds lack any detail whatsoever. Even in an issue which is mostly action it makes the pages look drab. I usually like Laura Martin's colors, but they don't help out here I'm afraid.

Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

The Boys #39

The early solicits for this series did not interest me, I was introduced to the book somewhere around what would become the 4th trade arc, and eagerly bought up the early floppies or trades. Some infatuations are brief, alas, somewhere during the run published concurrently with Herogasm I lost interest almost as quickly as the book grew on me initially. I realized I didn't like any of the characters, not the so-called Supes, nor the Vought crew of course, not even Butcher's crew themselves. I didn't (and still don't) really understand their long-range goals or why they're much better than their more colorfully-garbed adversaries. I don't even really like Hughie or his lady-love Annie, or Starpussy or whatever her name is.

So it was easy to drop and I didn't miss it much. I skimmed through the Mother's Milk origin story and just read the solicits for the last few issues. There haven't been any threads about this book for a while, and I didn't care enough to start one asking for spoilers either. A lot of other posters claimed they were beginning to lose interest in The Boys too last time I started a thread about it. Maybe the group of origin stories around the individual crew members changed their minds, maybe not. But for the review group dealy I picked up this issue to see where things stand.

My reaction is mixed. This isn't so far removed from the stuff in Herogasm, between Mother's Milk nursing on a prostitute's teat (ew) and Hughie and his girlfriend exploring The Cock-ring Warehouse. I guess this is supposed to show Annie is losing her innocence or something and becoming more wicked. Hughie can't enjoy watching a good dp, so they go out to eat some meat instead.

The Vought stuff is as boring and confusing as ever, I can't tell those guys apart--but now there's a new female one banging her head against the Glass Ceiling. I guess I'm just a limited boy. Frenchie says some stupid shit about The Female (the one in The Boys), and detached from any real in-story logic, Butcher finally twigs to Hughie and Annie's relationship.

Not great, not terrible, but still off my pull-list for now. Give me the simple carnality of The Pro over this. BUT, +1 review point for Frenchie's love of the old 2000AD books--although eBay doesn't deserve the free plug unless it's one of those butt-plugs Hughie and Annie were looking at.

Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:11 am

Criminal: The Sinners #4

There's never been a bad issue of Criminal yet--but there have been a few more or less forgettable singles. #4 isn't one of those, it's a great issue that moves the plot along nicely, informs us about a few of the players who've been in the background, and throws Tracy Lawless out of the proverbial frying pan and into the fire--and then out of the fire and into, well, a bigger fire. The art looks fantastic, and the coloring is top notch.

One of the best things about books like Criminal (or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) is the back-matter. It's definitely what keeps me from switching to trades for books that really deliver some incidentally interesting articles instead of reprinting earlier covers or wasting the page like a lot of the transcriptions Marvel has become fond of inserting in their rears (at least that is my recommendation for them).

This week's Criminal back-matter recommended Mr Majestyk, a 1975 film written by the crime fic master, Elmore Leonard. I remember staying up late as a kid after seeing the title in the TV guide--hoping that perhaps they had just misspelled "Mr. Mxyzptlk, of course. Instead, Vietnam vet turned watermelon-farmer Charles Bronson takes matters into his own hands after being jailed on a bogus assault charge and tries to trade a mobster back to the cops so he can just get back in time to harvest his goddamn melons. It's a cool movie, you should check it out. The mid-'70s always looks good on film.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Sweet Tooth #4

After last issue's twist everyone saw coming (he was luring him with candy bars in issue #1 after all), we finally get to meet a few more kids like Gus and also learn a bit of Jeppard's back-story. Turns out he was a brawlin' washed-up hockey player who lost his demure little wifey to The Plague. And somehow, his whole scheme to catch Gus and transport him miles and miles to the militia camp where he's now prisoner was about getting his wife's skeleton back. Honestly though, it's pretty impossible for me to feel sorry for a guy who traded a perfectly good deer-child just to get back a bag of bones.

I've noticed a lot of mustaches in Lemire's incidental characters--like the hockey ref and the angry fan both do. The cover is striking, it took me a second to realize the antlers on Jeppard are twin rifles. Another thing that I found confusing was Jeppard's shirt-huffing scene. The interior art is more diverse in terms of the various scenes and color palettes used, which is one of my few criticisms of a couple of early issues--they could be a bit drab by comparison.

I just got my BOC last week, so this was like getting a double dose of Sweet Tooth for me, and I'll look forward to reading the next issue when it comes out too. Cheers to Vertigo for putting books like Sweet Tooth out there while the folks at DC proper plague readers with books like Magog or The Great Ten inexplicably that no one asked for.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Nova #34

Every so often I fish a few of Marvel's cosmic line out of the cheap bin and give 'em a read. A couple weeks back I bought a few, some War of Kings issues including the ones with the fight between Darkhawk and the other raptors. And although I didn't think I could add them to my monthly pull-list, I did enjoy them enough to buy the latest Nova book this week. The appearance of The Sphinx clinched it, I remember him from the old days.

This is some old school corn here, too--with lines like "ARRGGH! He tears away my stone!" or well, basically any line in this issue really. The conceit of the story is a blast from the past as well, with two cosmic characters (who are actually the same person) each choosing their own baffling line-ups from all of time and space to battle each other to settle something-or-other or get the other's marbles--I don't know. Black Bolt gets killed by The Basilisk?! I call bullshit on that. I also call bs on Man-Wolf's gold-colored sash or band on his torso which constantly switches from side to side. Details, people, details! That sash is all over the place.

All in all this seemed like a very random story, from the odd mix of adversaries and bizarre milieus they battle in--and a really odd way to kill of Black Bolt, even temporarily--but it's all set-up to put Old Sphinx in possession of two Ka stones at once so that he has the unlimited power to something-something-rewrite-something.

I read Nova as a kid, and this is so retro it should be printed on newsprint. And if it were still a quarter or so, I'd probably read this book monthly just for the fun of it. But once again Marvel's cosmic line proves to be an enjoyable, but not compelling, read.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 am

Perhaps this would be a good time to remind reviewers that in order to move up the list, the review must be 208 words or more. And that only reviews of current books count toward moving up the review list.

Full list of rules on page 1.
Last edited by Old Man on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand