Advertisement

Review Group Week 208 - 4th ANNIVERSARY FREE4ALL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:15 am

Old Man wrote:Perhaps this would be a good time to remind reviewers that in order to move up the list, the review must be 208 words or more. And that only reviews of current books count.

Full list of rules on page 1.

besides rooster's typo on Dingo #3, has anyone with a serious review broken those rules yet?

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:22 am

thefourthman wrote:besides rooster's typo on Dingo #3, has anyone with a serious review broken those rules yet?

Dammit! That's what I pay Tom Brevoort's dog to take care of!

Bad dog! :x

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:39 am

The Invincible Iron Man #23
Written by Matt Fraction
Art by Salvador Larroca

First the bad.

One, please for the love of god; get D’Armata off this fucking book. He makes Larroca’s art look like shit. Newuniversal was gorgeous, this book not so much. Dammit bad colorists suck. Why couldn’t DC take this guy with Finch, aren’t they a package deal?

Second, how the hell do this storyline and the events in Siege make sense? The problem with a shared universe is the details. If you are going to reflect storylines, editors better be sure shit fits. After this issue, why would Maria defend him still? Also, if Osborne is taking down Asgard outside of this bunker, then why the hell isn’t there pandemonium in the streets?

On to the rest, cause this is a decent book. First of all, concluded next issue? Awesome! Fraction not writing sprawlingly long decompressed stories is a great idea.

Normally, I’m not a fan of the talking head touchy feely Doc Sampson sitting a superhero on the couch stuff, but when it ends with a giant Iron Dinosaur wanting to eat Tony Stark... all is good.

Then there is the little shard revelation of Maria and Pepper. Redeem Tony my ass. He’s still a dick and that’s the way I like him. Get him to drinking again and we will have something to talk about.

[spoiler]And OH SHIT RHODEY!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/spoiler]

Story 8
Art 6
Overall 7

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:47 am

thefourthman wrote:Second, how the hell do this storyline and the events in Siege make sense?

Like I said in my Siege review, anymore you pretty much just have to pick your continuity and ignore everything else or every comic Marvel is publishing is a total mess. In some books Cap's running around in costume, in other books he isn't. Fuck everybody else, Bru's Cap is the only Cap that matters. Same with Iron Man, everybody but Fraction can go eat a dick.

Bendis might have his fantasy land continuity with people going all explody, but for me it doesn't effect any of the other books.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 am

amlah6 wrote:Like I said in my Siege review, anymore you pretty much just have to pick your continuity and ignore everything else or every comic Marvel is publishing is a total mess. In some books Cap's running around in costume, in other books he isn't. Fuck everybody else, Bru's Cap is the only Cap that matters. Same with Iron Man, everybody but Fraction can go eat a dick.

Bendis might have his fantasy land continuity with people going all explody, but for me it doesn't effect any of the other books.

But that's the problem, either is continuity or there isn't. I think that is what impressed me about Siege #2 the most was that text thing in the back made it apparent why Bendis worked on Secret Warriors with Hickman... he had to line things up properly. Why spend that time doing that there and ignore other books? Maybe SW needs the boost cause it is new, but it seems weird to basically say fuck you to Bru and Fraction and ignore what they are doing. It's weird and odd. I don't like it.

Either play the continuity game or don't.

Postby ****** » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:11 am

thefourthman wrote:But that's the problem, either is continuity or there isn't.

For you maybe. I'm just going to pick and chose as I please. :P

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 am

amlah6 wrote:For you maybe. I'm just going to pick and chose as I please. :P

I'm not saying that either solution is correct, all I am saying is that if you are gonna have these big company wide crossovers that are gonna be reflected in the books in some simulation of real time, you should make sure that the facts match up. I am cool with things appearing slightly different to different viewers, but I'm not even sure that Iron Man is happening in OK, and that's just fucking stupid. I blame Waid, he's the fucker that wrote Marvels and retconned all that shit to work together in the first place.

Postby ****** » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:26 am

thefourthman wrote:I'm not saying that either solution is correct, all I am saying is that if you are gonna have these big company wide crossovers that are gonna be reflected in the books in some simulation of real time, you should make sure that the facts match up. I am cool with things appearing slightly different to different viewers, but I'm not even sure that Iron Man is happening in OK, and that's just fucking stupid. I blame Waid, he's the fucker that wrote Marvels and retconned all that shit to work together in the first place.

Nerd fail.

Kurt Busiek wrote Marvels.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 am

amlah6 wrote:Nerd fail.

Kurt Busiek wrote Marvels.

whoever, is there a difference? They are both overly concerned with continuity and write boring comics as a result.

Postby ****** » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 am

thefourthman wrote:whoever, is there a difference? They are both overly concerned with continuity and write boring comics as a result.

:smt011

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 95 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 am

amlah6 wrote:Like I said in my Siege review, anymore you pretty much just have to pick your continuity and ignore everything else or every comic Marvel is publishing is a total mess. In some books Cap's running around in costume, in other books he isn't. Fuck everybody else, Bru's Cap is the only Cap that matters. Same with Iron Man, everybody but Fraction can go eat a dick.

Siege #1 had Tony recuperating in bed, so it seems reasonable to think that IIM is taking place before Siege #1 in this arc.

Continuity generally isn't too hard to put together, although sometimes you have to wait a month or two to completely nail it down. JSA All-Stars is a good example of that. Damage is currently alive in that book, but dead in Blackest Night. I imagine we'll have to wait until the end of BN to determine if JSA A-S is taking place before BN, or if Damage comes back to life by the end of BN.

The only really major continuity goof I recall from recent memory was Bendis' mixup near the beginning of his Mighty Avengers run.

Postby ****** » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:53 am

MrBlack wrote:Siege #1 had Tony recuperating in bed, so it seems reasonable to think that IIM is taking place before Siege #1 in this arc.

Continuity generally isn't too hard to put together, although sometimes you have to wait a month or two to completely nail it down. JSA All-Stars is a good example of that. Damage is currently alive in that book, but dead in Blackest Night. I imagine we'll have to wait until the end of BN to determine if JSA A-S is taking place before BN, or if Damage comes back to life by the end of BN.

The only really major continuity goof I recall from recent memory was Bendis' mixup near the beginning of his Mighty Avengers run.

Tell it to 4thy, he's the one having the "how does this shit fit together" freak out.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:56 am

I might review Criminal and Scalped, if I have time.

Unfortunately, I have to create a multiple choice exam this weekend. Two versions actually. Damn tedious and difficult trying to come up with plausible false answers.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:50 pm

The Question #37
Written by Dennis O'Neil & Greg Rucka
Art by Dennis O'Neil, Bill Sienkiewicz & John Stanisci

As a one shot, this issue fails in just about every regard.

It also fails as issue 37 of O’Neil’s fantastic and definitive take on the Question.

As a conclusion to some things that were brought up in 52, it works.

As a tie-in to Blackest Night, it is somewhat muddled.

The Question is a character that I dearly love. For those of you that have participated in the group for a number of years, my first anniversary thread so me cover in lengthy detail Vic’s first Solo comic. SO it is fitting that on my third of these crazy threads, I would cover another book featuring one of my favorite characters.

Renee as the Question has been a mixed bag, I loved the 52 story but the Crime Bible stuff bored me. The current story in Detective has never really felt like it has gotten its legs off the ground. This starts off all cylinders firing… well once Shiva shows up any how.

By the way, how awesome is the team up of Cowan & Sienkiewicz? The other guy who inks the last few pages blows Punchy’s cock, but C&S rock the shit out of this comic. The fight between Shiva and Renee is the closest I have seen to an American Comic looking like what Amlah and I are always raving about Mr. Inoue. The book could have just been this fight, should have been really, cause it was awesome.

As to the story, it is hella muddled, Rucka and O’Neil probably should have done another rewrite because the ideas just clash for a bit. However, I love the bit when Sage expresses his disappointment in Renee’s tenure in his mask. For readers unfamiliar with the characters, this is going to seem a mess, mostly because it is, but because names are changing back and forth and roles are not really explained until towards the end.

I liked this book and if you are big fan of The Question, you will too. Everyone else should probably stay away.

Story 6
Art 8
Overall 7

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:03 pm

I thought someone else reviewed The Question in here, I can't find it, link me dammit, link me!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand