Sunday, December 16, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Blacklisted since 2012."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 208 - 4th ANNIVERSARY FREE4ALL

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Kerny wrote:I was away for the whole weekend

Let's do Choker next week

I've PM'd fourthman to check to see if this is on his invoice for the week. Diamond's site is down and while it's on Midtown and MyComicShop.com for next week, Image.com says it's not shipping for a couple of weeks. If it's not on fourthman's invoice you might need to change it just to be safe.

Assuming it's on 4thy's invoice we'll call it official for now...

[center]Image
Choker #1
as selected by Kerny[/center]story BEN McCOOL
art & cover BEN TEMPLESMITH

ISSUE ONE: PAIN
Industry superstar BEN TEMPLESMITH teams up with writer BEN McCOOL for this deliciously skewed tale of hardboiled noir. Johnny “Choker” Jackson, once one of Shotgun City’s most promising police officers, is a bitter private detective with a terrible case of Alien Hand Syndrome. But he’s unexpectedly been offered a job back on the force: provided he can nail a twisted drug dealer selling a very exclusive product. $3.99

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:00 pm

I've got Scalped, Street Fighter and Berserker--the HCS sold out of Gold Digger. I could check the MTGCS tomorrow, I suppose.

:x It's a good thing I can write this stuff off!

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:I've got Scalped, Street Fighter and Berserker--the HCS sold out of Gold Digger. I could check the MTGCS tomorrow, I suppose.

:x It's a good thing I can write this stuff off!

Awesome!

So it looks like we're going to do everything but Gold Digger? That's pretty amazing.

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:55 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Wut? Savage Dragon had half of his own brain eaten, losing his memories? This shit is crazy. I like it. Apparently there is a Savage Dragon character called Daredevil who dresses like Deathstroke. Nice.

He's a golden age character that recently entered the public domain. Alex Ross is using him in Project: Superpowers as well, but he's calling him Death Defying Devil or something.

Dragon is always fun whenever I read it, Larsen just does whatever the hell he wants so it's usually a bit nuts.

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Existence 3.0 #2
published by Shadowline/Image Comics

Written by Nick Spencer
Art by Ron Salas

So when you're jumping into a comic with no prior knowledge of the previous issues or even any of the creator's previous work there needs to be a few elements at hand that bring you in and make you want to read more. Characterization, proof of concept, visually appealing art, you know just very basic stuff. I couldn't find any of that here.

Not having read the previous mini or the first issue of this series, I knew going into this that there was going to be some catching up to do on my part but damn. After reading this, I really don't have any idea what Existence is about. There's some technology based stuff, but it's never really made clear what anything has to do with anything. The character dialogue is horribly wooden and the pop culture references sprinkled in aren't nearly as clever as they are distracting.

The art is lacking in any real detail and the characters all kind of look the same. The coloring does a good job of differentiating the elements on the page, but is too bright for the darker tone of the book.

Story: 3
Art: 2
Overall: 2.5

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Agh! My eyeballs! :smt095

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:Agh! My eyeballs! :smt095

Berserker or Street Fighter?

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:29 pm

amlah6 wrote:Berserker or Street Fighter?

Street Fighter. No offense meant to "Chamba", it's just going to take some adjustment.

I'm going to try reading it with 3D glasses from Superman Beyond.

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Cartoon Network Action Pack! #46
published by DC Comics

I don't know that I've ever read a licensed comic where I wasn't already familiar with the property being adapted.

I guess Ben 10 Alien Force is supposed to be a pretty big deal, right? There are two Ben 10 stories in this issue and they both read like cartoons so I'm assuming they match the tone of the cartoon. Regardless, they're successful at being simple and entertaining stories. If you're 4 or 5 years old and love Ben 10, this is probably the comic for you.

There was also a Samurai Jack story in this. I've also never seen any Samurai Jack so maybe this was just an emulation of the storytelling technique used on the cartoon, but this was a discombobulated mess. The flow was very inconsistent and was a struggle to get through.

The art by Min S. Ku in the Ben 10 stories was consistent. The art by Philip Moy in the Samurai Jack story started out okay, but started to feel more rough and unfinished after a couple of pages.

Story: 7 (8 for Ben 10, 5 for Samurai Jack)
Art: 6 (8 for Ben 10, 2 for Samurai Jack)
Overall: 6.5

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Jude Terror wrote:blah blah punchy blah blah eyes of a child blah blah

/toolazytomakerealjoke'd

[spoiler][youtube=425,344,pI5kV69UxKg][/youtube][/spoiler]

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Jude Terror wrote:blah blah punchy blah blah eyes of a child blah blah

/toolazytomakerealjoke'd

The easy joke would be something about how for $2.50 this was better than any $4 issue of Dark Avengers.

Mr_Batman

Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:01 pm

It's hard for me to write decent 208 word reviews.

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Angel: A Hole in the World #3
published by IDW

Script by Scott Tipton
Art by Elena Casagrande

This was easily the best Angel comic I've read from IDW. That would mean a whole hell of a lot more if it wasn't an adaptation of a television episode.

A Hole in the World is adapting Season 5 episodes "A Hole in the World" and "Shells". Longtime Angel fans will recognize these as the episodes where Fred dies and her body becomes the host for the demon Illyria. It was a major event in the series and if you're going to be adapting episodes from the series I suppose it's importance does warrant the treatment.

In terms of script, this is a straightforward adaptation and condensing of the screenplay. The story flows naturally and the character voices are true.

The art isn't as stiff as it could be since it appears that this is 100% photo referenced. Angel comics have kind of gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to comic art, this at least rises above most of it's IDW contemporaries.

While this is good for what it is, it's only real appeal is to the die-hard Angel fans. While I count myself among that group, I would much rather watch the actual episode than read an adaptation of it in comic form. The comics should focus on untold or new stories, not just repeating the old ones.

Story: 9
Art: 7
Overall: 8

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:It's hard for me to write decent 208 word reviews.

Just do your best. I'm not going to be a word count nazi.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 pm

amlah6 wrote:Just do your best. I'm not going to be a word count nazi.

leave a comment with facebook