Thursday, June 21, 2018 • Evening Edition • "The comic book industry's inflamed butthole."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 210 - SUPERGIRL #50

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Postby ****** » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:44 am

thefourthman wrote:So that catches me up to last week with no missed reviews since I joined up, right SOD?

Si, señor.

Postby ****** » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:46 am

Punchy wrote:I don't want to review X-Men Forever, it's no fun doing negative reviews.

So you've gotten your hands on a copy and read it already then? Having not yet read the issue myself, I don't know what the tone of my review will be.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:52 am

amlah6 wrote:Si, señor.

awesomesauce.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Punchy wrote:Same here, and I liked it.

Maybe this wasn't very new reader friendly, but I thought it was fairly accessible, with little to no connection to the big Superman meta-arc.

The only thing I had to research a little was all the "Major Lane" and Superwoman stuff, I didn't have any idea who that was in the beginning at first. For a second when she was in the pit after being regenerated I assumed it was Kara.

I have been a Supergirl reader in the past, but not lately by any measure. I did read the Loeb issues where she was reintroduced (again) but her history of reboots is getting confusing to me. I'm kind of curious where they are going with the Braniac 5 thing coming up, but it's kind of creepy at this point to consider.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Hey thefourthman, what do you think I can get for a copy of Uncanny #1 these days?

spidertour02

rubber spoon

Postby spidertour02 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Why am I on the members list? Last week was a guest spot. :P

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 pm

spidertour02 wrote:Why am I on the members list? Last week was a guest spot. :P

Amlah6 always does that, in case we might have a new member.

Old Man's been needing a new member for a while now.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Did anyone else notice Jinxworld review group also chose this <A HREF="http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=188785">book</A>
this week?

Not very many reviewers, I guess.

So the main story was 40 pages, weak as it was the 6 page backup counts as new so total of 46 pages of new material for $5.

I can't remember, but I don't think GSOML had nearly that many pages discounting the covers. Is that right? I think it was 30 or 32 pages in GSOML?

Let's have a long, in depth, volatile discussion about pricing for a change.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:55 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Did anyone else notice Jinxworld review group also chose this <A HREF="http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=188785">book</A>
this week?

Not very many reviewers, I guess.

So the main story was 40 pages, weak as it was the 6 page backup counts as new so total of 46 pages of new material for $5.

I can't remember, but I don't think GSOML had nearly that many pages discounting the covers. Is that right? I think it was 30 or 32 pages in GSOML?

Let's have a long, in depth, volatile discussion about pricing for a change.

NO

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:14 am

Punchy wrote:NO

Stuff a tea cozy in it or we'll sic a talking badger on you.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:20 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Stuff a tea cozy in it or we'll sic a talking badger on you.

NO

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:30 am

amlah6 wrote:So you've gotten your hands on a copy and read it already then? Having not yet read the issue myself, I don't know what the tone of my review will be.

Come on, it's going to be bad, X-Men Forever is barely even a comic.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:38 am

Punchy wrote:Come on, it's going to be bad, X-Men Forever is barely even a comic.

I read the preview last night, but it's blocked from memory for some reason.

Must've been too good for me to handle.

Postby ****** » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Supergirl #50

Queen by Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle
So let me get this straight. You're going to have a big anniversary issue for Supergirl #50 and you're going to make it really long and you're going to charge $5 for it and you're going to team Supergirl up with... GANGBUSTER?! For fucking serious? Gangbuster? Wowzers.

Candidates for all-time lamest team-ups aside, this was some boring comics. It had exposition out the hoohah and a plot that could make even the most strung out speed freak drowsy. The Lane stuff, the bug stuff, the Lang stuff, none of it even remotely peaked my interest as a new reader.

It's really a shame that the story was such a snoozefest, because Jamal Igle is really starting to come into his own. The last time I read a comic with Igle's art his pages felt cramped and constricted, but his pages have really opened up and become quite dynamic. Sibal and Ruffino have clearly helped take Igle's art to a new level.

Story: 3
Art: 8

A Hero's Journey by Jake Black, Helen Slater and Cliff Chiang
Holy pointless stories, Supergirl! What was that even supposed to be?! Is Helen Slater a draw to someone? When people think of Supergirl do they really think of a failed movie from over 25 years ago? Why are Cliff Chiang's considerable talents being wasted on this crap? Why am I still typing?

Story: 1
Art: 9

Overall: 5

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:22 am

amlah6 wrote:Is Helen Slater a draw to someone?

I dunno, wasn't Porcelain or someone looking to go cougar-hunting?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

leave a comment with facebook