Advertisement

Review Group Week 210 - SUPERGIRL #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:47 am

Supergirl #50 - 'Queen' and 'A Hero's Journey' - Gates, Igle, Sibal, McKenna, Slater, Black and Chiang

Story - If you compare the cover to Supergirl's 50th issue extravaganza to the insides, you can really see how far the character and comic have come. The cover shows Kara Zor-El as she was when first re-introduced, a stick-thin Michael Turner, Loeb at his most inept, vacuous character, enough to turn anyone away. But the book itself is a different story.

Sterling Gates has proven himself to be more than just Geoff Johns' mate, and has managed, in the space of under 20 issues, to turn Supergirl into perhaps the best book in the Superman family. Kara is now an engaging, well-realised teenage character, distinct from Superman, and I believe this book stands up to Ultimate Spider-Man, the teen superhero epic of our times. It's just good superhero comics. This issue wraps up the running Lana Lang/Illness plotline, as Lana once again becomes Insect Queen, with Gates picking up some loose threads from Kurt Busiek's run on Superman. Of course, we all know deep down that Lana Lang will never die, but it's given a bit of a fresh spin by having it be Supergirl, rather than Superman having to save her. Lana's role in the Superman books has been diminished since Clark chose Lois, so it's good to see her have something to do. I also enjoyed Gates' use of Gangbuster and Doctor Light, Gangbuster played a big part in Trinity, and then just disappeared, so it's good to have him back, and to have the world of Supergirl fleshed out even more.

The end of the issue really gets to the heart of the Supergirl character, ever since the arrival of New Krypton, Kara has really been torn between 2 worlds, even moreso than her cousin, and now it seems that she may be turning her back on humanity, which can't be a good thing, especially with the big old war coming up. Speaking of the War, this issue is surprisingly New Krypton light, it pretty much stands on it's own, apart from the Superwoman storyline. She's back from the dead, and actually has Kryptonian dna now. While I wasn't the biggest fan of what Lucy Lane was retconned into (wasn't she a sensitive blind girl? married to uber-liberal Ron Troupe? How is she now incredibly army-obsessed? What happened to their son? Was he Superboy-punched?) but she makes a good foil for Supergirl and also Lois Lane. Plus the fact that she's now Kryptonian will cause some problems for General Lane.

Overall, this is a very strong issue of Supergirl, Gates really has improved the character, and if you've stayed away because of Loeb, or because you still love Linda Danvers, then you're missing out. If this issue was too expensive, maybe pick up #51, where Kara will fight her kind of/sort of cousin, Superboy.

This issue, being a big anniversary, has a special back-up, and it's written by Helen Slater, who played Supergirl in the movie. It's nothing special, a recap of Kara's history, but I did like the Goth/Emo chick admitting her like for Supergirl, it was a nice touch. This character shouldn't be for pervy men, but for young women to look up to.

Art - I've said that Supergirl is probably the best comic in the Superman family, and I think some of that is down to Jamal Igle, who is in my eyes one of the best old-school style superhero artists working today. His work is exemplary, it's not overly flashy, but it fits the book well. His facial expressions are great, and his take on Supergirl is not too cheesecakey, whilst still being attractive.

The art in the back-up comes from Cliff Chiang, who is just awesome, do more art Cliff Chiang! I command it!

Best Line - 'And maybe I don't want to be human'

8/10

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:48 am

I don't want to review X-Men Forever, it's no fun doing negative reviews.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:04 am

doombug wrote:I think I read a different issue then some of you with these reviews.

But I've been a regular reader since sterling jumped on. :?

I don't know I read for the review group this week and I could have sworn it was a really bad avengers comic, so then I read for the group again and I could have sworn it was an awesome Jonah Hex comic. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:05 am

doombug wrote:I think I read a different issue then some of you with these reviews.

But I've been a regular reader since sterling jumped on. :?

Same here, and I liked it.

Maybe this wasn't very new reader friendly, but I thought it was fairly accessible, with little to no connection to the big Superman meta-arc.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:44 am

thefourthman wrote:So that catches me up to last week with no missed reviews since I joined up, right SOD?

Si, señor.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:46 am

Punchy wrote:I don't want to review X-Men Forever, it's no fun doing negative reviews.

So you've gotten your hands on a copy and read it already then? Having not yet read the issue myself, I don't know what the tone of my review will be.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:52 am

amlah6 wrote:Si, señor.

awesomesauce.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Punchy wrote:Same here, and I liked it.

Maybe this wasn't very new reader friendly, but I thought it was fairly accessible, with little to no connection to the big Superman meta-arc.

The only thing I had to research a little was all the "Major Lane" and Superwoman stuff, I didn't have any idea who that was in the beginning at first. For a second when she was in the pit after being regenerated I assumed it was Kara.

I have been a Supergirl reader in the past, but not lately by any measure. I did read the Loeb issues where she was reintroduced (again) but her history of reboots is getting confusing to me. I'm kind of curious where they are going with the Braniac 5 thing coming up, but it's kind of creepy at this point to consider.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Hey thefourthman, what do you think I can get for a copy of Uncanny #1 these days?

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Engineering The Future

Postby spidertour02 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Why am I on the members list? Last week was a guest spot. :P

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 pm

spidertour02 wrote:Why am I on the members list? Last week was a guest spot. :P

Amlah6 always does that, in case we might have a new member.

Old Man's been needing a new member for a while now.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Did anyone else notice Jinxworld review group also chose this <A HREF="http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=188785">book</A>
this week?

Not very many reviewers, I guess.

So the main story was 40 pages, weak as it was the 6 page backup counts as new so total of 46 pages of new material for $5.

I can't remember, but I don't think GSOML had nearly that many pages discounting the covers. Is that right? I think it was 30 or 32 pages in GSOML?

Let's have a long, in depth, volatile discussion about pricing for a change.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:55 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Did anyone else notice Jinxworld review group also chose this <A HREF="http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=188785">book</A>
this week?

Not very many reviewers, I guess.

So the main story was 40 pages, weak as it was the 6 page backup counts as new so total of 46 pages of new material for $5.

I can't remember, but I don't think GSOML had nearly that many pages discounting the covers. Is that right? I think it was 30 or 32 pages in GSOML?

Let's have a long, in depth, volatile discussion about pricing for a change.

NO

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:14 am

Punchy wrote:NO

Stuff a tea cozy in it or we'll sic a talking badger on you.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:20 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Stuff a tea cozy in it or we'll sic a talking badger on you.

NO

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand