Advertisement

Review Group Week 210 - SUPERGIRL #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:I have no excuse this week. I'm tired of giving them

"I have a strong feeling that X-Men: Forever will suck. Therefore, I refuse to review it."

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:15 pm

This'll be a great week, no one but Jude reviews his pick and X-Men Forever will forever have the highest score in the SOD.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:This'll be a great week, no one but Jude reviews his pick and X-Men Forever will forever have the highest score in the SOD.

People will read it, but I doubt that they'll HATE it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:19 pm

GLX wrote:People will read it, but I doubt that they'll HATE it.

So review it and hate it then. Fill that niche.

Or read it in the shop and then write a review you could add to wine and kill Socrates with.

BE the hate.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:So review it and hate it then. Fill that niche.

Or read it in the shop and then write a review you could add to wine and kill Socrates with.

BE the hate.

Eh. As I mentioned earlier, I thought the first trade was okay, but I'm in no hurry to read more X-Men: Forever.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:18 pm

Supergirl #50

So this was a fun read. Sterling Gates takes a character that only Mark Waid has every made interesting. (He was a highlight of Trinity) and instead of adding new levels to him he makes him a one note boring character who seems to only be in the story so readers go "Hey remember him?" His role could have easily be filled by any of the characters current in Metropolis. But I digress, I honestly don't think this is completely new reader friendly.

Supergirl #50 pays off on a plotline that has been building for quite some time in the book. Insect Queen is kind of a one note villain as well, kind of lame. Dr. Light gets a huge push in my mind here and that was a highlight of the issue.

The back up was a fun short little story about Kara being trusted in the world and I thought it was just a fun little read, nothing too special. the art was strong in both stories and well I have to admire just how packed full of content the book is.

Score: 7.5

On a side note: Anyone hope that First Wave stays printed black and white? that was a cool little preview in a lot of dc books that I'm fully behind.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Supergirl 50

I hate it when these big marquee issues which SHOULD be perfect jumping on points are just filled with shit happening that a new reader will have no idea what's going on. The writing was ok but this felt like the last issue of a longer running arc that tied up some loose ends. This was NOT a good jumping on point and does nothing to get me to read anymore supergirl. The art looked nice in a lot of places and not so good in others. Igle can and has done good work before but this one didn't blow me away. The insect queen was kind of lame and that gangbuster dude totally sucks. on top of all this I paid 4.99 for this. Why the fuck was this 4.99???

Story 3
Art 5
New reader friendly 1

Overall 3

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 am

Gah why can't read good comics.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:09 am

Supergirl #50

I've crawled out of my sick bed to throw this review up. I'd be a total loser if I didn't review my own pick. This issue is not first time reader friendly. That is true. However, I do think that it was a strong story that Sterling culminates in this climatic issue. It was good to see Insect Queen back again but the final talk between Lana and Supergirl was the best part of the story. Sets up the future perfectly and makes sense on how it was done.

second story was alright. nothing great but nothing horrible. Art was solid in both issues.

Story: 8.5
Art: 8
My Score: 8.25

Also want to thank everyone who spent the money to read my pick this week. It's much appreciated. I will be redeading X-Men Forever next week and looking forward to it.

Now I'm crawling back into my sick bed. See you all soon.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:10 am

I read this (I totally Byrne stole it yesterday) no way am I paying for it!

It was ok. Much better than I expected. I mean I imagined I'd hate Supergirl, I'd hate the Insect Queen and I'd hate not understanding much but the plot was straight forward, there was a standard fight and it pretty much made sense to me. The talk at the end didn't really ring true with me, felt very forced.

The back up story sucked.

5.5 out of ten. Much better than I expected.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 am

Supergirl #50
This was pretty sub par. It may have been the fact that this was an issue which was tying up loose ends that I don't know or care about but it definitely did not make me want to read this title ever again. I didn't really know what to make of the beginning, the Insect Queen was lame and who the hell is Gangbuster? The art was ok, inconsistent in parts, I actually liked the art in the back up more so than the main book. bah.

STORY - 3

ART - 5

OVERALL - 4

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:44 am

Jude Terror wrote:I'm disappointed you would be so closed-minded.

You know my feelings on nostalgia-based series, there is no need to read such to judge them.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1065 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:52 am

Punchy wrote:You know my feelings on nostalgia-based series, there is no need to read such to judge them.

Wouldn't it be great though if all Nostalgia based series were set out of continuity so that the regular universe could progress without being hindered by it? You should applaud X-Men forever. Think about how much happier you'd be if Mighty Avengers was set in a Forever Universe.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:56 am

Jude Terror wrote:Wouldn't it be great though if all Nostalgia based series were set out of continuity so that the regular universe could progress without being hindered by it? You should applaud X-Men forever. Think about how much happier you'd be if Mighty Avengers was set in a Forever Universe.

I don't hate Mighty Avengers.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1065 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:00 am

Punchy wrote:I don't hate Mighty Avengers.

But it is a nostalgia based book. :?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand