Advertisement

Review Group Week 210 - SUPERGIRL #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:03 am

Jude Terror wrote:But it is a nostalgia based book. :?

But it's not really, it features many characters that were never Avengers before Disassembled, just as many as New did.

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:59 am

I don't care.

I go through stages like this once or twice a year. I have comics from 3 weeks ago that I haven't yet read. And 2 weeks ago. And last week. This, too, shall pass. In a week or two, I'll get caught up and be back on a regular reading pattern.

I forced myself to read Supergirl #50 so I could review it. Perhaps not the best way to go into reading a comic. While reviewing is often fun, it can also be work, and sometimes work has to get done.

This issue features 2 separate stories. The first is 40 pages, the second is 6 pages. The second is advertised as being by Helen Slater, but it is a co-written story...not just by Slater. I hate false advertising. Bah!

The first story is a regular 'in continuity' story that involves a character that I remember as being from the Silver Age. Insect Queen is a nasty bitch, and deserves to be sprayed with a 55-gallon can of Raid.

The second story is a 'slice of life' story. Supergirl is being castigated by the press. Ron Troupe, the host of Greet the Press, stands up for her. Supergirl gets a warm fuzzy feeling. The untold part of this story happens after the show ends for the week, and the immediate attacks from the Right Wing Media begin on Troupe. The character assassinations continue until Troupe eventually gets fired from Greet the Press, and can never again get a job on television. After years of trying to get back into television, Troupe falls into drug use, and is killed by a store owner he is trying to rob to get more drug money. He should have kept his mouth shut about Supergirl. Stupid fuck.

This comic was done well enough. I started reading it because it became part of the meta Superman story. But let's talk about the cover a bit. I hate manga eyes. Supergirl also has elfin ears. Nobody has a midsection that is that stretched out. This is not a good drawing. Michael Turner is, unfortunately, deceased. I hope his estate got a bunch of money for this cover, but it's not a good cover. Bah! (again)

Maybe I would've liked this better if I were in a better mood. But I'm not. And I didn't. I'll likely keep reading Supergirl because of the overall Superman story, but otherwise I might drop it. 6, but only because of the Superman tie-in. Humbug!
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 am

Chubbles wrote:Why the fuck was this 4.99?

Because it had 46 pages of story. That's a bargain these days. Should've been $5.99.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:10 am

I can review X-Men Forever without reading it.

A buddy of mine who reads everything just dropped the book saying it was shit-stupid.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:23 am

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:24 am

I'll be posting a score later tonight when I finish my review and turn it in to BF, so don't wait on me or anything.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1186 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:38 am

thefourthman wrote:I'll be posting a score later tonight when I finish my review and turn it in to BF, so don't wait on me or anything.

Please tell me that, due to tomorrow's review group, you will be reviewing X-Men Forever for BF. :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 am

Jude Terror wrote:Please tell me that, due to tomorrow's review group, you will be reviewing X-Men Forever for BF. :lol:

No, I will not. I don't know if you know or not, but I have really given this book a shot... not just you, but several people who I generally respect their opinions of books were so enamored with the book that even though I hated the first issue, I read the first trade paperback when it came out. I still hated it. I really try not to review things that I am biased on before reading, I would review every issue of Comic Book Comics, Proof and Glamourpuss but eventually you run out of things to say and are saying the same things over and over. In the same token, it is unfair for me to use the platform to bitch about X-Men Forever.... a. cause a lot of people like it and b. I really don't.

That being said, if for some reason it knocks my socks off, I will submit it to BF. :wink: ...Fair enough?

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 152 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Supergirl #50

Sterling Gates has lived up to his name with Supergirl since taking over the title in 2008. He has taken crippled by a contradictory backstory and personality and streamlined her into a hero that pays tribute both to her pre-COIE persona and her more modern interpretation.

Supergirl #50 is the culmination of a couple of major plot points that have been building in the comic over the past year, and a jumping off point for the upcoming War of the Supermen. Unfortunately, the main story falls a bit flat. It is revealed here that the long sick (and recently deceased) Lana Lang has again been possessed by the Insect Queen. While Gates gets props for paying attention to continuity, this is a rather weak climax to the story of Lana's sickness over the past year. It was built up to be a major secret in the title, and it turns out that it's just the Insect Queen. Again.

Another misstep is the inclusion of Gangbuster in the story. Once again, while I am happy to see the inclusion of the character after his appearance in Kurt Buseik's Trinity, he is not exactly an exciting draw for an oversized Fiftieth Issue Spectacular.

As for the story itself, it is well put together, if not exactly full of surprises. Dr. Light's inclusion is welcome here, as she has a connection with Metropolis in the other Superman titles, and the use of the machine which cured Supergirl of her kryptonite poisoning in the story is a nice nod to the beginning of Gates' run. The return of another character familiar to Supergirl fans is far more interesting, but is not part of the main story. This is not a bad story by any means, but it is not the sort of epic event which I would expect from an oversized issue, although the closing pages promise some interesting character development once the War of the Supermen is complete.

The art is the strongest part of this issue. Ignore the horid Michael Turner cover; Jamal Igle's interiors are fantastic. The man has come a long way in recent years, and he is a major draw for this title.

For what it's worth, I did enjoy the backup story. Supergirl's stock has finally started to rise again among the public, regardless of what Cat Grant has to say about her. It's fluff, but it's well done fluff, and the art is pleasant.

Overall, I was a bit underwhelmed by this issue. Gates can ably construct a story, but the actual beats do not reach out and grab the reader. Thankfully, the art continues to be quite good. If you are a Supergirl fan, pick it up to complete the Lana Lang subplot. If you are not a fan, this is not the best place to start.

Story: 6.5
Art: 8.5
Overall: 7

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:03 am

ugg. finished the review finally, posting, will link when live.

Main Story - 2
Art - 6

Back Up Story - 8
Art - 10

Overall 4.5

The good news for X-Men Forever is I just ripped a comic apart. The bad news for X-Men Forever is I just ripped a comic apart.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:00 am

it still ain't live, but you can read it here:
http://brokenfrontier.com/reviews/p/detail/supergirl-50

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:08 pm

I'm disappointed, I figured you guys would talk about this one, we sure as hell aren't talking about the new one!!!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 139 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:11 pm

thefourthman wrote:I'm disappointed, I figured you guys would talk about this one, we sure as hell aren't talking about the new one!!!

I think your adolescent fantasies about Helen Slater colored your review of her little Cliff's Notes exercise, especially in light of the fact you didn't mention her co-writer. Because it too two people to summarize, apparently.

No one else will read Jude's pick apparently.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I think your adolescent fantasies about Helen Slater colored your review of her little Cliff's Notes exercise, especially in light of the fact you didn't mention her co-writer. Because it too two people to summarize, apparently.

No one else will read Jude's pick apparently.

I mentioned black in the credits and
Somehow in the back up story, Slater and Black get that point across.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:15 pm

and the bit where I mention her is hardly complimentary:
All too often, as in that first couple of years, she is an example of all that is wrong with DC Comics. Here is no different. The comic is filled with b and d level characters. Last I saw Gangbuster he was stinking it up in the woeful Trinity, a comic that showed its characters' importance by being incomprehensible for 51 issues and then having every superhero ever talk about how great they are in the final issue. Replace superheroes with common people and this is aptly shown in the highlight of this issue, the Helen Slater penned recap of the past couple years of the book.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand