Advertisement

Y The Last Man (Finally finished it)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:48 pm

my daughter loves both Runaways and Gen13, and her and I have been staying up late on weekends and watching more adult movies (like Rent, and Blazzing Saddles and Moulan Rouge), so I'm thinking she could handle it.

I was just looking for other father's opinions. Thanks! :)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:28 pm

starlord wrote:excellent review, and I couldn't have said it better myself. And your score was dead on.

Now here's a question for you guys. My oldest daughter (soon to be 16), is wanting to get into the Vertigo titles. She's very mature for her age, and I'm thinking this might not be a bad one for her to read.

Thoughts? :?

16 is mature enough for Vertigo, I think. I mean I was reading and watching adult stuff when I was far younger: Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, for example.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 259 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:25 pm

Actually, I think 16 is around when I first read Sandman... and Preacher, come to think of it.

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Dugan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:30 pm

starlord wrote:my daughter loves both Runaways and Gen13, and her and I have been staying up late on weekends and watching more adult movies (like Rent, and Blazzing Saddles and Moulan Rouge), so I'm thinking she could handle it.

Blazing Saddles is an adult movie? :shock:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:18 pm

nietoperz wrote:16 is mature enough for Vertigo, I think. I mean I was reading and watching adult stuff when I was far younger: Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, for example.
You read that when you were sixteen? You were sixteen in the mid-eighties? I am slightly jealous.

And my last Y trade is in the mail :D

Brian, you could pass it on to your daughter to read at sixteen, and I think she'd probably enjoy it well enough, but she wouldn't get some of the jokes that are aimed for more mature people. Shit, there are jokes in that series that I think only English majors would understand, but that's because I'm an English major and I like to think of myself as an elitist.

Sixteen is a good age for Vertigo. How about Fables?
SHABBA!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:21 pm

Keb wrote:You read that when you were sixteen? You were sixteen in the mid-eighties? I am slightly jealous.

And my last Y trade is in the mail :D

Brian, you could pass it on to your daughter to read at sixteen, and I think she'd probably enjoy it well enough, but she wouldn't get some of the jokes that are aimed for more mature people. Shit, there are jokes in that series that I think only English majors would understand, but that's because I'm an English major and I like to think of myself as an elitist.

Sixteen is a good age for Vertigo. How about Fables?

My daughter just turned 12 two weeks ago, I plan on letting her start it next year. I will give her volume one for her birthday.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Y or Fables?
SHABBA!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:36 pm

Keb wrote:Y or Fables?

Fables. Sorry, I didn't realize that it would be unclear.

I did obsess over letting her read Runaways for god sakes.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:39 pm

But Runaways is made for kids that age!
SHABBA!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:45 pm

I think it depends on the kid. I really don't want my younger daughter to read Runaways yet, but would have no problem with her reading USM. She has a bit more of rebellious nature at almost 13, and already thinks her parents are all evil. LOL!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:17 am

Keb wrote:But Runaways is made for kids that age!

Dead hookers in issue 1! Beyond that point though it's awesome.

Fables would be fine for 16, and I'd say Y too. Then again I read Preacher at 16 so it's not like I'm one to hide the goodies from kids. If you wanted something a bit softer than the average Vertigo book, try tracking down the My Faith in Frankie digest, or some Minx?

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:44 am

I had also thought about Walking Dead, but I'm not sure she would really get into that as much. And honestly, as much as I love it, sometimes the art throws me off. Some of the people start looking like each other. Or my eyes are getting worse... probably the latter.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:30 pm

What about Invincible? Or did someone mention that? Oh wait we're talking mature readers stuff...hmm, there might be some Sandman stories she'll like, although they tend to mix a bit of graphic violence with girlie stuff (I'm thinking A Game of You and The Doll's House).

ooh and YTLM 10 is sitting on my bed. I'm contemplating just reading it now, or finishing my re-reading of the Ultimates...this is like a major life step for me or something. :(
SHABBA!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:55 pm

There were a lot of things I kind of knew would happen but I'd say I'm satisfied.
SHABBA!

CountD
Undead Member

Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:06 pm

the last issue was really touching

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand