Wednesday, July 18, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "Who invited Spektre?"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 210 - SUPERGIRL #50

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:09 am

Supergirl #50

I've crawled out of my sick bed to throw this review up. I'd be a total loser if I didn't review my own pick. This issue is not first time reader friendly. That is true. However, I do think that it was a strong story that Sterling culminates in this climatic issue. It was good to see Insect Queen back again but the final talk between Lana and Supergirl was the best part of the story. Sets up the future perfectly and makes sense on how it was done.

second story was alright. nothing great but nothing horrible. Art was solid in both issues.

Story: 8.5
Art: 8
My Score: 8.25

Also want to thank everyone who spent the money to read my pick this week. It's much appreciated. I will be redeading X-Men Forever next week and looking forward to it.

Now I'm crawling back into my sick bed. See you all soon.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:10 am

I read this (I totally Byrne stole it yesterday) no way am I paying for it!

It was ok. Much better than I expected. I mean I imagined I'd hate Supergirl, I'd hate the Insect Queen and I'd hate not understanding much but the plot was straight forward, there was a standard fight and it pretty much made sense to me. The talk at the end didn't really ring true with me, felt very forced.

The back up story sucked.

5.5 out of ten. Much better than I expected.

48THRiLLS

Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 am

Supergirl #50
This was pretty sub par. It may have been the fact that this was an issue which was tying up loose ends that I don't know or care about but it definitely did not make me want to read this title ever again. I didn't really know what to make of the beginning, the Insect Queen was lame and who the hell is Gangbuster? The art was ok, inconsistent in parts, I actually liked the art in the back up more so than the main book. bah.

STORY - 3

ART - 5

OVERALL - 4

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:44 am

Jude Terror wrote:I'm disappointed you would be so closed-minded.

You know my feelings on nostalgia-based series, there is no need to read such to judge them.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:52 am

Punchy wrote:You know my feelings on nostalgia-based series, there is no need to read such to judge them.

Wouldn't it be great though if all Nostalgia based series were set out of continuity so that the regular universe could progress without being hindered by it? You should applaud X-Men forever. Think about how much happier you'd be if Mighty Avengers was set in a Forever Universe.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:56 am

Jude Terror wrote:Wouldn't it be great though if all Nostalgia based series were set out of continuity so that the regular universe could progress without being hindered by it? You should applaud X-Men forever. Think about how much happier you'd be if Mighty Avengers was set in a Forever Universe.

I don't hate Mighty Avengers.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:00 am

Punchy wrote:I don't hate Mighty Avengers.

But it is a nostalgia based book. :?

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:59 am

I don't care.

I go through stages like this once or twice a year. I have comics from 3 weeks ago that I haven't yet read. And 2 weeks ago. And last week. This, too, shall pass. In a week or two, I'll get caught up and be back on a regular reading pattern.

I forced myself to read Supergirl #50 so I could review it. Perhaps not the best way to go into reading a comic. While reviewing is often fun, it can also be work, and sometimes work has to get done.

This issue features 2 separate stories. The first is 40 pages, the second is 6 pages. The second is advertised as being by Helen Slater, but it is a co-written story...not just by Slater. I hate false advertising. Bah!

The first story is a regular 'in continuity' story that involves a character that I remember as being from the Silver Age. Insect Queen is a nasty bitch, and deserves to be sprayed with a 55-gallon can of Raid.

The second story is a 'slice of life' story. Supergirl is being castigated by the press. Ron Troupe, the host of Greet the Press, stands up for her. Supergirl gets a warm fuzzy feeling. The untold part of this story happens after the show ends for the week, and the immediate attacks from the Right Wing Media begin on Troupe. The character assassinations continue until Troupe eventually gets fired from Greet the Press, and can never again get a job on television. After years of trying to get back into television, Troupe falls into drug use, and is killed by a store owner he is trying to rob to get more drug money. He should have kept his mouth shut about Supergirl. Stupid fuck.

This comic was done well enough. I started reading it because it became part of the meta Superman story. But let's talk about the cover a bit. I hate manga eyes. Supergirl also has elfin ears. Nobody has a midsection that is that stretched out. This is not a good drawing. Michael Turner is, unfortunately, deceased. I hope his estate got a bunch of money for this cover, but it's not a good cover. Bah! (again)

Maybe I would've liked this better if I were in a better mood. But I'm not. And I didn't. I'll likely keep reading Supergirl because of the overall Superman story, but otherwise I might drop it. 6, but only because of the Superman tie-in. Humbug!

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 am

Chubbles wrote:Why the fuck was this 4.99?

Because it had 46 pages of story. That's a bargain these days. Should've been $5.99.

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:10 am

I can review X-Men Forever without reading it.

A buddy of mine who reads everything just dropped the book saying it was shit-stupid.

Postby ****** » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:23 am

http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/6660/600/

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:24 am

I'll be posting a score later tonight when I finish my review and turn it in to BF, so don't wait on me or anything.

MrBlack

WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Supergirl #50

Sterling Gates has lived up to his name with Supergirl since taking over the title in 2008. He has taken crippled by a contradictory backstory and personality and streamlined her into a hero that pays tribute both to her pre-COIE persona and her more modern interpretation.

Supergirl #50 is the culmination of a couple of major plot points that have been building in the comic over the past year, and a jumping off point for the upcoming War of the Supermen. Unfortunately, the main story falls a bit flat. It is revealed here that the long sick (and recently deceased) Lana Lang has again been possessed by the Insect Queen. While Gates gets props for paying attention to continuity, this is a rather weak climax to the story of Lana's sickness over the past year. It was built up to be a major secret in the title, and it turns out that it's just the Insect Queen. Again.

Another misstep is the inclusion of Gangbuster in the story. Once again, while I am happy to see the inclusion of the character after his appearance in Kurt Buseik's Trinity, he is not exactly an exciting draw for an oversized Fiftieth Issue Spectacular.

As for the story itself, it is well put together, if not exactly full of surprises. Dr. Light's inclusion is welcome here, as she has a connection with Metropolis in the other Superman titles, and the use of the machine which cured Supergirl of her kryptonite poisoning in the story is a nice nod to the beginning of Gates' run. The return of another character familiar to Supergirl fans is far more interesting, but is not part of the main story. This is not a bad story by any means, but it is not the sort of epic event which I would expect from an oversized issue, although the closing pages promise some interesting character development once the War of the Supermen is complete.

The art is the strongest part of this issue. Ignore the horid Michael Turner cover; Jamal Igle's interiors are fantastic. The man has come a long way in recent years, and he is a major draw for this title.

For what it's worth, I did enjoy the backup story. Supergirl's stock has finally started to rise again among the public, regardless of what Cat Grant has to say about her. It's fluff, but it's well done fluff, and the art is pleasant.

Overall, I was a bit underwhelmed by this issue. Gates can ably construct a story, but the actual beats do not reach out and grab the reader. Thankfully, the art continues to be quite good. If you are a Supergirl fan, pick it up to complete the Lana Lang subplot. If you are not a fan, this is not the best place to start.

Story: 6.5
Art: 8.5
Overall: 7

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:03 am

ugg. finished the review finally, posting, will link when live.

Main Story - 2
Art - 6

Back Up Story - 8
Art - 10

Overall 4.5

The good news for X-Men Forever is I just ripped a comic apart. The bad news for X-Men Forever is I just ripped a comic apart.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:00 am

it still ain't live, but you can read it here:
http://brokenfrontier.com/reviews/p/detail/supergirl-50

leave a comment with facebook