Advertisement

Review Group Week 210 - SUPERGIRL #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Spicy Dick wrote::shock: Wow, you really are obsessed with her, aren't you?

cause going to imdb and cutting and paste is obsessive :wink:

I do however know the scene where Woody Harrel and Elizabeth Shue make the deal and then consumate it in Palmetto by heart.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:51 pm

Herald wrote:Not enough of Dr. Light's personality shone through in this. I realize that Supergirl's the main character, but having her direct everything Kimiyo does?? Nah.

Yeah, I forgot to mention it but that was odd. "Did you build that magic machine just like I told you to?"

Is Kara a super scientist or super smart? I honestly don't remember that being part of her character.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 397 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Yeah, I forgot to mention it but that was odd. "Did you build that magic machine just like I told you to?"

Agreed. It's as if Gates was trying to put Supergirl's intelligence about Kimiyo's.

Is Kara a super scientist or super smart? I honestly don't remember that being part of her character.

Not really.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Punchy wrote:You're rambling now...

How dismissive. Try to play nice.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:07 pm

thefourthman wrote:yeah it was... dude the 28 pages before it was horrible, cliche and full of crap no one should care about.. . it had the logic of Barry trying to get Jude to pump his gas for him and smelled like your ass. oh wait that was the avatar book... oh wait that was this weeks book. I'm going home dammit.

The problem with the 28-page story is that it was closing a chapter of the present story while helping to set up the next story, and that Supergirl is not the driving comic in either story. You can see the same effect in this week's issue of Superman. The Conner Kent, Science Police, and Mon-El story sorta ends while setting up the next story, which, I believe, will be the big 100 Minute War in the all Superman related titles.

I love continuing stories when a series of plots is used year after to year to present one huge story. I moved last year, finally getting cable again (I was mostly cable-free for nearly 3 years; no money to pay for it). I have discovered House. Just about every significant thing that has happened last year and this is related to past episodes. (Thanks to cable reruns, I get to see many of those old episodes.)

But at some point, House will have to end, as all television series do. At some pint, shouldn't there be a major break between comic book stories to allow the readers to take a break from remembering all that is tied in with the present story? I think so, and I think that has hurt the Superman line the last year or two.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:41 pm

Old Man wrote:The problem with the 28-page story is that it was closing a chapter of the present story while helping to set up the next story, and that Supergirl is not the driving comic in either story. You can see the same effect in this week's issue of Superman. The Conner Kent, Science Police, and Mon-El story sorta ends while setting up the next story, which, I believe, will be the big 100 Minute War in the all Superman related titles.

I love continuing stories when a series of plots is used year after to year to present one huge story. I moved last year, finally getting cable again (I was mostly cable-free for nearly 3 years; no money to pay for it). I have discovered House. Just about every significant thing that has happened last year and this is related to past episodes. (Thanks to cable reruns, I get to see many of those old episodes.)

But at some point, House will have to end, as all television series do. At some pint, shouldn't there be a major break between comic book stories to allow the readers to take a break from remembering all that is tied in with the present story? I think so, and I think that has hurt the Superman line the last year or two.

Thing is, that with the exception of her rehashed origin, Supergirl has been at the mercy of other books. It and Teen Titans are the clearest examples of how Editorial should not be allowed to dictate what goes on in a book. It is one thing to acknowledge other story lines or to crossover, but Supergirl started as spin off of a story in Superman Batman and spent the first two years dealing with that, then Amazons Attack and now the World Without a Superman dictates its story. Its not fair to the character or the writers.

I am one of the first to say that you have to write a compelling story regardless of having to play with editorial's toys, it is part of their job when writing the big two's books, but both those titles have lacked any kind of spark in a while. At some point, you have to allow the character and the writer to develop on their own. With Supes off planet, it is the perfect time to just let Kara have at it and its not, its one big mess of stuff that has been brewing for a while in OTHER books. Let it be its own book or cross it over, don't rely on cliches, contrivances and supporting cast.

Plus the writing is just bad. This read like the Insect Queen story in Superman and that wasn't any good either.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Old Man wrote:How dismissive. Try to play nice.

But he was.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Ok, why did fourthy become "guest"?

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:34 pm

guest wrote:Thing is, that with the exception of her rehashed origin, Supergirl has been at the mercy of other books. It and Teen Titans are the clearest examples of how Editorial should not be allowed to dictate what goes on in a book. It is one thing to acknowledge other story lines or to crossover, but Supergirl started as spin off of a story in Superman Batman and spent the first two years dealing with that, then Amazons Attack and now the World Without a Superman dictates its story. Its not fair to the character or the writers.

I am one of the first to say that you have to write a compelling story regardless of having to play with editorial's toys, it is part of their job when writing the big two's books, but both those titles have lacked any kind of spark in a while. At some point, you have to allow the character and the writer to develop on their own. With Supes off planet, it is the perfect time to just let Kara have at it and its not, its one big mess of stuff that has been brewing for a while in OTHER books. Let it be its own book or cross it over, don't rely on cliches, contrivances and supporting cast.

That's the problem with current Supergirl: She's not her own woman. She's just an adjunct to Superman, completely borrowing from his milieu and his supporting cast. Now more than ever, Supergirl is just Superman with boobs.

PAD's Supergirl stood on her own, and DC was foolish to ditch her for this.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Herald wrote:That's the problem with current Supergirl: She's not her own woman. She's just an adjunct to Superman, completely borrowing from his milieu and his supporting cast. Now more than ever, Supergirl is just Superman with boobs.

PAD's Supergirl stood on her own, and DC was foolish to ditch her for this.

I can't remember which Supergirl that was or if I ever tried it.

I was a big Supergirl fan when I was a young comics reader, though. But haven't connected with a writer of her since she died in the Crisis.

Do you think Chris Hanson will be involved when Brainiac 5 "meets" her? I will probably want to read that, I saw it teased in the solicits.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I can't remember which Supergirl that was or if I ever tried it.

The Linda Danvers Supergirl. Her solo book written by PAD ran from the mid '90s up until 2003. For the last 30 issues, she wore the white t-shirt costume worn by the animated Supergirl.

I was a big Supergirl fan when I was a young comics reader, though. But haven't connected with a writer of her since she died in the Crisis.

Understandable. But PAD did a great job with the Linda Danvers Supergirl.

Do you think Chris Hanson will be involved when Brainiac 5 "meets" her? I will probably want to read that, I saw it teased in the solicits.

The Age of Consent may be lower in the 31th century. :o

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Ok, why did fourthy become "guest"?

Because he was here uninvited and didn't know when to leave?

:twisted:

I wanna be Quest.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Supergirl #50

Let me preface this review by stating that I dropped Supergirl a few issues ago, so I didn't know much about Kara's problems with Lana or anything; I too was lost.

Wow. What a bland comic book. I can't say that blew me away or anything. I'm in awe that this was supposed to be an anniversary issue. Of all the stories that could've been told, of all the characters Kara could've gotten help from, Gangbuster gets picked. Let me repeat that: Gangbuster. Who really cares about Gangbuster. This was an underwhelming team up, and just an overall underwhelming issue. There were some bright moments with the Superwoman stuff, and even Kara's confrontation with Lana there at the end, but otherwise, this was a huge snoozefest. I'm a little disappointed. I thought Sterling Gates would blow me away with this issue because I know he knows the character well. But what the heck man?

The art was fine. No problems there, except for a few facial expression issues I have. But otherwise, a decent issue, but not enough to make up for the lame story.

Back up Story
Really, what was the point of this story? This seemed like a pointless thing to add to the issue. We could've been given something with real substance. Art was great though. Fantastic

Stories- 2
Art- 8.5
Overall- 5.25

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Re: Review Group Week 210 - SUPERGIRL #50

Postby GLX » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Cliff Chiang's art is great
Main story? Good. Back up? Bad.
Seven out of ten.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand