Advertisement

Review Group Week 211 - X-MEN FOREVER #18

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Old Man wrote:HEY!

Don't assume because I am old that I prefer the classic stuff...I like virgins, too!

Everyone likes Virgins, even god:

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Link to a rare 5 bullet review on Comics Bulletin for this issue:

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/1 ... 635305.htm

:shock: Jude Terror + Ray Tate = BFF

It's a pretty brief review and doesn't really explain why he liked it so much but does mention nostalgia--I think you either get it or you don't with this book. I just don't have any affinity for that specific era in comics but understand how strong that draw can be.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm sad more of you couldn't at least give the book a long glance in the shop so we'd have something to talk about.

For example, what is that thing strapped to '90s era Cyclop's chest?

Images

I've always wondered.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Link to a rare 5 bullet review on Comics Bulletin for this issue:

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/1 ... 635305.htm

:shock: Jude Terror + Ray Tate = BFF

It's a pretty brief review and doesn't really explain why he liked it so much but does mention nostalgia--I think you either get it or you don't with this book. I just don't have any affinity for that specific era in comics but understand how strong that draw can be.

Ray Tate is picky, but somewhat predictable in his tastes. He loves Marvel Adventures and Bongo comics.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Ray Tate can also be very vicious when he hates a book. I find that very funny.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:21 pm

GLX wrote:Ray Tate is picky, but somewhat predictable in his tastes. He loves Marvel Adventures and Bongo comics.

Haha. BURN!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Wow what an exciting week. :roll:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 534 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 am

X-Men Forever #18

First of all, I should admit that I'm biased, because X-Men Forever is my favorite book on the stands right now. It's not that I think it's so much better than other books, because there are others that are just as good, but for me personally it is very important. The X-Men, after all, and specifically Chris Claremont's 80s X-Men are what got me into comic books. Like a drug addict chasing the ghost of that first great high, it's rare that I can find the kind of wonder and enjoyment in comics that I had back then, when each new issue of Uncanny X-Men was the coolest thing in the world to me.

In the early nineties, around the time Chris Claremont left Uncanny X-Men, I took a decade long break from comics, and didn't come back until Morrison's X-Men run at the beginning of the century. As a result of this odd mix of circumstances, this book picks up where I left off with the X-Men all those years ago as a reader just as it picks up where Claremont left off as a writer. It's more than just nostalgia - it's the chance to go back and relive what might have been.

There's a lot to be said about Claremont's writing style, but what defines it for me is his ability to make each issue feel special while still advancing a great many plotlines in each issue. In that respect, this issue perfectly illustrates Claremont's strength as a writer, because though we get a complete story on several levels. On one, there is the obvious story of Nathan being kidnapped and Scott, Alex, and Lorna getting him back. On top of that there is the story of Scott struggling with his desire to give up super-heroics and be a proper father to his son, and the circumstances that keep calling him back to the X-Men. Finally, we get a lot of exposition in the background about Corsair, Alex, and Lorna, and we get some advancement on the Consortium plot.

The beauty of Claremont's work is that the longer it runs, due to the nature of his plotting, the more intricate the story gets, and the better the payoff becomes. I enjoyed this book when it first started, but now that we're nearing the end of "season 1," I am simply enthralled in it. The next issue, which looks to feature Sabretooth, Nick Fury, and Daisy Dugan, should be incredible.

The art in this particular issue is an improvement on some weeks. I won't pretend that the art on this series can't sometimes hurt the book, as Grummett is forced to keep up a very quick pace on this bi-weekly book, and scheduled fill-in artists hurt the consistency. As I said though, the art on this issue was fantastic, and I hope Grummett can continue to deliver on this level in the future.

Story: 10
Art: 10
Total: 10

I wish I could give it more than a perfect rating. Best book on the stands today. Claremont at his best, hitting all his classic notes. A rare chance to get second helpings on the greatest comic book run of all time.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Wow what an exciting week. :roll:

It's not my fault Punchy and Doombug don't have the balls to review this. Or anyone else who skipped. Guitarsmashley? GHERU? Come on RU, this is a good issue! :x

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 53 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:54 am

fine:

X-men forever #18

Obviously this book has a niche audience that feeds on the 80's nostalgia and that's exactly what the book is. To say I enjoyed the issue would be a lie but I really stopped liking Claremont when he destroyed the Exiles. (I stuck in through the entirety of New Exiles and it just didn't get any better.)

I didn't enjoy the book but I am nowhere near the right audience for the book. Weak Scott Summers dialogue which to me proves why he's become as better character now.

The art is the only thing I really enjoyed about the book.

Score: 5

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 am

Spicy Dick wrote:I'm sad more of you couldn't at least give the book a long glance in the shop so we'd have something to talk about.

For example, what is that thing strapped to '90s era Cyclop's chest?

Images

I've always wondered.
Bug hotel.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:46 am

doombug wrote:fine:

X-men forever #18

Obviously this book has a niche audience that feeds on the 80's nostalgia and that's exactly what the book is. To say I enjoyed the issue would be a lie but I really stopped liking Claremont when he destroyed the Exiles. (I stuck in through the entirety of New Exiles and it just didn't get any better.)

I didn't enjoy the book but I am nowhere near the right audience for the book. Weak Scott Summers dialogue which to me proves why he's become as better character now.

The art is the only thing I really enjoyed about the book.

Score: 5

See that wasn't so hard, was it? I still think it deserved a better score though.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:50 am

This isn't a matter of balls, it's a matter of not wanting spend money on something I won't like, I can't afford to do that.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:51 am

Punchy wrote:This isn't a matter of balls, it's a matter of not wanting spend money on something I won't like, I can't afford to do that.

Real men review X-Men Forever. That's all I'm saying man.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:51 am

FYI, I would accept you just giving it a score of 8 or 9 without reading it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand