Advertisement

Review Group Week 212 - FIRST WAVE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:12 pm

starlord wrote:And the combination of Azzarello and Rags Morales is a perfect marraige as well. Excellent pick and I will be continuing this series in hopes that it continues in the powerful vein it has started in.

I'll review it later, but I had planned on giving this a few issues even if I wasn't crazy about the first issue.

Sitting at the LCS today, a lot of aspersions were cast on my character. Must have been my turn in the barrel. Fuckin' guys got no respect for their elders.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:29 pm

doombug wrote:Why do get the feeling only 4 of us are going to actually enjoy this? :lol:

I told you to pick Sparta, but noooooo, you had to go with the Azz book.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 pm

starlord wrote:First Wave #1

The first word that came to my mind when I finished this was: intriguing. There were parts of it that I didn't quite get yet, but knowing Brian Azarello's style, I have every confidence that this is going to turn into one heck of a story.

Not knowing much about Savage or The Spirit makes it even sweeter. Old characters that I can learn about for the first time and in the more than capable hands of one of comic's best writers in the last ten years.

And the combination of Azzarello and Rags Morales is a perfect marraige as well. Excellent pick and I will be continuing this series in hopes that it continues in the powerful vein it has started in.

Story: 8
Art: 9
My Score: 8.5

Aww it's reasons like that why I love you star. how are you healing bud?

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 pm

thefourthman wrote:I told you to pick Sparta, but noooooo, you had to go with the Azz book.

I know I'll love both but I have this weird love of pulpy stuff as of late.

Oh and I'm about halfway through fables now. I could not love this series anymore then I already do. 8)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Maybe it needed Matt Fraction to write little caption boxes for each character. :wink:

For instance, does anyone know what Marvel Comics character John Sunlight is the probably inspiration for?

(I have to admit I was hoping Sunlight would be used here.)

Doctor Doom

Spicy Dick wrote:So, questions for anyone paying more attention than I:

Why is this called First Wave?

What is the plan? This is a 5 or 6 issue mini, right? What is the structure, more miniseries after? No ongoings, just minis?

No idea why it's called First Wave. This is a 6-issue mini, they are also launching a Doc Savage ongoing, with a Justice Inc back-up, and a Spirit ongoing, set within the same universe. They've mentioned the possibility of a Gun-Bats series too.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:28 am

First Wave is the brand name they are going to use for the pulp universe.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:33 am

thefourthman wrote:I told you to pick Sparta, but noooooo, you had to go with the Azz book.

Sparta was a disappointment.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1149 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:35 am

This book sounds terrible. I can't wait to read it.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:41 am

Jude Terror wrote:This book sounds terrible. I can't wait to read it.

It's not terrible, but it doesn't really do much to introduce the pulp characters to new readers. I think it will take a few issues for that.

I hate introductions to characters I'm already familiar with, so it was ok with me.

The short interlocking pieces of story, much like the new Jack Staff book, might throw some people off the book.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am

Old Man wrote:I'll review it later, but I had planned on giving this a few issues even if I wasn't crazy about the first issue.

Sitting at the LCS today, a lot of aspersions were cast on my character. Must have been my turn in the barrel. Fuckin' guys got no respect for their elders.

Well that isn't nice. Wish I had been there. I would have had your back! Just remember, with age comes wisdom... and they obviously aren't old enough to have it yet. ;-)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:45 am

doombug wrote:Aww it's reasons like that why I love you star. how are you healing bud?

Aww thanks. I'm really happy you picked it and even happier that I enjoyed it. I'm healing slowly, but I AM healing. A week ago I was begging my husband to find the number to Jack Kavorkian, now, not so much. That's a step in the right direction. lol

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:03 am

Jude Terror wrote:This book sounds terrible. I can't wait to read it.

Deserves a revenge 0, IMO.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:06 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Sparta was a disappointment.

You're a disappointment! :x

Not that I've read it, maybe I'll break down and buy the first issue even though I'm waiting for the trade just so I can argue how wrong you probably are.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 am

Spicy Dick, John Sunlight was in this issue, he was the guy with the beard drinking Vodka on the bench.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1149 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 am

amlah6 wrote:Deserves a revenge 0, IMO.

I'm going to be grading all books on a curve based on the average score of X-Men Forever #18 from now on. So if I would have given a book a 7, it will be 7 * .549, giving it an actual score of 3.843. This is based on the fact that X-Men Forever is the most perfect comic of all time, and therefore represents the highest possible grade on the scale. :-D
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand