Monday, December 11, 2017 • Morning Edition • "We put the lotion in the basket."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Starman and Shazam Crossover? WHY!?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Dalarsco

cheese

Postby Dalarsco » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:48 am

So I got the latest Starman Omnibus today and man was the crossover at the beginning ever disappointing. I have never seen two books so contrasting try to do an interweaving story. It just didn't work. The art and writing styles were so different that it became incredibly jarring. Starman was ahead of it's time, while Shazam was intentionally retro in every way. Both were good, but in ways that made them a poor choice of becoming a crossover. Why was that ever greenlit?

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:54 am

Robinson seems to speak highly of it and I'd have to side with him. I thought it was a fun little experiment in storytelling that worked.

Loved the fight between the two as well.

Dalarsco

cheese

Postby Dalarsco » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58 am

The Starman chapters were great. I loved how Robinson wrote Captain Marvel, and the internal monologue from Jack was perfect as usual. I can understand Robinson being proud of it. It was the Shazam parts that were a jarring difference when read as part of Starman. Maybe it would have been the reverse if I were reading a Shazam collection, but those chapters just felt out of place. The tone was completely different. It went from the expected Starman feel of "way ahead of it's time" to Silver Age in a single page flip.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:02 am

Shazam in general was a pretty poor book, IMO.

And I say this as something who thinks very highly of Jerry Ordway. But it's just not his best work, to say the least.

However, I did love the Starman/Batman/Hellboy crossover.

Dalarsco

cheese

Postby Dalarsco » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:05 am

Really? I assumed that the dialogue was intentional Silver Age pastiche at the wrong time. I didn't realize that wasn't intentional. Of course, as we all recently learned, not even Robinson is perfect...

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:07 am

MoneyMelon wrote:Shazam in general was a pretty poor book, IMO.

And I say this as something who thinks very highly of Jerry Ordway. But it's just not his best work, to say the least.

However, I did love the Starman/Batman/Hellboy crossover.

Fuck yes! James had a really strong grip on hellboy, I was surprised. And the art was pretty 8)

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:09 am

Dalarsco wrote:Really? I assumed that the dialogue was intentional Silver Age pastiche at the wrong time. I didn't realize that wasn't intentional. Of course, as we all recently learned, not even Robinson is perfect...

Oh, it was intentional. It was just done very poorly.

Sometimes you can make the silver age stuff work, and sometimes you need to forget it and remember the context you're working in.

The problem with Shazam was Ordway tried to cram too much of the silly stuff into the book, like Talking Tawny for example. For me, at least, it never really struck that balance of being a nod to the silver age, but also being a book aimed at a modern audience.

Dalarsco

cheese

Postby Dalarsco » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:11 am

Ya, every time the foster father talked I wanted to smack him. Hard.

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:34 am

I enjoyed it. I liked how it was bringing together all these different elements, from Captain Marvel to the two different Starmen to the WWII to the GLC to Mister Mind. Fun story that stands out as fairly different from much of the rest of the book in some ways, but feels connected in other ways. Plus, this whole volume had a ton of Nazi stories, and tis played in with that.

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:42 am

MoneyMelon wrote:The problem with Shazam was Ordway tried to cram too much of the silly stuff into the book, like Talking Tawny for example.

Tawny is awesome. That you don't realize that undercuts your whole argument.

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:10 am

I just got the new omnibus earlier this week so I haven't read it yet, but I remember not liking the Shazam stuff very much at the time. I'm hoping those issues read better this time around.

leave a comment with facebook