Advertisement

Review Group Week 212 - FIRST WAVE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 83 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 am

48THRiLLS wrote:I am debating between Daytripper #4 and Criminal #5
If there are trade waiters that would be upset over either then we are reading X-Men Forever #19 :twisted:
Criminal.

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:45 am

Jude Terror wrote:I'm not actually pissed off about anyone who read the book and gave it a bad review. I'm more pissed off that people, even people who hadn't read an XMF comic, already decided they hated it before reading it, and either refused to give it a try or allowed their bias to cloud their review. If you don't like something, you don't like it. But I thought the purpose of this was to try books you wouldn't normally read with an open mind. XMF is the first book in a long time in here that I was reading anyway, and didn't get specifically for the group.

I'm reading XMF now Jude. Review coming today or tomorrow! It's been very interesting.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:52 am

Next weeks book...
DAYTRIPPER #4
On sale MARCH 10 • 4 of 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US MATURE READERS
Written by FÁBIO MOON & GABRIEL BÁ
Art by GABRIEL BÁ & FÁBIO MOON
Cover by GABRIEL BÁ

It’s a day of celebration as Brás’ son is born! But why is Brás’ mother at the hospital before him? And when it comes to his family getting bigger, why might he not want to welcome all its new.

Each of the first 3 issues came off as standing alone so I think this can be read without any prior knowledge... if there are those who are waiting for this I don't mind if you wanna skip... that is a much better reason than not reviewing cause you don't think you will like the book :P

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:57 am

48THRiLLS wrote:Next weeks book...
DAYTRIPPER #4
Cover by GABRIEL BÁ

It’s a day of celebration as Brás’ son is born! But why is Brás’ mother at the hospital before him? And when it comes to his family getting bigger, why might he not want to welcome all its new.

Each of the first 3 issues came off as standing alone so I think this can be read without any prior knowledge... if there are those who are waiting for this I don't mind if you wanna skip... that is a much better reason than not reviewing cause you don't think you will like the book :P

Coolio. 8)

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:29 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Next weeks book...
DAYTRIPPER #4
Cover by GABRIEL BÁ

Hell yes. 8)

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 am

First Wave #1(of 6) - 'First Wave Book One' - Azzarello and Morales

Story - There's a bit of a Pulp resurgence going on in comics these days, Incognito, Marvel Noir, Green Hornet, all sorts. And even though in a previous Review Group I've been accused of not being knowleadgable enough about the Pulp roots of superhero comics, I still find it within myself to enjoy these comics, and DC's new First Wave fits very well into this new Pulp trend. It's a sort of crazy Elseworlds, which is Pulp in some ways, but modern in others, and it plays with all sorts of classic characters, most notable is Doc Savage, perhaps the most famous Pulp hero, alongside Will Eisner's The Spirit, and DC properties like the Blackhawks and Black Canary. And most controversially of all, a Batman who uses guns!

He's not in this issue though, so just ignore him. It's The Spirit and Doc Savage who get the Lion's share of attention in Azzarello's new series, as they begin to uncover a massive conspiracy, involving the death of Doc Savage's dad, smuggling and a giant fucking robot. What is the Golden Tree? I want to know! But what I don't know is that much about Doc Savage, only what you can glean from wikipedia, Incognito articles and Warren Ellis' Planetary homage, Doc Brass, but he seems an interesting character here, a proto-Superman, but with a bit more human frailty. I would like to have a bit more information on his Entourage though, who is the Turtle? Who is the Johnny Drama?

My favourite scene is probably the introduction to this version of The Spirit, seeing him sleeping in the grave, that's just iconic stuff, it really fits the character. I also liked his inner monologue. I just hope that this version of the character doesn't veer off into too superheroic avenues. I'm not too sure about Dolan being crooked, but it makes sense in this darker world.

I do have some problems with this book, the reasonings behind why this world is both modern and old-fashioned are not explained, and while I don't want everything handed out on a plate for me, perhaps a little more elucidation is needed, why not just make it a period piece, set in the 1940s? Why do we need cellphones? If you want to go Pulp, just go Pulp! But that's a little thing, and maybe we'll have some more light shed on it in the next 5 issues and the accompanying Doc Savage and Spirit series. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what the Blackhawks, Black Canary and most notably Batman are like in more detail. But why couldn't they get the rights to the Shadow?

I like it when DC do these funky Elseworld stories, it's a welcome reprieve from the mess their main continuity has become these days, and of course there's a fanboyish thrill to be had in seeing all these characters thrown together. It's not perfect, but the mysteries have their hooks in me, and it's worth trying something new.

Art - Rags Morales is an artist I've never really got behind, I first saw his work on Identity Crisis, and found it competent, but everyone had really pointy noses. This is probably his best work ever though, it looks a lot more polished than usual, you can tell he's been able to take his time on it and really make it work, perhaps the key is that he's inking himself. I just hope he can keep that going, and not get rushed by #5 or #6. Nei Ruffino's colours have come in for a bit of stick, because we were given a black and white preview in the back of some books, but I don't mind it, I think the textures are really good.

In terms of cover art, I got the Neal Adams cover, it's typically strong.

Best Line - 'As a Fruitcake'

7.5/10

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:24 am

Punchy wrote:I do have some problems with this book, the reasonings behind why this world is both modern and old-fashioned are not explained, and while I don't want everything handed out on a plate for me, perhaps a little more elucidation is needed, why not just make it a period piece, set in the 1940s? Why do we need cellphones? If you want to go Pulp, just go Pulp!

Agreed. I'm not sure why the intentional anachronisms, either. After all, early pulps and speculative fiction certainly found plenty of ways around the lack of cell phones, often inventing much more interesting devices than the LG Razor.

I'm worried it is just laziness, as exemplified by the phoned in ending to the B/DS one-shot. We're just being introduced to this amalgam-world they are crafting and the writers have made sure to explain the technological discrepancies, but suppose it's issue #32 and I'm a new reader--is it going to seem confusing? Maybe not, but I too wish they had simply gone the period route.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 241 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:48 am

Story - having brought myself with a healthy dose of Dent & Eisner I'm quite familar with the cast (even Rima) and even tho somethings have been modernized they felt spot on (even Dolan's corruptness).
As others have stated, this was primarily a set up issue but by the end I feel the story rolling.
Brian has been hit or miss with me but I like where this is going.

Art - Beautiful (the only drawback is the coloring. These characters belong in a 4 color dot world. I don't mind the cell phones or data recorders but the painted coloring of the art just doesn't work for me.

Cover - I got stuck (mail ordered) with the Jones cover. I still don't understand the attraction others have for his stuff. Wish I had the Adams cover.

Story - 7
Art - 10

(overall - 8.5)

Coloring - 4
Cover (Jones) - 2
Last edited by Amoebas on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:53 am

Amoebas wrote:Art - Beautiful (the only drawback is the coloring. These characters belong in a 4 color dot world. I don't mind the cell phones or data recorders but the painted coloring of the art just doesn't work for me.

The coloring was overbearing, and unfortunately DC showed us Rags' detailed and subtle inks a couple weeks ago--my opinion is a lot was lost after the inked pages were colored as printed. For me at least, it was possibly the main drawback to this first issue and will probably continue to be.

Dang, you guys are practically writing my review for me.

Thanks.

Postby ****** » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Yeah the coloring was a big mistake. It was the same colorist as was on the Supergirl book a couple of weeks ago and he colored the two books exactly the same. Major fail.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:30 pm

amlah6 wrote:Yeah the coloring was a big mistake. It was the same colorist as was on the Supergirl book a couple of weeks ago and he colored the two books exactly the same. Major fail.

Wow, I did not realize that, but I remember knocking the colors in my review. I guess I do not like this colorist's heavy-handed style at all. :(

Y'know...if they were to color or even print this in a more appropriate "old school" manner, it would be REALLY cool if they printed it on that fancy-schmancy newsprint stock they used for Wednesday Comics.

Would that be 2phar for you, Amlah6?

Postby ****** » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:43 pm

No, I would dig that. Actually, the newsprint on the DC Kids books would work, it doesn't even have to be the fancy stuff.

I liked the colors on the Supergirl book, the heavy handed modern coloring techniques worked for me in that setting.

First Wave would have benefited greatly by someone like Lee Loughridge who is good with a dark/noir style color palette.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:49 pm

First Wave #1

Brian Azzarello and Rags Morales have something special here. I really enjoyed the pacing of the book and the introduction to some of our characters. From the robot who has a really cool design to Denny giving the chief some crap over his police work, the voices sounded right.

The overlooming mystery is unique and I truly have no idea where its going. The Blackhawks meeting with the Spirit at the end actually surprised me and the gold being in those sandbags was an interesting twist. I am also really curious how the jungle girl is going to play a part here.

My only real problems are with the coloring which I didn't think was needed via those previews we've all seen. And when your book feels like it's set in the 30's...why the hell do you have cell phones? It doesn't exactly work out.

Grade: 7.5

It's a fun start with a lot of promise.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:59 pm

doombug wrote:First Wave #1

Brian Azzarello and Rags Morales have something special here. I really enjoyed the pacing of the book and the introduction to some of our characters. From the robot who has a really cool design to Denny giving the chief some crap over his police work, the voices sounded right.

The overlooming mystery is unique and I truly have no idea where its going. The Blackhawks meeting with the Spirit at the end actually surprised me and the gold being in those sandbags was an interesting twist. I am also really curious how the jungle girl is going to play a part here.

My only real problems are with the coloring which I didn't think was needed via those previews we've all seen. And when your book feels like it's set in the 30's...why the hell do you have cell phones? It doesn't exactly work out.

Grade: 7.5

It's a fun start with a lot of promise.

I like this.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:04 pm

starlord wrote:I like this.

And it shows that I can look at any book subjectively. For a first issue it suffered a bit. But over all it was a strong read with a lot of promise. 8)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand