Advertisement

Review Group Week 212 - FIRST WAVE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:14 am

Spicy Dick wrote:I have a dream of building my hermit house out of blocks of crap books bound together and encased in flame-retardant plaster like the straw bale houses of the west and southwest.

Some time ago, I had a water leak. The water went into an adjoining closet where I had a box of magazines. They soaked up a lot of water. When I finally discovered the water damage, the whole box of magazines was dry and fused together. It was so solid a block of hardened paper that I couldn't get it apart enough to see what magazines I had lost. The mags had glossy paper, which I think helped it stick together so well. So I suppose you could build walls with blocks of comic books.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Advertisement

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:50 am

Dug the issue, nice art slick stuff. Strong story, can't wait to get the rest of the mini. I am quite excited. Great first issue
8.5/10

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 pm

First Wave #1

Although I have only a passing familiarity with most of the characters in this book, I enjoyed it. Brian Azzarello does a very effective job of introducing us to the main players in this story. An introductory issue of this sort can be nothing less than confusing, but Azzarello gives us just enough clues that we can see how the disparate elements tie together. Some names to connect to a few of the characters would have been appreciated, but that is a small complaint.

Rags Morales is impressive, as usual, on art chores. He is one of the few artists that manages to perfectly meld realism with a little bit of cartoonishness to create realistic but extremely expressive characters. Although the paints take away a bit from Rags' very delicate pencils, I liked the richness that it added to the finished work.

Not much else to say. It was an interesting story with great art, and I think I will be adding this to my pull list.

Story: 9
Art: 10
Overall: 9.5

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:45 pm

First Wave #1
By Azzarello & Morales

For the first issue of a mini, this comic is not very reader friendly. Azzarello throws all these characters at you without giving you a clear idea of who they are and what they do. As an experienced comic reader I know these characters, but this should not be requirement. Additionally the issue is entirely a setup, which again is not very reader friendly.

The art however more than makes up for the story by being very detailed and expressive. Rags Morales shows his skill here by making every character distinctive and unique. Plus his action scenes flow beautifully as each panel seems merely to be a snapshot of actual action as it is happening.

Writing 4
Art 9
Total score 6.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:12 pm

I suppose I will finally read this.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Did I miss batman in that issue or is he just on the cover to trick people into buying the comic?

The story was like a lot of Azzarello-thrown together with no point but everything still feels very flat. The Doc Savage stuff was interesting and the spirit stuff was boring. The Jungle thing was pointless. There are too many threads which is what Azzarello loves to do but this one they fall apart. When ever I read Azz i have to figure out if I read the dialogue in the right order because it often doesn't make a lot of sense. The art didn't feel like rags but it wasn't bad.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 pm

First Wave #1

I had to read this a couple of times to get a good feel for it. My initial reaction was that it felt a little flat. After a re-read, I liked it more but it does feel very much like it will read better as the first issue in a collection rather than a single issue comic book.

The only Doc Savage I've read previous to this was Doc Brass in Planetary which is to say that this is my introduction to Doc Savage and I don't know that it really did the character justice. Hopefully that one shot from a few months back will be collected with this. The Spirit's introduction in this was better and more fleshed out but the other plots explored in this issue weren't substantial enough for me to really have an opinion one way or another. The tone and the pacing of Azzarelo's writing was just pulpy enough that I could be temped to read more of First Wave.

Rags Morales is pretty awesome and I'm not just talking about his Rob Liefeld smackdown on Old Rama. His work here in terms of detail and texture is really wonderful, but I have to say that I didn't really enjoy the widescreen panel layouts for this. I know they're trying to play off the classic elements against the modern, but when applied to the art, especially the coloring, I found it to be very distracting.

Story: 8
Art: 7
Overall: 7.5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 am

amlah6 wrote:First Wave #1

I had to read this a couple of times to get a good feel for it. My initial reaction was that it felt a little flat. After a re-read, I liked it more but it does feel very much like it will read better as the first issue in a collection rather than a single issue comic book.

The only Doc Savage I've read previous to this was Doc Brass in Planetary which is to say that this is my introduction to Doc Savage and I don't know that it really did the character justice. Hopefully that one shot from a few months back will be collected with this. The Spirit's introduction in this was better and more fleshed out but the other plots explored in this issue weren't substantial enough for me to really have an opinion one way or another. The tone and the pacing of Azzarelo's writing was just pulpy enough that I could be temped to read more of First Wave.

Rags Morales is pretty awesome and I'm not just talking about his Rob Liefeld smackdown on Old Rama. His work here in terms of detail and texture is really wonderful, but I have to say that I didn't really enjoy the widescreen panel layouts for this. I know they're trying to play off the classic elements against the modern, but when applied to the art, especially the coloring, I found it to be very distracting.

Story: 8
Art: 7
Overall: 7.5

Rags was a fucking tool to Liefeld.

Why is everyone copying my 7.5?

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:54 am

Punchy wrote:Rags was a fucking tool to Liefeld.

Nuh uh. That was interweb awesomeness.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:04 am

amlah6 wrote:Nuh uh. That was interweb awesomeness.

When creators act like dicks on the internet, they should be charged with crimes.

/fanboys complaining about Mark Waid'd

But when they act like dicks to someone we don't like, they are heroes.

/fanboys talking about Rags Morales'd
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 am

Jude Terror wrote:When creators act like dicks on the internet, they should be charged with crimes.

/fanboys complaining about Mark Waid'd

But when they act like dicks to someone we don't like, they are heroes.

/fanboys talking about Rags Morales'd

I like Rob. Go fall on your sword for him somewhere else.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:11 am

amlah6 wrote:I like Rob. Go fall on your sword for him somewhere else.

Did you call for Mark Waid's head when he said anyone who talked shit about Steve Whacker on Newsarama was gonna be "eating through a straw"?

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:28 am

Jude Terror wrote:Did you call for Mark Waid's head when he said anyone who talked shit about Steve Whacker on Newsarama was gonna be "eating through a straw"?

Nope. I thought that was funny too. :P

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 am

amlah6 wrote:Nope. I thought that was funny too. :P

Then my statement didn't apply to you at all! So I won't be falling on any swords,* thank you very much! :x

*the sword is his penis

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 am

Jude Terror wrote:Then my statement didn't apply to you at all! So I won't be falling on any swords,* thank you very much! :x

*the sword is his penis

I wish more creators would threaten fanboys with physical violence. It's why Al Gore created the interwebs, it's a shame that so many let the opportunity go to waste.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand