Advertisement

Review Group Week 213 - DAYTRIPPER #4

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Punchy wrote:But you've said you like it! You're being too harsh I think.

I loved the first issue, I liked the second issue, when I got to the end of the third issue I decided that I have no idea what is going on, which can be a good thing... if this were a stronger creative team it would be a really good thing, but given what I have read of them, I am sure it is going to go nowhere, it is a neat experiment. The kind of thing that would get a newcomer a Xeric, that doesn't mean it is a polished complete story. Truthfully, I hope I am wrong and that they blow me out of the water with this issue and the subsequent 8 issues, but I have my doubts.

There are significant problems with the book. I have not dropped it yet (and it is actually on my pull list... I buy it and bring it home) but it is hanging by a thread at this point.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:37 pm

thefourthman wrote:I loved the first issue, I liked the second issue, when I got to the end of the third issue I decided that I have no idea what is going on, which can be a good thing... if this were a stronger creative team it would be a really good thing, but given what I have read of them, I am sure it is going to go nowhere, it is a neat experiment. The kind of thing that would get a newcomer a Xeric, that doesn't mean it is a polished complete story. Truthfully, I hope I am wrong and that they blow me out of the water with this issue and the subsequent 8 issues, but I have my doubts.

There are significant problems with the book. I have not dropped it yet (and it is actually on my pull list... I buy it and bring it home) but it is hanging by a thread at this point.

Do you really think Vertigo would greenlight a series if it was the level of a college paper?

And I don't think you can say whether or not it's a polished complete story until it has finished it's 10-issue run.

You are being pessimistic, you're letting the negative aspects of the series overshadow the positive.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 pm

thefourthman wrote:unless this issue does some major revealing, we are a third into the series with nothing but random death. Having read Pixu and Mesmo Delivery Service, I don't have enough faith in them as creators to believe that this going somewhere. It is a nifty creative writing experiment that would have gotten them a B in college.

Is this one of Lee's co-workers fucking with his laptop? Lee would know that Rafael Grampa did Mesmo and not Ba or Moon. I also doubt he would lump Pixu in seeing as it is a collaboration with Cloonan and Lolos and isn't remotely the same thing as them doing something on their own.

In other words: :roll: :roll: :roll:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:20 pm

Punchy wrote:Do you really think Vertigo would greenlight a series if it was the level of a college paper?

And I don't think you can say whether or not it's a polished complete story until it has finished it's 10-issue run.

You are being pessimistic, you're letting the negative aspects of the series overshadow the positive.

they greenlit Greek Street and it is below the level of a college paper.

The negative is a big one in my eyes.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:21 pm

amlah6 wrote:Is this one of Lee's co-workers fucking with his laptop? Lee would know that Rafael Grampa did Mesmo and not Ba or Moon. I also doubt he would lump Pixu in seeing as it is a collaboration with Cloonan and Lolos and isn't remotely the same thing as them doing something on their own.

In other words: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Grampa=Ba=Moon... not convinced the cousins aren't the same person...

Only thing I have read that ANY of them has worked on that felt complete (but has its own problems with lucidity) is Umbrella Academy.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:33 pm

thefourthman wrote:Grampa=Ba=Moon... not convinced the cousins aren't the same person...

Except for the fact that they draw totally different and have all three been seen in the same place at once.

thefourthman wrote:Only thing I have read that ANY of them has worked on that felt complete (but has its own problems with lucidity) is Umbrella Academy.

If you say so...

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 pm

LCS Saturday 8)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:00 pm

thefourthman wrote:Grampa=Ba=Moon... not convinced the cousins aren't the same person...

Now you're just being ridiculous.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:04 pm

I took a day trip today.

I went to the LCS and almost got in an accident in their parking lot. Some jackass was sitting in the drive, then decided to back up to try to get a closer parking spot than he was almost pulling in to. His backup light weren't working. As I didn't know he was backing up, I was still coasting forward, thinking he was going to park. I had to blow my horn to get him to stop. I don't think he was looking behind. When we had both parked, I politely told him that his backup lights weren't working. He gave me a non-committal shrug like he already knew that.

Should I have killed him?

After the comics shop, I went to get lunch. I stopped at Popeye's Chicken and got their chicken nuggets. Ate them. Not filling at all. So I stopped at Del Tacos and got a cheeseburger. Pulled up to the drive through window, and the woman called me Hon. I like that. She wasn't from the southern part of the country where they say that all the time. She was nice looking. I stared her right in the eye, which I like to do to women sometimes. Makes them nervous. Nah, I'm not a stalker. Just like to act like one sometimes. In any case, she maybe liked it...her pointers stiffened right up.

Seriously, should I have killed that guy in the parking lot?

After lunch, I went to my favorite health food store. (Yeah, kinda odd that I go to a health food store after eating fast food.) They were closed. Not just closed as in not open. Closed as in out of business. Dammit.

Now I really want to go back and kill that guy.

On my way home, I stopped at a Dollar General store. Dollar General is quite common in my area. They are not a dollar store, but they do have bargains. Last week, they had some Fruit of the Loom Marvel Super-Hero T-shirts for $6. A couple weeks before that, they had Breyer's Ice Cream pints for $2.35. (I had Butter Pecan.) And for the last several weeks, they had Gemstone Disney Comics for $1. One buck for comics that were cover priced at $6.95, $7.95, and $8.95! It appears that all the stores got the same comics, but different stores have none at all. This one had none. Dammit!

I think next week I'll get to the LCS early and wait for that guy to show up. I'll ask if he got his backup lights fixed. If he says no, what do you think Imma gonna do?

The comic? 5. The lyrics made no sense, and the beat wasn't hot enough to dance to.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:05 pm

That was not a review.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Old Man wrote:I took a day trip today.

I went to the LCS and almost got in an accident in their parking lot. Some jackass was sitting in the drive, then decided to back up to try to get a closer parking spot than he was almost pulling in to. His backup light weren't working. As I didn't know he was backing up, I was still coasting forward, thinking he was going to park. I had to blow my horn to get him to stop. I don't think he was looking behind. When we had both parked, I politely told him that his backup lights weren't working. He gave me a non-committal shrug like he already knew that.

After the comics shop, I went to get lunch. I stopped at Popeye's Chicken and got their chicken nuggets. Ate them. Not filling at all. So I stopped at Del Tacos and got a cheeseburger. Pulled up to the drive through window, and the woman called me Hon. I like that. She wasn't from the southern part of the country where they say that all the time. She was nice looking. I stared her right in the eye, which I like to do to women sometimes. Makes them nervous. Nah, I'm not a stalker. Just like to act like one sometimes. In any case, she maybe liked it...her pointers stiffened right up.

After lunch, I went to my favorite health food store. (Yeah, kinda odd that I go to a health food store after eating fast food.) They were closed. Not just closed as in not open. Closed as in out of business. Dammit.

On my way home, I stopped at a Dollar General store. Dollar General is quite common in my area. They are not a dollar store, but they do have bargains. Last week, they had some Fruit of the Loom Marvel Super-Hero T-shirts for $6. A couple weeks before that, they had Breyer's Ice Cream pints for $2.35. (I had Butter Pecan.) And for the last several weeks, they had Gemstone Disney Comics for $1. One buck for comics that were cover priced at $6.95, $7.95, and $8.95! It appears that all the stores got the same comics, but different stores have none at all. This one had none. Dammit!

I think next week I'll get to the LCS early and wait for that guy to show up. I'll ask if he got his backup lights fixed. If he says no, what do you think Imma gonna do?

The comic? 5. The lyrics made no sense, and the beat wasn't hot enough to dance to.

:?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Old Man wrote:I took a day trip today.

That was the best review I have ever read. A+ for you.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:58 pm

I didn't like this book at all.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I didn't like this book at all.

But it's alternative! It doesn't have superheroes in it! You love all that stuff!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Daytripper #4

For the first time since Street Fighter Turbo, I don't care to re-read this book before reviewing. That was a pointless exercise in manufactured melodrama that lacked the depth of emotional resonance that a more well-written story built around the same themes of birth, loss, and death could have. The dialogue is stilted and unnatural, it does nothing to help the reader understand these characters or bring them to life. Forgetting Bras himself, the female characters are so poorly constructed I found myself asking if the author likes women at all? The wife is flighty and possibly addled, or just, as the least important person in the story, written as an afterthought. The mother is narcissistic and demanding, and the half-sister seems distant and depressed but doesn't actually seem to have any purpose at all, either in the story or as a fictional person. Speaking of pointless, on the last page, the main character's heart just stops beating and as he passively and obediently expires, the text boxes read like an excerpt from a church bulletin recounting a recent loss of a congregant.

It would be depressing if it weren't utterly lifeless. I guess I should count my blessings.

(And the art was decent but not noteworthy beyond that nod.)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand