Advertisement

Review Group Week 213 - DAYTRIPPER #4

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31799
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 13 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Punchy wrote:But it's alternative! It doesn't have superheroes in it! You love all that stuff!


You're confusing me with your brother, I read a mixture of stuff, but I'll take Demo over this any day.

Advertisement

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:31 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:You're confusing me with your brother, I read a mixture of stuff, but I'll take Demo over this any day.


How are the new Demos?

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31799
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 13 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Punchy wrote:How are the new Demos?


Great! It's a nice off-beat read. Maybe Daytripper is too, but from this one issue it wasn't. I would gladly read anything by Bendis or Loeb instead.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Great! It's a nice off-beat read. Maybe Daytripper is too, but from this one issue it wasn't. I would gladly read anything by Bendis or Loeb instead.


Is this Bizarro-World?

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31799
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 13 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:52 pm

Punchy wrote:Is this Bizarro-World?


Was Daytripper translated from another language? Because then I could cut it some slack for the dialogue. Otherwise, I would much rather read about the New Avengers ordering take-out or Red Hulk punching Stan Lee in the nuts than this.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Was Daytripper translated from another language? Because then I could cut it some slack for the dialogue. Otherwise, I would much rather read about the New Avengers ordering take-out or Red Hulk punching Stan Lee in the nuts than this.


The brothers Ba and Moon are Brazilian, but I think they are fluent in English.

GLX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 39040
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 103 posts
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 pm
Title: Leader of The Society


Postby GLX » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:22 am

You fuckers are tripping. This sucker was enjoyable. Some new elements came into the mix. The party from issue #1 is expanded on and the fates of Jorge and Bras' dad are interesting. The art was tight, as always.

8* out of 10*
Image

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31799
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 13 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:41 am

GLX wrote:You fuckers are tripping. This sucker was enjoyable. Some new elements came into the mix. The party from issue #1 is expanded on and the fates of Jorge and Bras' dad are interesting. The art was tight, as always.

8* out of 10*


It's the hazard of reading an isolated chapter of a larger narrative, I guess. Taken by itself, this single issue seemed oddly flat for a book trying so hard to deal in huge universal themes like birth, death, etc. Plus, it seemed like it was just aiming to be depressing, as the main character is harried into heart failure by his self-absorbed mother. The issue ends like a cheap obituary, for fuck's sake. But I couldn't really sympathize too much with Bras either, especially after his reaction to his half-sister. Nothing here would make me ever want to read about any of these people ever again.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31799
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 13 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 am

Punchy wrote:The brothers Ba and Moon are Brazilian, but I think they are fluent in English.


Yeah, I read back over a lot of the dialogue after all, and it's just the odd flatness to it all. Except for his wife who usually has the expression on her face of someone taking it up the ass for the first time.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:05 am

Spicy Dick wrote:It's the hazard of reading an isolated chapter of a larger narrative, I guess. Taken by itself, this single issue seemed oddly flat for a book trying so hard to deal in huge universal themes like birth, death, etc. Plus, it seemed like it was just aiming to be depressing, as the main character is harried into heart failure by his self-absorbed mother. The issue ends like a cheap obituary, for fuck's sake. But I couldn't really sympathize too much with Bras either, especially after his reaction to his half-sister. Nothing here would make me ever want to read about any of these people ever again.


The ending is meant to be a cheap obituary, in #1 they reveal that Bras is a frustrated novelist who has to write obits for the Newspaper to earn money.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31799
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 13 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 am

Punchy wrote:The ending is meant to be a cheap obituary, in #1 they reveal that Bras is a frustrated novelist who has to write obits for the Newspaper to earn money.


Haha. At least that makes sense in retrospect. I hate to repeat myself, once again
I always leave open the possibility of a larger story, but I can only review this issue--I actually wanted to pick up the previous issues too, but this week just isn't a good one for spending extra $$ for me.

That still doesn't make me sympathize with him, though. Frustrated novelists get on my nerves.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27324
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 227 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:18 am

alright kiddies, just for youse guys, I am gonna put down the issue of Red Robin I am reading and gonna give this here Daytripper a try. Crossing my fingers, back in a bit.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

MrBlack
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11393
Likes: 58 posts
Liked in: 141 posts
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 am


Postby MrBlack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:35 am

I enjoyed it, although I need to give it a second read.

I was liking it a lot better before I learned

[spoiler]he dies in every issue.[/spoiler]

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:23 am

Another great issue of this book, I really like the Bras character, and enjoy seeing his life from all different times.

I do wonder why so many of you dislike the 'dies at the end of every issue' idea, I think it's a really clever concept, I just can't work out what it means and why it's happening, but it's a good idea nonetheless.

MrBlack
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11393
Likes: 58 posts
Liked in: 141 posts
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 am


Postby MrBlack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:42 am

Punchy wrote:Another great issue of this book, I really like the Bras character, and enjoy seeing his life from all different times.

I do wonder why so many of you dislike the 'dies at the end of every issue' idea, I think it's a really clever concept, I just can't work out what it means and why it's happening, but it's a good idea nonetheless.

South Park already did it. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 95 guests

Advertisement