Advertisement

Review Group Week 213 - DAYTRIPPER #4

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:41 pm

doombug wrote:Daytripper #4

By Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon

So when I read the first issue of this series I think it took the scene at the bar to hook me and then I was really curious as to where things would head. The of course I got to issue #3 and was still confused but really pulled in by Bras as a character.

Bras through the story seems to be your typical struggling writer who does his best to do right by his family friends and in some cases the women he falls in love with. What was interesting in this issue was the exploration of a slightly older bras relationship with his parents and his wife who was about to have their first child.

The exploration between Bras and the mysterious girl who he once let get away was a highlight for me. I really enjoyed the over all mystery of who she was and how she was connected to his father. (not sure if I read it right but was she a love interest for Bras or was she his father's illegitimate daughter from another woman?)

The art is as as strong as the brothers have every been in my opinion. I feel that you can't tell exactly which brother is drawing what and their styles really seem to mesh together extremely well.

I'm really curious to see exactly how Bras is still alive at these different points in his life and just what everything means. My current theory is that we are following Bras as he writes a book that will be successful about a fictional version of himself who dies after several important moments in his life.

Art: 10
Story: 7.5

Over all: A solid 8. ][/youtube]

They refer to her as his half-sister in the issue, she's his father's illegitimate daughter.

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Punchy wrote:They refer to her as his half-sister in the issue, she's his father's illegitimate daughter.

Ah okay, I was thrown off because Bras mentioned missing out on the girl of his dreams like a page after that.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:43 pm

wtf does it say the youtube thing for? I have to edit that. Must hav hit the button somehow when I was writing.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Punchy wrote:They refer to her as his half-sister in the issue, she's his father's illegitimate daughter.

Not arguing that you are wrong, but it could be his daughter from a previous marriage.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Old Man wrote:Not arguing that you are wrong, but it could be his daughter from a previous marriage.

Really doubt that one, she's younger than Bras or at least she's drawn to look younger. :?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:49 am

Old Man wrote:Not arguing that you are wrong, but it could be his daughter from a previous marriage.

Nope, she mentions how Mother told her not to visit her father, that implies some level of illegitimacy, to me at least.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:48 am

Daytripper #4(of 10) - '41' - Moon and Ba

Story - Daytripper is a book you have to look at on two different levels, each issue stands alone, and you have to look at how it works as a full story in the life of Bras De Oliva Domingos. But there's also an overarching story here, each issue tells a day in the life (or so) of Bras during different points of his life, but at the end of each issue, he dies. But then the story picks up again, and the events that happened prior to his death still happened. In #3 Bras saw a woman in a shop, ran after her and got hit by a bus, aged 28. But in this issue, aged 41, he's married to that woman! What's going on? There's a mystery there, why does he keep dying?

On the first level, this issue of Daytripper is just as accomplished as the previous 3, Bras is a very engaging, and very real character, he's got human fears and worries, and I do find myself interested in his life. Perhaps the fact that we're seeing it holistically, all over his life, that makes him seem real, we get to know him as a callow youth, and now as a mature man. It makes him very well-rounded. I wouldn't have expected that Ba and Moon could be so good at human touches, considering that their artwork is normally accompanied by over the top crazy action stories like Casanova and Umbrella Academy.

The crux of this issue, and of much of the series before it, is father/son relationships, Bras' father is a famous author, and Bras himself a struggling one, and when you combine the impending birth of Bras' son, and the death of his father, it's all one big fatherly mess. You would think that after reading a ton of comics and watching 6 seasons of LOST I'd be bored of father/son relationships, but they are an eternal theme I think, and I think Daytripper has a more down to Earth take on them.

Then you've got how this issue ties in with the over-arching story of Bras' constant deaths and rebirths. In this issue he has a heart attack, like his dad. It's another solid moment, even if you know it's coming (and you do), it's still interesting. There aren't many hints here as to an overall 'Why', the biggest came in #2, but I did like this line of dialogue: "No matter how hard he tried to block it all out... people will keep dying". Little does Bras know he's talking about himself! There are some other little links to the bigger picture, a mention of Bras' friend Miguel, who seems to be dead (for real), and a flashback to events immediately after #1 (or a version of #1 where Bras isn't murdered).

In the end, I don't think the overall reasoning for why Bras is actually dying every issue is really necessary, I think it may be a simpler point that we could die any day, and we should appreciate every day. A 10-issue version of 'Where clean underpants in case you get hit by a bus'. I'm enjoying myself enough just reading about Bras' life and learning about this fantastic character. The death thing is just a hook to get you in to a more meaty story. This is highly recommended by me, this is a book with real emotion behind it, and a character you definitely care about.

Art - I knew Fabio Moon was a fantastic artist after reading Casanova: Gula (take that trade-waiters, I've read it! Buy the singles!), but I am surprised by how well he's adjusted from super-spy shenanigans to more realistic subject matter. I particularly like how Bras still looks like the same person aged 41 here as he does aged 28, or 21, it's very good stuff, and makes the story work, it wouldn't be as effective if Bras looked like a different person every time. The colouring by Dave Stewart is also very good, I'm used to Moon's work in monochrome blue, and the colours add another layer. On top of the meaty story each month, Daytripper is an artistic treat too, now just get back to Casanova!

Best Line - I've already mentioned it, but it's: "No matter how hard he tried to block it all out... people will keep dying"

8.2/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Has Fourthman seen the banner ad on The Outhouse for Dark Horse which has a picture of Ba and Moon on it? They are not the same person!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Punchy wrote:Has Fourthman seen the banner ad on The Outhouse for Dark Horse which has a picture of Ba and Moon on it? They are not the same person!

in the age of photoshop, I will not believe it until I meet them and even then I might be inclined to think one is an actor hired to play the brother/cousin/lover/whatever...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:31 pm

thefourthman wrote:in the age of photoshop, I will not believe it until I meet them and even then I might be inclined to think one is an actor hired to play the brother/cousin/lover/whatever...

You stupid fuck

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Punchy wrote:You stupid fuck

BAN HIM!!!!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:32 pm

thefourthman wrote:BAN HIM!!!!

They'll ban you because of Avatar confusion. Who can tell who's saying what?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Punchy wrote:They'll ban you because of Avatar confusion. Who can tell who's saying what?

They'll ban both of us and everyone will be happy!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Punchy wrote:Nope, she mentions how Mother told her not to visit her father, that implies some level of illegitimacy, to me at least.

I don't see that. Perhaps she is mad at him for having an affair during their marriage. Or maybe he told her she looked fat in that dress.

Women get mad and hold a grudge for the damnedest things.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Old Man wrote:I don't see that. Perhaps she is mad at him for having an affair during their marriage. Or maybe he told her she looked fat in that dress.

Women get mad and hold a grudge for the damnedest things.

No, I'm right.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand