Advertisement

Review Group Week 213 - DAYTRIPPER #4

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Punchy wrote:CHRIS! got in trouble for doing the same thing, do you want me to launch my Mod protection?

launch sequence initiated!

I think everyone should change their name to some variation of Punchy

Advertisement

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:25 pm

PUNCHY! wrote:And you are still the expert.

You wound me! :(

[spoiler]Not really. This "I have Punchy's avatar" shit is getting old.[/spoiler]

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:27 pm

GLX wrote:You wound me! :(

[spoiler]Not really. This "I have Punchy's avatar" shit is getting old.[/spoiler]

It's his fault.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:42 pm

GLX wrote:Lame gag is lame.

I agree.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Old Man wrote:I agree.

:lol:

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Changed my avatar because I don't want to be like Punchy.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Old Man wrote:Changed my avatar because I don't want to be like Punchy.

:x

you suck

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Old Man wrote:I took a day trip today.

I went to the LCS and almost got in an accident in their parking lot. Some jackass was sitting in the drive, then decided to back up to try to get a closer parking spot than he was almost pulling in to. His backup light weren't working. As I didn't know he was backing up, I was still coasting forward, thinking he was going to park. I had to blow my horn to get him to stop. I don't think he was looking behind. When we had both parked, I politely told him that his backup lights weren't working. He gave me a non-committal shrug like he already knew that.

Should I have killed him?

After the comics shop, I went to get lunch. I stopped at Popeye's Chicken and got their chicken nuggets. Ate them. Not filling at all. So I stopped at Del Tacos and got a cheeseburger. Pulled up to the drive through window, and the woman called me Hon. I like that. She wasn't from the southern part of the country where they say that all the time. She was nice looking. I stared her right in the eye, which I like to do to women sometimes. Makes them nervous. Nah, I'm not a stalker. Just like to act like one sometimes. In any case, she maybe liked it...her pointers stiffened right up.

Seriously, should I have killed that guy in the parking lot?

After lunch, I went to my favorite health food store. (Yeah, kinda odd that I go to a health food store after eating fast food.) They were closed. Not just closed as in not open. Closed as in out of business. Dammit.

Now I really want to go back and kill that guy.

On my way home, I stopped at a Dollar General store. Dollar General is quite common in my area. They are not a dollar store, but they do have bargains. Last week, they had some Fruit of the Loom Marvel Super-Hero T-shirts for $6. A couple weeks before that, they had Breyer's Ice Cream pints for $2.35. (I had Butter Pecan.) And for the last several weeks, they had Gemstone Disney Comics for $1. One buck for comics that were cover priced at $6.95, $7.95, and $8.95! It appears that all the stores got the same comics, but different stores have none at all. This one had none. Dammit!

I think next week I'll get to the LCS early and wait for that guy to show up. I'll ask if he got his backup lights fixed. If he says no, what do you think Imma gonna do?

The comic? 5. The lyrics made no sense, and the beat wasn't hot enough to dance to.

Bonus points for mentioning Dollar General, thats where I work. :-)

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Unfortunately, I couldn't find this at my comic store. I picked up First Wave though

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:asshole. I bet you are Lew.

You forget, your dutch overloards refused to give me a login for your forums.

Gee, why is that place dead again? :lol:

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:11 pm

amlah6 wrote:You forget, your dutch overloards refused to give me a login for your forums.

It's called Broken Frontier. :P

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:13 pm

amlah6 wrote:You forget, your dutch overloards refused to give me a login for your forums.

But apparently Enemas get in like greased...wait.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:12 pm

I read this, and I'm back so I thought I'd play.

Daytripper #4 "41"

[spoiler]Bras dies at the end. [/spoiler]

Something that sounds so big is really nothing of the sort, and it's fairly obvious to anyone who's been reading every issue that the most important days of Bras' life have all been capped off with him thinking up his own obituary. Asking himself how he'd be remembered. Seems like a weird thing for anyone to do, but Bras is introspective and constantly seems unsure of himself. So why would the creators have said that this is a comic about life?

Because every issue shows us one of the key days in a man's life and here we've got the day Bras becomes a father, and loses his own. The dialogue isn't perfect, but it's certainly easy to hear the characters speaking, albeit in heavily accented English. The story is slight but with plenty of room to breathe and more than any issue since the first it provides fuel for further stories.

That the story is so easy to read is helped a great deal by the art. I doubt anyone expected a Moon\Ba comic to be ugly, but this is career best work from the boys with soft colours making the grounded art pop far more than the OTT trip that Casanova was or the demented pop art in Umbrella Academy. God it's a pretty book to look at and ultimately it's the prettiness that helps overcome the slim story and slows the book down. It makes 22 pages feel like 24 hours and it's a joy to read.

Not exactly heavyweight stuff but it's pretty enough for that not to matter.

8/10

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Hey Old Man.

The guy in the parking lot, was it one of those gamers?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Daytripper #4(of10)

I have really really liked this book so it bums me out a little that I didn't like this issue as much as the 3 before. It is not that i disliked this, it just fell a little flat with me. I am not sure I can handle 6 more issues of Bras dying before I see some sort of explanation of what the hell is going on, is he a symbolic everyman and these are just random stories or is he not physically dying and we are seeing moments where he is dying inside? I will keep on buying this because my interest is piqued just enough and the art is damn good but I have reservations and I hope that this is not one of those books where it ends unexplained and the reader gets to choose their own ending or portray it ion their own way... I am not that imaginative and a little dumb so hopefully they spell it out for me. The art is just as good as the other issues, I can't explain why I like it but i know that I just do and that is my professional opinion. I think my main problem is that this needed more Bras being run over by a van and none of this cliched he died of a broken heart crap.

STORY - 7

ART - 9

OVERALL - 7.5

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand