Advertisement

Box-O-Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 58 posts

Postby KingPagla » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:25 pm

WebHobbit wrote:I live in Indiana (Evansville) so I do have to pay sales tax from DCBS.

:(

But on the plus side I get my shipments VERY fast since they are very close to me. I usually get my box within 2 days of shipping.

:D
Have you ever tried MailOrderComics?
They're in Nebraska.

Advertisement

WebHobbit
Tip Top Dancer

Liked in: 0 post

Postby WebHobbit » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:28 pm

I looked hard at MOC before I started with DCBS. DCBS 's prices seemed better at the time as did their website.
----

<a href="http://lrpctechblog.com">lrpctechblog.com</a>
<a href="http://lrpctech.com">lrpctech.com</a>

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:55 am

MechaKingPagla wrote:I think Previews woulda come either with your comics or in the middle of the month.
So this sounds promising!
Is the weight indicated?

3.5 pounds.

EDIT: Just looked on Heroes Corner and it looks like it is just the Previews catalog coming. I don't really know why I'm getting a copy since I didn't place a June order.

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Postby KingPagla » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:39 am

WebHobbit wrote:I looked hard at MOC before I started with DCBS. DCBS 's prices seemed better at the time as did their website.
I thought, maybe the tax break might make up for the price difference. MOC recently increased their discount to 38% on most books so it might be worth another look.

You're right about the web sites though. MOC's is rather cumbersome, but while DCBS is easier to navigate, I really didn't like that your cart would empty when you logged out.

I think Westfield Comics and Heroes Corner's websites are better than both DCBS and MOC, but Westfield is much more expensive and HC wouldn't help you since they're also in Indiana.

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Postby KingPagla » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:43 am

JL_Amato wrote:3.5 pounds.

EDIT: Just looked on Heroes Corner and it looks like it is just the Previews catalog coming. I don't really know why I'm getting a copy since I didn't place a June order.
hmmm...
Maybe they picked you to get the free comics, like they did me, last month. 8)

WebHobbit
Tip Top Dancer

Postby WebHobbit » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:53 am

MechaKingPagla wrote:I thought, maybe the tax break might make up for the price difference. MOC recently increased their discount to 38% on most books so it might be worth another look.

Well the damned politicians are rapidly working on a method to close the Internet Tax Loop Hole as we speak anyway.

Bastages

:cry: :x
----

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Postby KingPagla » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:58 am

That too true :cry:
I just got an email from Newegg last week that they now charge tax. :smt013
I was kinda hoping comics would stay immune.
Now, is the plan is to charge the tax rate of the seller's state or the buyer's?
Or is there gonna be a new internet sales tax?

WebHobbit
Tip Top Dancer

Postby WebHobbit » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:02 am

I haven't heard much detail about which plan they are gonna go with yet. To me if one has to do this the only "fair" way would be an "Internet Tax Rate" that would be an average of all the state's tax rates. Then there would need to be some sort of Federal collection/redistribution to either all the states or perhaps just to the selling states? I dunno. It should prove a great mess.

I get the Newegg emails but I don't recall that one. What state are you in?
----

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:59 am

I got free comics from Heroes Corner. :D

They sent me Birds of Prey #118 and Dynamo 5 #13 along with my Previews catalog.

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Postby KingPagla » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:49 am

WebHobbit wrote:I get the Newegg emails but I don't recall that one. What state are you in?
I'm in New York, and now that I looked for the email, I see that it was directed solely at NY customers.

Her it is:

Dear Valued Newegg Customer,

As a result of recent changes in the State of New York Tax Law requiring certain out-of-state retailers to collect and remit sales taxes to the State of New York, we regrettably inform you that Newegg.com must begin collecting applicable state and local sales tax for all orders shipped to New York addresses on or after June 1, 2008.

Qualified business customers can continue to use the Newegg.com Sales Tax Exempt Form.

We value our relationship with you and all of our New York customers. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this change in New York law and assure you that we will continue to work hard to offer you the best prices, fastest shipping and award winning customer service you deserve.

We look forward to continuing to provide you with the premier online shopping experience for all of your IT and Consumer Electronics needs.

Sincerely,

Bernard Luthi
Newegg.com
Company Spokesperson and
Vice President of Merchandising

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Postby KingPagla » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:53 am

JL_Amato wrote:I got free comics from Heroes Corner. :D

They sent me Birds of Prey #118 and Dynamo 5 #13 along with my Previews catalog.
I hope that's an indication of speed. That's a whole week sooner than MOC with USPS.

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:58 am

MechaKingPagla wrote:I hope that's an indication of speed. That's a whole week sooner than MOC with USPS.

It looks to me like instead of packing your box all at once like MOC does Heroes Corner puts the stuff you get in it each week and then all they have to do the last week of the month is seal it up and ship it.

I got my shipping notice from MOC and it looks like my BOC should be here on Tuesday. It used to come on Monday so I don't know what's going on. :(

Midas
cheese

Postby Midas » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:50 pm

JL_Amato wrote:It looks to me like instead of packing your box all at once like MOC does Heroes Corner puts the stuff you get in it each week and then all they have to do the last week of the month is seal it up and ship it.

That seems so logical I can't believe the others don't do that as well!

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Midas wrote:That seems so logical I can't believe the others don't do that as well!

I don't know what it is then.

It amazes me that a package from Heroes Corner can get from Indiana to Virginia in two days while a package from MOC takes about five.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 263 posts

Postby misac » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:34 pm

Can you get a subscription to Previews? I have't bought it in a long time, and I wish I could get it without having to buy in through DCBS.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand