Advertisement

Review Group Week 214 - IRREDEEMABLE #12

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1043 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:17 am

thefourthman wrote:Brand New Day was a little weird, but I would say it has been consistently better than average since New Ways to Die. It has its ups and downs like any other book and if you try to figure out the status quo, your head will explode, but it is fun, entertaining, and current. There is also a mix of fresh new ideas (some work, Mr. Negative... some don't, Jackpot) and a healthy splash of nostalgia.

Here's the thing, on its most basic level.

If OMD is/was the beginning of a plot that will eventually be resolved, I'm cool with it. If it was a story with no other purpose than to undo Peter's marriage, it feels too much like a DC universe reboot to me and drives me crazy. I mean, I don't care one way or the other if Peter is married to MJ. I would just like them to, at some point in the future, address and resolve what, to me, was the beginning of a story. A spider-man story doesn't END with Peter making a deal with Mephisto. Something has to happen later. When I believe that something will happen, I'll jump back on board, maybe pick up some hardcovers.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:18 am

I will DEFINITELY be doing a review this week. I had to review Jeff Parker's Mysterius trade as an obligation first, which I did last night, so I'll be doing this hopefully tomorrow.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:32 am

Jude Terror wrote:I will DEFINITELY be doing a review this week. I had to review Jeff Parker's Mysterius trade as an obligation first, which I did last night, so I'll be doing this hopefully tomorrow.

You make it sound like that book is a chore to read. :? Mysterious is awesome and a fun read.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:41 am

doombug wrote:You make it sound like that book is a chore to read. :? Mysterious is awesome and a fun read.

You're so sensitive!

I loved it and gave it a high score. I just mean it was an obligation because the book comes out soon and I had to get the review done fast because I got it late because I just got on the Wildstorm review copies list two weeks ago (otherwise I would have sent it out to one of the staff writers to review).

In any case, the review will be posted on the front page tomorrow.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:32 am

Jude Terror wrote:You're so sensitive!

Nuh-uh you are! :oops: :lol:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:44 am

doombug wrote:Nuh-uh you are! :oops: :lol:
:lol:

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 68 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:46 am

Punchy wrote:You're almost as much of a hypocrite as Frag.

How am I a hypocrite? You were the hypocrite in that thread because you complained about the same thing that you did in starlord's thread.

My god punchy, you're so dense sometimes. :lol:
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:45 am

Jude Terror wrote:Here's the thing, on its most basic level.

If OMD is/was the beginning of a plot that will eventually be resolved, I'm cool with it. If it was a story with no other purpose than to undo Peter's marriage, it feels too much like a DC universe reboot to me and drives me crazy. I mean, I don't care one way or the other if Peter is married to MJ. I would just like them to, at some point in the future, address and resolve what, to me, was the beginning of a story. A spider-man story doesn't END with Peter making a deal with Mephisto. Something has to happen later. When I believe that something will happen, I'll jump back on board, maybe pick up some hardcovers.

There have been hints since the very beginning of Brand New Day to this day that OMD is a story that will resolve itself eventually. This is most evident every time MJ is in the book, because she remembers more than even Peter seems to know. It is a very long process and epic in that manner.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:47 am

Daddy Fragbucks wrote:How am I a hypocrite? You were the hypocrite in that thread because you complained about the same thing that you did in starlord's thread.

My god punchy, you're so dense sometimes. :lol:

Wait, you did the thing you complained about Punchy doing. How is that not being hypocritical.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:48 am

Exactly how I feel.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:49 am

So after rereading Irredeemable Vol. 1, for the second time, I still don't get it. I have actually read issue 1 three times now and still don't remember much of it.
Furthermore, upon reading Morrison's afterword, I am fully convinced there is another book called Irredeemable that the rest of the comics world is reading that is different from the one I keep reading. The one he describes sounds awesome. The one I keep reading is derivative, boring, and ultimately forgettable. Anyhow, he goes the first reading of volume 2.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:55 am

So volume two was better until the end. It was cool to get real insight into what brought about Plutonian's breakdown, but two things really bugged me in the end of this volume.
1st, Charybdis's little Dues Ex Machina... :roll: . I still have my powers... bite me. If Tony is so omniscent because of his powers, why didn't he know that Cary was all superpowerful upon waking up, wouldn't he especially be paying attention to the heroes that he is trying to take out. Wouldn't all that uncontrolled energy make the hospital moniters freak out... it doesn't gell with the Tony that is presented earlier in the book... sure he is distracted, but he still had the wherewithall to figure out the baddies' plans, why not those he is closest to.
Then there is Samsara being the breaking point. It's a little weak, maybe if there had been more exploration of the relationship between Sam and Tony, I could buy it. But all we know about Sam in this book where everyone is hiding something, we are supposed to take on heresay second accounts.
It's sloppy story telling at best and weakens what was otherwise a very strong stretch of the book. It's a shame, because before I got to issue Eight, I was really starting to dig it.

I'll 9-11 later today and then take another break before I read 12.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:34 am

I'd be OK if they never mentioned Mephisto ever again.

Just concentrate on telling good Spider-Man stories, which is what they're doing.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:37 am

Punchy wrote:I'd be OK if they never mentioned Mephisto ever again.

Just concentrate on telling good Spider-Man stories, which is what they're doing.

really it's not.
a. there are the continuing threads.
b. the only way that story (OMD) is acceptable is that it is resolved... getting JMS off the book would have helped, OMD did not need to happen to get him off the book.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:45 am

thefourthman wrote:really it's not.
a. there are the continuing threads.
b. the only way that story (OMD) is acceptable is that it is resolved... getting JMS off the book would have helped, OMD did not need to happen to get him off the book.

The only threads that really need to be answered don't necessarily have to involve Mephisto, the Harry Osborn reveal proves that. The restoration of the secret identity probably has nothing to do with Mephisto.

I know they probably will address it this year, that jigsaw teaser shows that, but I don't think it's necessary, I'm perfectly fine with them not going back to it, and just moving forwards.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand