Advertisement

Review Group Week 214 - IRREDEEMABLE #12

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:12 am

Looks like the general theme this week is any scenes with Plutonian were good stuff, and anything else wasn't.

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:10 am

Punchy wrote:Looks like the general theme this week is any scenes with Plutonian were good stuff, and anything else wasn't.

Pretty much. The Plutonian is the draw of the book. Fun Time with the Paradigm just isn't that amusing.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:41 am

The book's in my Box O Comics which is delivered today.

Doesn't help tho because I'm traveling for work this week.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:28 pm

MrBlack wrote:Pretty much. The Plutonian is the draw of the book. Fun Time with the Paradigm just isn't that amusing.

The Paradigm should have been killed months ago. I appreciate the need for other characters but those guys are just thoroughly meh.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Irredeemable #12

I've been reading Irredeemable in trades, so I had to read a few issues to get caught up to the point where I could review this issue. While I think the book has maybe hit a bit of a lull in the story since the end of the second volume, it still made for a fun reading experience.

I agree with some of the discussion in this week's thread that Paradigm seems to be taking up a bit more of the book then what they should be. I've liked the Bette Noir subplot, but mostly those characters aren't developed or interesting enough to make for a compelling story. Irredeemable is obviously at it's best when focusing on Plutonian and those portions of this issue were great as usual.

Peter Krause isn't the flashiest superhero artist in the industry, but his work is always well constructed and serves the story well. Diego Barreto's work meshes well with Krause, most books suffer when there are multiple artists working on the same issue, but Irredeemable has weathered the transition nicely.

Story: 8.5
Art: 7.5
Overall: 8

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:50 pm

I actually would like to see the Paradigm fleshed out a bit. Qubit is a fascinating character, but he and Bette Noire are the only members who have gotten much in the way of characterization. Heck, Orian has gotten more panel time than Gilgamos or the white haired girl (See, I can't even remember their names!).

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:52 pm

MrBlack wrote:I actually would like to see the Paradigm fleshed out a bit. Qubit is a fascinating character, but he and Bette Noire are the only members who have gotten much in the way of characterization. Heck, Orian has gotten more panel time than Gilgamos or the white haired girl (See, I can't even remember their names!).

Kaiden? Is it Kaiden?

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Punchy wrote:Kaiden? Is it Kaiden?

Yes, thank you.

We don't even know why her hair is white at this point! It was black in flashbacks.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Irredeemable #12
I read the first trade and it didn't really click with me so much so I never read any further. This may have a been a good issue if you are a fan of the book and up to date with the goings on but for me it fell quite flat. The Plutonion may be an interesting character but I see him as more of a butt hurt crybaby than super villain, especially the part where he kills what looks to be his family? I know a lot of people are enjoying this book and that is great but I find it hard to get behind a book whose characters are either boring or are completely unlikable. I also am not the biggest fan of the art here, this ish had 2 different guys and both were sub par IMO.

STORY - 6

ART - 5

OVERALL - 5.5

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:43 pm

Iredeemable #12
By Waid & Krause.

Waid writes some truly disturbing scenes as we see the Plutonian's further decline into madness and the final pages are pretty grim, but aside from that the book is lagging a bit. There still doesn't seem to be a protagonist who you care for in this book. Most of the characters are ciphers that seem to exist only to further the plot. I mean we find out that one of the characters had an adulterous affair with the Plutonian which might have something to do with his current state of mind but I don't care about the woman or the man she betrayed. All in all it seems a bit flat.

As to the artist, Krause is at best adequate here. There's nothing wrong with the work but neither does it wow me. Functional would be the best term.

Writing 7
Art 5
Total Score 6

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:57 am

Irredeemable #12 Review

I'm not caught up on this book, as I'm collecting it in trade (as it seems many are), so I hesitated to jump ahead like this, but anything for the review group.

For me, the jump of about six issues wasn't too painful, as some old plots are tied up in this issue and some new ones begin. The Plutonian, under the influence of "Sam," takes care of some unfinished business with yet another despicable act, one that demonstrates his cold, ruthless nature while at the same time revealing his inner pain. Also, a long suspected truth about Bette Noir is revealed to the Paradigm, setting the stage for a future resolution to the main plotline... if they are ever able to do anything about it.

Waid does an excellent job here as always, throwing out reveals and character development in an issue that is pretty much all action. We learn some new things, things drastically chance for many of the characters, and the reader is left with the feeling that a lot happened in this single issue. What more could you ask for from a comic?!

I actually preferred the art of Baretto on the first half of this book. He seems to have a knack for drawing action that can sometimes fall flat with Krause, though his art is, as always, consistent and competent.

A fulfilling issue, and a good jumping on point for new readers.

Story: 9
Art: 6
Overall: 7.5
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:16 am

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:32 am

yeah, decided not to read since I trade wait it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:04 am

Irredeemable #12

Written by Mark Waid
Illustrated by Peter Krause & Diego Barreto

So Bette didn't want to be a cheater and that is somehow better than being concerned about Gil's feelings? What a weird ass book filled with weird ass characters.

The whole Plutonian going to see his foster family thing makes sense in its conclusion, but them going there still makes no sense to me. It honestly feels like there was a whole issue missing between 8 and 9.

I didn't get what was up with Joey after his parents died either, did he just go all catatonic and if so, then why can he still holler out "cheerio"?

So Orian sucked Cary into his demon portal thing. Good, that guy sucked. I also like the appearance of A.I.M. agents putting baggies over the heroes head... how Heroes of the book.

This was a bad issue of an average book. Punchy was surprised it scored so low, I am surprised it scored as high.

The art is servicable but nothing to write home about and there are some places (Joey all catatonic) that the script doesn't make sense so It is hard to know what the hell is going on exactly.

Story 3
Art 5
Overall 4

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:19 am

So reading through the reviews, every is astonished that the Paradigm is so flat. Why? Plutonian is the protagonist here, this is Tony's story, everyone else is set dressing. They aren't realized characters, they are hangers on that Tony put in the forefront when people became worried by all the capes. They are all meant to serve a purpose to the larger story of Tony and by making them flat and ultimately unlikeable, Plutonian becomes a sympathetic character, which could not happen if they were fleshed out and righteous.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand