Advertisement

Review Group Week 215 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #626

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:51 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Have you tried the Duke Lacrosse team?

No, but I bet they have the number to some reputable prostitutes. :lol:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:55 pm

thefourthman wrote:No, but I bet they have the number to some reputable prostitutes. :lol:

Probably. Also I expect to not like this issue.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:15 pm

I would have read this on my lunch hour, but I read something else that was recommended by some random asshole that turned out to be crap. :evil:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:16 pm

amlah6 wrote:I would have read this on my lunch hour, but I read something else that was recommended by some random asshole that turned out to be crap. :evil:

not my fault you are broken and shit. book was fun. you suck. that is all.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:not my fault you are broken and shit. book was fun. you suck. that is all.

You need to get on the phone with that lacrosse team stat! Your idea of fun has been warped beyond all recognition.

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Engineering The Future

Postby spidertour02 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Amazing Spider-Man #626

The Good

Finally, Michele is a character! Kind of. Unlike the racist stereotype that she had been up to this point, Michele shows another facet of her previously nonexistent personality. When Peter and Michele meet in the bar at the end of the issue, I got a sense of hope that she might turn out to be something after all. It took them far too long to get here, but at least we're here.

The art by Gaydos is mostly good, and he does very good renditions of Spider-Man, Peter Parker, and Michele Gonzales.

The Bad

The story in this issue was poor, and full of glaring holes.

For starters, the premise of the Hood having a bunch of thugs battle over the Scorpion suit doesn't make any sense considering the Hood's access to superhuman criminals. Also, the entire point of the Scorpion was that he was superhuman, so putting a random thug in the suit accomplishes nothing.

Another glaring inconsistency is Peter's "anonymous white guy" disguise. He banks on his anonymity to avoid getting the crap beat out him ... which wouldn't really work considering that he was all over the newspapers and television only days earlier. I mean, damn, it was only last issue that people were recognizing him on the street and the unemployment line. At least one thug would have recognized him, and then the stories of Peter Parker associating with gangs and criminals would dig him an even deeper hole.

Yet another problem with the story is how Spidey deals with the criminals: he sends tons of steel girders falling on them. Remember, this is the guy that doesn't kill supervillains because his life is an enormous guilt trip. And he drops tons of construction materials onto the bad guys to get away. Right.

And this is one top of little mistakes like Scorpia being able to sting Spidey without any warning from his Spider-sense, or Spider-Man's webshooters suddenly having more recoil than a shotgun. I was also a little disappointed that Van Lente chose to include both Bushwacker and Tombstone, only to give them such meaningless roles in the story. They were simply throwaway hoodlums here.

The Ugly

Gaydos draws the worst renditions of Bushwacker and Tombstone that I have ever seen. In fact, I wouldn't have even recognized Tombstone if he hadn't been identified by name, because Gaydos drew him as a blonde white guy instead of an African-American albino. Whoops.

Grades

Story

I've already aired my big problems with this half-assed attempt at a story, so I don't have anything else to say other than that I would give it a generous 3/10.

Art

I liked the art for the most part, outside of my problems with Bushwacker and Tombstone. I don't care for Gaydos' coloring, but his linework is pretty solid. I think a 7/10 is appropriate.

Overall

Do the math and it's a 5, mostly thanks to the artwork. This series has been getting progressively worse picking itself up last year. All of the positive vibes I had been getting from the excellent issue 600 and the great Chameleon arc that followed are long gone.
Last edited by spidertour02 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:33 pm

amlah6 wrote:You need to get on the phone with that lacrosse team stat! Your idea of fun has been warped beyond all recognition.

Just needs to shine the whore signal imo.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:00 pm

I have picked Jubilee's selection...he'll probably fuck it up though.

- Les Paul

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:04 pm

What you think I should get?

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Jubilee wrote:What you think I should get?

If it's not S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 I'm hopping the pond and kicking you squarely in the nads.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Amazing Spider-Man #626

I read it twice, hoping beyond hope that there would be something in this that I actually enjoyed. There was... one word: "Sup?" One panel, one word, and it actually made me chuckle. That's something that Amazing hasn't done for me since the later part of the twentieth century.

Let me say first and foremost that the art and coloring of this book has never been worse. That's not to say that I don't think there's a place for this art - I believe there is; but it's not this book. This would work in one of Marvel's Noir series rather well.

Story wise, I'm bored. I know Peter has a hard luck life. I knew it back in the early 1970's when I started reading this title. Sure some of the characters are new (and rather boring) but it's the same old song folks. The best story I've read during this Gauntlet is the Rhino's, and it wasn't the new dud that was interesting, it was the next step in the original that had me wanting to read it.

I tried... I really did. Spidey was my first comic, my first love of animation. But this run ranks second worst ever to me, with Devin Grayson and Bruce Jones' run of Nightwing being first.

Story: 1 (only for the 'sup panel)
Art: 0
Final Score: 1 (That 'sup was pretty funny)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:02 pm

Zechs wrote:Well.. I guess I'll have to do this to avoid doing a review.

[meme]shootme[/meme]

No because you have to actually "review" in order to join the group fool. :wink:

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Brian I love you man, your a good guy but giving Michael Gaydos artwork a 0 is beyond insane. :shock: :?

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:10 pm

amlah6 wrote:If it's not S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 I'm hopping the pond and kicking you squarely in the nads.

Oh most definitely.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:11 pm

:lol: Why has Spider-man reverted to the same old, did anyone want this?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand