Advertisement

Review Group Week 214 - IRREDEEMABLE #12

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:24 am

thefourthman wrote:So reading through the reviews, every is astonished that the Paradigm is so flat. Why? Plutonian is the protagonist here, this is Tony's story, everyone else is set dressing. They aren't realized characters, they are hangers on that Tony put in the forefront when people became worried by all the capes. They are all meant to serve a purpose to the larger story of Tony and by making them flat and ultimately unlikeable, Plutonian becomes a sympathetic character, which could not happen if they were fleshed out and righteous.

I think you're giving Waid too much credit.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 178 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:27 am

Punchy wrote:I think you're giving Waid too much credit.

I don't think it is credit all, honestly, I think it is lazy writing. How do I make Plutonian sympathetic? By not giving you anyone else to care about.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:31 am

thefourthman wrote:I don't think it is credit all, honestly, I think it is lazy writing. How do I make Plutonian sympathetic? By not giving you anyone else to care about.

Are we meant to find him sympathetic though?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 178 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:32 am

Punchy wrote:Are we meant to find him sympathetic though?

Waid is writing him so that we understand his descent that is a form of Sympathy. Whether he is redeemed or remains sympathetic is another thing. He just comes off as whiny to me.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:14 am

Ok here goes my attempt to catch up on my reviews. I'll start out with Irredeemable.

I've been on board with this since the first issue and enjoyed the heck out of the first several issues. I was genuinely interested in seeing what would cause the top superhero to completely lose his shit but I must say I've lost interest as the series went on. This could have been a great mini-series but I feel that making this an ongoing has dragged the story out unnecessarily. It's weird seeing the plutonian killing kids in one scene and then feeling bad for him in another. I still don't really know what to make of him. The rest of the characters are also all just so bland. None of them really jump off the page as being interesting at all. It's almost like i don't really care if they live or die. I think it's this lack of interesting characters that has shut me off to this series. To the point where i think issue 12 will be my last. I like Mark Waid a lot and I think the guy can be great at times, but I wouldn't call this one of his best efforts.

Story 4
Art 7

Overall 5.5

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand